Nikon D7000.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Cattykit

Nov 3, 2009
So what's the word on the magnesium body on this? I keep seeing reference to being partially magnesium, but the "leaked" pictures looked pretty complete to me.

I'm trying to come up with a good reason to cancel my pre-order and a partial metal body vs full might sway me towards waiting for something better.

Of course at this point I'll be waiting for the refresh of one of the higher models since the D7000 has pretty well eclipsed the D300S for the moment.

Viper GTS

Based on a few pictures I've seen, I conclude that the top and back side of the camera is made with magnesium. The front is not and I'm not sure about the bottom.

Fayd

Diamond Member
Jun 28, 2001
www.manwhoring.com
Korean? Where did you get that? (not that I really care.... it's just that this seems a really ODD discussion to have in a camera thread.)

to be fair, most the gold farmers i met in lineage 2 had characters with names like "kisscat" and such. lots of things to do with cats.

and most of them were chinese or some other south-east asian country.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
So what's the word on the magnesium body on this? I keep seeing reference to being partially magnesium, but the "leaked" pictures looked pretty complete to me.

I'm trying to come up with a good reason to cancel my pre-order and a partial metal body vs full might sway me towards waiting for something better.

Of course at this point I'll be waiting for the refresh of one of the higher models since the D7000 has pretty well eclipsed the D300S for the moment.

Viper GTS
It's "top and rear covers" so I guess it's not completely mag alloy. Though, they say it's "dust and moisture sealed" (taken from the press release). Though, I doubt it's anything like say, the K7. Which I'm still waiting for canikon to copy... small and rugged.

PurdueRy

Lifer
Nov 12, 2004
Sweet camera. Should be similar to the recent Sony's. Initially I was really impressed by the autofocus upgrade but then I read that it has 9 cross type AF points. IMO the rest of the points are just "spamming" the spec column similar to when Canon jumped from 15MP to 18MP. Really what I would want autofocus wise is 9 points spread in the rule of thirds. Perhaps the extra points will help when tracking sports/action but I rarely do this.

Aynway, I've not been real interested in camera bodies lately. I imagine it will be another couple generations before the new features of bodies compell me to upgrade from my 50D. I've been putting my money into lenses which I now have a 17-55mm F2.8, 100mm F2.8L and 35 F1.4L. After buying the 35L though I'm not sure how many more lenses I'm drooling over. Maybe a UWA at some point. I would like to see version II's of the 17-55mm and the 35mm F1.4L.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
And don't even bother comparing it to the 7D. It's very clearly a class below.
Why not? Isn't the 7D just "slightly faster, slightly MORE resolution, slightly more HD video specs"?

Cattykit

Nov 3, 2009
So just how is it just SOOOOOO much better than the 60D? And don't even bother comparing it to the 7D. It's very clearly a class below.

I've already explained how D7000 is "just SOOOOOO much better than 60D." Obviously, it's just way too much better though the difference in price is only $100. Now, let's look at how D7000 compares to 7d:

D7000 vs. 7d

MP: 1620 vs 1800
Native ISO: 100- 6400 both
Extended ISO: 100-25,600 vs. 12800
AF points: 39 vs 14
Cross type AF : 9 vs 19
Max shutter: 1/8000 both
FPS : 6 vs 8 fps
Interval shooting: Yes vs no
Spot metering using : 39 vs 1 AF point
Viewfinder: 100x0.94 vs 100x1
Video: 1080p 24fps vs. 1080 24, 30 fps
720p 30fps vs. 720 60fps
Body: Partial vs Full magnesium

Price: $1200 vs. $1500 - 1700

Yes, 7D is better but they're quite comparable unlike 60d vs. D7000. Now that we've looked at three cameras, let's examine your post.

You clearly implied D7000 is not really better than 60D. At the same time, you also mentioned D7000 is a class below 7D and that one shouldn't "even bother comparing it to the 7D."

Are you out of your mind? If D7000 is only a bit better than 60D and that there's not much of a difference, D7000 and 7D should be regarded as a same kind.
If the difference between 7D and D7000 is that huge to the point there's no point of comparing both cameras, you should've decleared that the difference between 60D and D7000 is earthshaking.

However, you failed to do so and your own posts in this thread contradict with each other. Here's a suggestion: don't try to argue with someone when your own thoughts are fighting against each other.

Last edited:

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
hough, I doubt it's anything like say, the K7. Which I'm still waiting for canikon to copy... small and rugged.

Which has been updated to the K5. K7 with an improved K-x sensor and some other bells and whistles, possibly? Should be a nice camera. (though Pentax really needs to straighten out their naming scheme)

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
I upgraded from a D40 a few months ago, knowing full well a D90 replacement would come. D90 is leaps and bounds more camera than the D40. Plus, i told myself if hold out another 2 years or more for an upgrade, the next gen is gonna be awesome.

On a side note: i read that the D7000 will now meter AI/AIS lenses. Ugggh .. i'd love that option for a my AIS 55mm 1.2 =(

Do you ever miss the 1/500 xsync? I seriously wish newer cameras would have that feature.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Do you ever miss the 1/500 xsync? I seriously wish newer cameras would have that feature.

IIRC its because of the shutter type, the D70 and 40 had IIRC a electronic shutter and not a mechanical one, even the D3 only sync at 250/320

This might be my next camera, but im gonna wait till full reviews pop up. Its basically between this and a D300s i think.

unless i really feel like springing for a D700

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
IIRC its because of the shutter type, the D70 and 40 had IIRC a electronic shutter and not a mechanical one, even the D3 only sync at 250/320

This might be my next camera, but im gonna wait till full reviews pop up. Its basically between this and a D300s i think.

unless i really feel like springing for a D700

Yeah, the D40 has a combination electronic/mechanical shutter. With all this technological progress, it'll be nice if modern cameras could have something similar.

Sid59

Lifer
Sep 2, 2002

Yeah i miss it on occasion but there extras of the D90 far outweight the D40. After owning the D40 for years and the D90 for a little less than year, there are a few things i miss about the D40.

Size - i liked the size of the D40 but it was a bit too small for my hands but i wanted go to entry. before i bough the D40, i bought the D80 and returned it a week later, at the time, the D80 was more cam than i wanted. The D90 feels better in my hand but it's heavier. when i pair it with the 18-200 or the 70-200, i notice the extra weight.

Simple 3 point focus. Without needed to dig in the menus, i can thumb through the 3 AF points and it was usually spot-on, didn't have to recompose and re-focus. ON occasion, i'd forget to reset to center and had some pictures out of focus.

The D90 was a nice upgrade, more MP, bracketing, AF older lens and more AF points were the main reasons i upgraded. Having a TOP LCD is nice.

Hopefully, when i upgrade 5-6 years, there'll be more tech and a cheaper point. At this point, i'm happy with the D90, gonan save money, get an older SB-600 and 2 more lenses.

Cattykit

Nov 3, 2009
K-5 is officially announced and I'm disappointed. Pentax really has some guts to release this camera for $1600 when D7000 is only $1200. They must be joking. In current market, one can buy superior 7D and D300s cheaper than K-5. What a stupid move.