NiN - new album (tracks 1-9 are free)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SleepWalkerX

Platinum Member
Jun 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Parasitic
BAH! This is EPIC FAIL.

One time download ONLY if you paid for it? I kept getting cut off when trying to download the FLAC version after paying the $5 and now I can't redo it...

I love NIN but this is just simply RIDICULOUS!

My flac download is cutting off too. Btw, it said on their site that if you register at nin.com you can login and redownload it from their site as much as you want.

Personally though i see no problems right now. I just started up my flac download again and its working.

I'm so happy that they've found a business model that appears very successful. $5 for a flac album loaded with content and album art? That's more than worth it. Good for Nine Inch Nails, they deserve every penny of that! I hope they think about starting some sort of new label to be able to use a similar releasing strategy.

Nohr

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2001
www.flickr.com
I put up a mirror of tracks 1-9, 320kbps MP3s. I used MP3Gain to change the album gain to 89.0dB (6 tracks were clipping).

Please don't link to my mirror elsewhere, I don't have enough bandwidth for the masses!

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Nohr
I put up a mirror of tracks 1-9, 320kbps MP3s. I used MP3Gain to change the album gain to 89.0dB (6 tracks were clipping).

Please don't link to my mirror elsewhere, I don't have enough bandwidth for the masses!

Which clips were you seeing clipping?

shocksyde

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2001
Originally posted by: aplefka
Wasn't too impressed with their last offering so I'll probably wait on this one.

This is much different. They released a torrent of the first disc to make up for the server issues. It's free, check it out.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
This album is kinda weird. It's like listening to Trent Reznor free styling on a keyboard in his home studio!

shocksyde

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2001
Originally posted by: ultimatebob
This album is kinda weird. It's like listening to Trent Reznor free styling on a keyboard in his home studio!

It's really ambient at times. Would make for a really cool video game soundtrack, don't you think?

jamesbond007

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
Are you positively sure it's clipping? There are sounds where it may lead an analyzer to believe it's clipping, but it sounds like an FX of some sort. I'm listening on a finely tuned system with nice Sennheisers.

As for the tracks, I chose the free option. So far...it's meh. I prefer Trent's crazy voice, hardcore instruments, and the edgy lyrics.

Nohr

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2001
www.flickr.com
Originally posted by: jamesbond007
Are you positively sure it's clipping? There are sounds where it may lead an analyzer to believe it's clipping, but it sounds like an FX of some sort. I'm listening on a finely tuned system with nice Sennheisers.
As I understand it MP3Gain can detect clipping that may happen so quickly during playback that you or I may not hear it. The tracks only had to be lowered 1.5dB to 'fix' the clipping so that might be the case.