Nissan to sell electric car in 3 years

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Nissan plans to sell electric cars
Japan's No. 2 automaker will also pursue hybrids to catch up with Honda and Toyota.
November 26 2006: 9:15 AM EST

Tokyo (Reuters) -- Nissan Motor Co. plans to develop and start selling subcompact electric cars powered by self-developed lithium-ion batteries in about three years, the Nihon Keizai (Nikkei) business daily reported on Sunday.

Japan's No. 2 automaker also plans to develop and sell gas-electric hybrid cars by 2010 in an attempt to catch up with rivals Honda Motor Co. and Toyota Motor Corp. in the field of eco-friendly vehicles, Nikkei said.

In co-operation with its French partner Renault SA, Nissan will speed up the expansion of its line-up of diesel cars, that are in growing demand globally, Nikkei said.

Nissan will also strive to develop bioethanol cars with the help of Renault, Nikkei said, adding that the Japanese automaker would provide Renault with fuel cell and hybrid car technologies.

Company officials were not immediately available for comment.

link

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
Well im still not totally sold on the usefullness of electric cars, but still its nice to know that companies are exploring all options. Although i'm sure the first ones will suck and only be bought by rich liberals and such. At the very least having an appreciable percentage of electric cars would give us a much better footing for contolling our reliance on foreign oil, but the numbers needed are still decades away (assuming anyone chooses to adopt them at all).

Black88GTA

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2003
Originally posted by: BrownTown
Well im still not totally sold on the usefullness of electric cars, but still its nice to know that companies are exploring all options. Although i'm sure the first ones will suck and only be bought by rich liberals and such. At the very least having an appreciable percentage of electric cars would give us a much better footing for contolling our reliance on foreign oil, but the numbers needed are still decades away (assuming anyone chooses to adopt them at all).

Actually, the first (AFAIK) fully-electric production car was the EV1, built by GM and sold beginning in 1996.

A fully-electric wouldn't be my first choice, but somebody will buy them.