nipple piercing help!

sad-crepe

Aug 13, 2018
Okay, so I got both of my nipples pierced yesterday and the piercers put really sticky plasters (band aids) over them which I had to peel off in the shower later that night. Of course, it was rather painful considering they were stuck on my areolas, but even now, nearly 24 hours after they've been peeled off, the areolas are quite painful still, and I can see a red square outline where the plaster was! The piercings themselves feel fine (except for when I accidently knock them), but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for the discomfort around the areola?

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Had both my nipples done 20 years ago, they are gone now but I can't think of anything that made the pain better besides hardcore painkillers. Pretty much I just suffered that first week especially.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
@sad-crepe

Don't stick plasters on your nipples. You could try a square of gauze, placing that over your nipple, then use some kind of medically suitable tape (test if you're allergic to it first if need be) in two parallel strips to hold it in place while also giving the piercing maximum airflow so it heals properly.

I'm a bit surprised that any piercing establishment worth a damn would apparently completely seal a pierced area in a plaster as it's not conducive to long-term healing as air is required in order to let the skin breathe and the wound to stay reasonably dry.

I wouldn't recommend showering either. Have a wash, keep the washing away from your nipples and also - at least hopefully - the piercer gave you guidance on how and when to wash the piercings. I've had a pierced nipple before and it was long enough ago that I don't remember the initial instructions well enough.

If your piercer really didn't bother to tell you how to take care of the piercings to stop them going super-funky, I'd suggest getting some recommendations for a decent piercer and get advice from them. Nipples are a highly stressed area because common body movements will move and stretch the skin, as well as the clothes you wear brushing against them (wear loose clothing and breathable materials such as cotton).

You've basically got two open wounds with foreign objects stuck in them, the body doesn't like that very much. If you don't manage the healing process correctly, you'll have an infection in no time.

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Had both my nipples done 20 years ago, they are gone now but I can't think of anything that made the pain better besides hardcore painkillers. Pretty much I just suffered that first week especially.

The piercings or your nipples? :D

Bubblehappy

Aug 14, 2010
I can't believe they put bandaids on them. I had one done at a local shop and took a GF there a few months later to have hers done, neither of us got bandaged.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I hear strong magnets help. Put paper clips where the piercing holes are to act as flux inducers and just go for a walk in the diagnostic imaging department of the hospital and see if there's a MRI room with the door left open, just walk up to the machine.

Reactions: pcgeek11

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Actual photo of OP:

products-herb_alpert_whipped_cream_sealed_mono1.jpg

Reactions: highland145