Nintendo to announce new version of GBA

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gotsmack

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2001
is this thing going to be an enhancement of graphics hardware or is it a repackaged GBA?

Funyuns101

Platinum Member
Jun 15, 2002
that does look pretty cool, but i don't want a bulit-in mp3 player on the gba, cuz it'll only up the cost.. and i already have a c d/mp3 player... i guess i'll be sellling mine as well...

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: z0mb13
Also I read on EGM that you can add a thingie so ur gamecube can play GBA games!! ON BIG SCREEEN!!! YEAAAAHHH!!!!!

also it will cost only about 40 buks

Yeah, you won't even need a gameboy to play the gameboy games either. The desk sits under the unit and has a slot for the games on the front.

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: dc
too bad it doesn't double as a mp3 player or anything. =/

Actually I think they are going to make small add ons to this one to make it like a mini PC. It looks like a mini laptop now without a keyboard. ....though it doesn't look very ergonomic at all. IB its hard on your hands. I would have liked it if they would have used the other GBadvance design and just added the light. Oh well..

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
What? No bluetooth? I guess if they really wanted to they could make a multiplayer game that had bluetooth tx/rx built-in to the cartridge, but it would be expensive!

alm99

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Chadder007
Originally posted by: dc
too bad it doesn't double as a mp3 player or anything. =/

Actually I think they are going to make small add ons to this one to make it like a mini PC. It looks like a mini laptop now without a keyboard. ....though it doesn't look very ergonomic at all. IB its hard on your hands. I would have liked it if they would have used the other GBadvance design and just added the light. Oh well..

myself included, 3.5" by 3.5" it like playing on a floppy.

Aenygma

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2001
The GBA SP is not backlight, its just frontlit, which while much better is still not as good as backlighting.

If backlighting is soooo hard as a few have said (battery wise) why does our backlit PDA last for 8 hours straight? And to keep bringing up the GG as a reason is kinda stretching things... I mean Moses had a GG, I would hope we have made advances.

On positive points, it does look nicer, though would have to actually hold one. The flatter buttons... so they don't scratch the lens have to be felt for tactile feel. As for mp3 player, you can get the Songpro which is 80 bucks which turns them into an MP3 player, but too bad you can't play AND listen.

Overall, a step in the right direction, and prolly the fastest ever response time from the big N to consumer complaints.

Originally posted by: JOSEPHLB
2.4-by-1.6 inch screen

Is this the same size as the current GBA ??

Yup, its the same screen, just re-packaged.
:)

Feb 24, 2001
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
Pretty nice! I gotta question how comfortable the pad & buttons feel though - looks, um, uncomfortable

Gamespot has a hands-on up and say that the shoulder buttons are more comfortable. Basically says not to worry about comfort, that it'll be fine. Kinda along the lines of the regular GB. While not great, it'll suffice.

MaxDSP

Lifer
May 15, 2001
i may actually buy this. Would make a great toy to have when bored at work or sitting in class :p

Apr 5, 2000
Originally posted by: BrunoPuntzJones
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
Pretty nice! I gotta question how comfortable the pad & buttons feel though - looks, um, uncomfortable

Gamespot has a hands-on up and say that the shoulder buttons are more comfortable. Basically says not to worry about comfort, that it'll be fine. Kinda along the lines of the regular GB. While not great, it'll suffice.

Ahh yea I just looked at a more close-up pic of it - it does look like a regular GB. All in all that might be better now that I think about it - I kinda disliked having the GBA screen in the middle between the pad and buttons - I guess I was just used to the regular GB. Being able to tilt the screen to your viewing angle is cool too :)

Smolek

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
sounds good but with its compacted size, how easy is it to play will have to be seen. Could be a problem especially for those with bigger hands.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
looks like an old GB, except folded. i really hope they made the shoulder buttons more comfortable.

Dragnov

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Mmmm, me want. Looks like I'll be selling my orginal GBA around February.

The fact that its much smaller and I can actually liek stick it in my pocket or something is awesome. It protects its own screen from scratches, and the light... i'm sold.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: NutBucket
Originally posted by: pulse8
Why is it so hard to have a backlit LCD on those damn things?

Battery Life. GameGear had a cold cathode back there, hence crappy battery life.

my guess is that your thinking of old technology. i believe we use white leds for lighting some screens now, not cold cathode. batterylife is just fine with afterburner.

1 inch thick does kinda seem iffy though.

HiTek21

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2002
Sweet and only about a hundred bucks. Thank god I didn't invest in that After Burner kit yet.