Nikon P7000

apathy_next2

Jun 15, 2010
A friend of mine is selling for like $260-275.
Excellent condition, hasn't been used all that much.

Do you guys think this is a good buy for that price?

fralexandr

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2007
www.flickr.com
As long as you like the handling of that camera, that's a great buy for the price. Have you tried it out before? it might be a bit more difficult to use than other point and shoots, as it's meant to be a more advanced/professional point and shoot
it's in competition with the canon s95
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q42010highendcompactgroup/page18.asp
you can compare the nikon p7000 to the canon s95 using the compare button
the canon s95 is alot easier to use, but not as good for movies (to be fair, the canon is a pretty old (technology-wise) camera)

Last edited:

apathy_next2

Jun 15, 2010
I've tried it at the stores, that's about it. Seemed to take some nice pictures.
I am just worried a bit about the shutter cap thing getting stuck, has anything heard anything about that?
Read about it on amazon, few people having problems with it.

fralexandr

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2007
www.flickr.com
the problem seems to develop early in most cameras that exhibit the problem (first few weeks to a month depending on usage)
googling lens cover problem returns many such results, it's probably a common problem that effects a small though significant fraction of these cameras (Obvious note is obvious ;))

if the camera still has a lot of the warranty left you might be able to have your friend get it exchanged perhaps multiple times (if the problem reoccurs), otherwise I think you're the only one who can assess if the risk is worth it.

Last edited:

apathy_next2

Jun 15, 2010
I decided not to buy it and I bought a Sony DSC-HX5V instead, it has a lot of features. I know its not the best that I can buy, but for $110 used(and in great condition) I thought it was a good buy.
Have a small camera for family use that everyone can use easily and easily portable. I can get a DSLR or something later on if I'm still interested.

Thanks for your help!