Nissan Z: 400hp, $40k, manual

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Cars are ultimately cars, even sports cars. I think shifting to a high revving gear should really be just for achieving a particular speed. Once you get there, then there is no need to over rev the engine. If I want to get to 100mph quickly, I will, but I wont keep the car in the wrong gear because I know thats silly.
You are not understanding why sports cars have high-revving engines, generally.

1) maximize power output
2) keep engine in the peak power band when racing

Reactions: zinfamous

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
You are not understanding why sports cars have high-revving engines, generally.

1) maximize power output
2) keep engine in the peak power band when racing

That's true. And if you and I were racing head to head that is what I would do to beat you.

But if I'm just going to pick up groceries.....2k or less RPMs is where I want to be once I'm going max speed.

I dunno, maybe I've just gotten used to low rpm movement.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
That's true. And if you and I were racing head to head that is what I would do to beat you.

But if I'm just going to pick up groceries.....2k or less RPMs is where I want to be once I'm going max speed.

I dunno, maybe I've just gotten used to low rpm movement.
I think this is it 😛 And for anything remotely "daily" I agree 100%!

I will never forget riding my Ninja1000 street bike on a racetrack and then riding my friend's R6.

The Ninja was tuned for mid-range torque, so you could sit at 6000rpm in 6th gear, go full throttle, and pull away no problem. So I was lazy as hell riding it, even on a track (it actually had a pretty anemic top end starting at 8500-9000rpm).

I hop on the R6, and first thing is the throttle is so sensitive that any slight change in hand position will rev the engine up or down, and I can feel the bike pitching front and back as the engine winds up. Feeling like quite the idiot because I never had that issue on the Ninja.
Then I hit the main straight - where I'm happily at 6000rpm - and hit the gas. And NOTHING. 7000...8000....9000...10-11-12-13-14-15 holyyyy!

Tuned totally for high-end power 😂😂 I remember Yamaha marketing the R6 as a great street bike, but now they've moved to triples for a good blend of low-end torque and high-end power.

Reactions: FelixDeCat

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Like the looks. Like the idea of owning one. 40k seems like solid pricing for poverty spec.
However, as far I'm concerned, this is a 50K car. I wouldn't get it unless is had the LSD and the only way to get that is with the performance package.
Based on the reported performance, 50K is an appropriate price. My guess, is that the only cars on lots are going to be proto spec cars with major markups

(However, for that amount of coin, I would more likely be at the VW placing my order of Mk8 Golf R 6spd instead.)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Cars are ultimately cars, even sports cars. I think shifting to a high revving gear should really be just for achieving a particular speed. Once you get there, then there is no need to over rev the engine. If I want to get to 100mph quickly, I will, but I wont keep the car in the wrong gear because I know thats silly.

you don't know how the powerband works?

again, you haven't driven sports cars and so don't know why they are made to do what they do.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Like the looks. Like the idea of owning one. 40k seems like solid pricing for poverty spec.
However, as far I'm concerned, this is a 50K car. I wouldn't get it unless is had the LSD and the only way to get that is with the performance package.
Based on the reported performance, 50K is an appropriate price. My guess, is that the only cars on lots are going to be proto spec cars with major markups

(However, for that amount of coin, I would more likely be at the VW placing my order of Mk8 Golf R 6spd instead.)

'twas said that the proto are already sold out, before they were made...so yeah, some will be on lots, but like @AdamK47 and his R8, they will all have been sold before they arrive...while the dealers still take offers from chubs that just want to hang out at the dealership for some insane reason.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
what does that mean--like, only transmissions for electric motors? ...I can't think of a single-geared automatic transmission ever fit to a gas or hybrid car?

and I mean performance-wise, there's no way that any manual transmission out there can beat the best of the DSGs.

No, nothing to do with EV's, as they're just single-speed anyway like the Tesla. My Renegade was a 9-speed auto (absolutely hated that transmission!) & I've rented 8-speeds & driven 10-speeds (ex. Ford's 10-speed Mustang) and I personally don't care for any of them, other than the Kia Stinger 8-speed, which is actually the nicest one I've personally driven. Those are all separate from like 7-speed DCT's etc.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
No, nothing to do with EV's, as they're just single-speed anyway like the Tesla. My Renegade was a 9-speed auto (absolutely hated that transmission!) & I've rented 8-speeds & driven 10-speeds (ex. Ford's 10-speed Mustang) and I personally don't care for any of them, other than the Kia Stinger 8-speed, which is actually the nicest one I've personally driven. Those are all separate from like 7-speed DCT's etc.

I guess I didn't understand what you meant by "multispeed auto," because I thought that all automatic transmissions have always been "multispeed." ...I just assumed you meant to say that you hate automatic transmissions, hah. Or rather some specific type.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I guess I didn't understand what you meant by "multispeed auto," because I thought that all automatic transmissions have always been "multispeed." ...I just assumed you meant to say that you hate automatic transmissions, hah. Or rather some specific type.

I should have clarified over the standard 5/6-speed automatics haha. Now they have 7, 8, 9, 10, etc. Awhile back they were working on 11-speed triple-clutch automatics, dunno if that ever went anywhere:

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
'twas said that the proto are already sold out, before they were made...so yeah, some will be on lots, but like @AdamK47 and his R8, they will all have been sold before they arrive...while the dealers still take offers from chubs that just want to hang out at the dealership for some insane reason.

Hanging out a Nissan dealership (shudders).

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
Glanced at pricing and looks like there is a 3k difference for the manual versions of the supra and z. I expected them to keep the price a bit further away and I didn't expect Toyota to charge a price premium for a manual over the auto. If they didn't then then they'd be nearly the same price.

When I bought mine I got 5.7K off. If I had to pay retail then I'm not sure about the Supra now that's getting close to 60k. Unless you had to have a 2 seat sports car, there are better driving cars once you hit the 60k number.

Reactions: Kaido

Dranoche

Jul 6, 2009
Glanced at pricing and looks like there is a 3k difference for the manual versions of the supra and z. I expected them to keep the price a bit further away and I didn't expect Toyota to charge a price premium for a manual over the auto. If they didn't then then they'd be nearly the same price.

When I bought mine I got 5.7K off. If I had to pay retail then I'm not sure about the Supra now that's getting close to 60k. Unless you had to have a 2 seat sports car, there are better driving cars once you hit the 60k number.
Nissan is offering the manual at both trim levels for the Z and officially with no pricing difference between auto and manual, so you can theoretically get a manual at the $40k base.

Toyota press releases on the 2023MY Supra from a month ago indicated that you should be able to get a manual on all 3.0L Supras for the same price as the auto, but the website is showing $2.6k more for manual on the 3.0 Base and $1.2k more for manual on the 3.0 Premium. The website is also seems to be limiting trim and transmission options in the build process based on zip code but there doesn't seem to be any other price trickery going on from that.

YuliApp

Dec 27, 2017
desirehive.com
I would suspect the manuals, especially in this level of enthusiasm are way harder to keep working during the warranty. Automatic is much more forgiving on drivetrain and engine.