Nike Nixes 'Betsy Ross Flag' Shoe After Kaepernick Intervenes

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 25, 2013
This, ive never seen the 13 stars used by the american nazi's. If they did fuckem. The betsy ross flag is a american flag and i fly it every 4th. Besides didnt this whole thing start with it being a symbol of slavery??

Here ya go

1562268147169.jpeg

and all the way back to 1939

1562268235835.jpeg

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
So he didn’t give them additional taxes he just didn’t not give them tax breaks. Lol. Do you know how math works.

Again, glad to see what conservatives think about the constitution.
Handing out a tax break to entice a company to build in a particular state is a state issue. They can do it or not. Not giving a tax break is an entirely different matter than a tax increase.
Nike doesn't have a constitutional right to a tax break, though they may have a contractual right if the deal was already signed.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Handing out a tax break to entice a company to build in a particular state is a state issue. They can do it or not. Not giving a tax break is an entirely different matter than a tax increase.
Nike doesn't have a constitutional right to a tax break, though they may have a contractual right if the deal was already signed.

This is incorrect. They do not have a constitutional right to a tax break but Arizona is constitutionally prohibited from making tax breaks conditional on whether or not Nike engages in political speech.

Arizona will get sued and the courts will do a tap dance on them for violating the first amendment.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
This is incorrect. They do not have a constitutional right to a tax break but Arizona is constitutionally prohibited from making tax breaks conditional on whether or not Nike engages in political speech.

Arizona will get sued and the courts will do a tap dance on them for violating the first amendment.
Nope. Arizona wanted Nike in their state, then changed their minds, end of story. Nike isn't going to piss off an entire state for a place to make shoes when they can have Chinese slave labor make them for penny's on the dollar.
The entire affair is world class stupid, and one more reason to make the entire internet read only. We've become a nation of petty grievances.

Reactions: pcgeek11

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Nope. Arizona wanted Nike in their state, then changed their minds, end of story.

Sorry, that’s not how the Constitution works. If Arizona changed their mind because of Nike’s political speech, as is obvious here, then they have violated the first amendment and will be held accountable.

The government can’t grant or take away tax benefits based on the political speech of the recipient. It’s always kind of amazing when conservatives who claim to revere the constitution endorse this sort of blatant violation of the first amendment.

Nike isn't going to piss off an entire state for a place to make shoes when they can have Chinese slave labor make them for penny's on the dollar.
The entire affair is world class stupid, and one more reason to make the entire internet read only. We've become a nation of petty grievances.

The entire affair is world class stupid, that is true.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I bet it's going to become a white supremacist flag now that Kaepernick spoke out against it. So Nike just skipped ahead a few steps :)

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Arizona will be gentrified by liberal young Californians chasing cheaper rents, like Nevada was.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
DAMN....!!!!!!
Those were some nice shoes.
And when I seen the shoes then heard they were not gonna to happen, I WAS PISSED.
Not that I care for Nikes and would never wear them, but those were good looking shoes and I loved the flag.
I'd buy a pair only for a keepsake. A collectable of sorts.
So..... WTF?
Now the good ole stars and stripes is off limit?
And Bessie Ross is some disgusting American whore?
This is ridiculous. Totally!
Let the shoes happen, and F your pissy thinned shinned politically correct anal philosophy.
So whats next, banning the smile because it may indicate you are in a good mood, while others may not share your happiness?
And we wouldn't want to insult Debbie downer, gaud forbid....
Better be careful America, I just might vote for Donald Trump if this politically correct BS continues.

And by the way, the Nazis were also aligned with the Catholic religion.
So are Catholics Nazis now too?
This flag was an American symbol and America freedom. Just because someone else, some other group uses the flag to wipe their ass doesn't mean that group automatically then owns it. Betsy Ross owns it. The American people own it.
And it makes one damn good looking pair of shoes.

0703_CTM_NikeShoes_Duncan_1885005_1920x1080.jpg

Last edited:

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Finally, we found one recent picture. I searched the entire interweb and found a couple of other recent pics with the flag being used by Nazis or white supremacist. This is turning out to be like the Punisher skull symbol nothingburger we had a while back.
It was a nothing burger from day one.

Reactions: Luna1968

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Arizona will be gentrified by liberal young Californians chasing cheaper rents, like Nevada was.

That plus the continued demographic shift in the electorate across the southwest.

Latinos went 70/30 for Sinema and I don't imagine that the GOP has improved their standing with all that's gone on since.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Sorry, that’s not how the Constitution works. If Arizona changed their mind because of Nike’s political speech, as is obvious here, then they have violated the first amendment and will be held accountable.

The government can’t grant or take away tax benefits based on the political speech of the recipient. It’s always kind of amazing when conservatives who claim to revere the constitution endorse this sort of blatant violation of the first amendment.

The entire affair is world class stupid, that is true.

Perhaps one of the most disgusting things that has been mainstreamed in my lifetime is this idea of bribing multinationals with taxpayer dollars to move to your state (I don't believe this happened in the past but I could be wrong). Scott Walker's worst move as governor was to bribe Foxconn with an ungodly sum of taxpayer money to move here (this will be the biggest trainwreck to happen to Wisconsin in my lifetime).

In any event, it is unhelpful to the nation as a whole to have states in bidding wars against each other to see which one can give away the most taxpayer money to bribe corporations.

I can't see Nike suing over a million dollar grant, that is a rounding error in their accounting. A multinational suing a state over a few taxpayer pennies is not a good look and would be difficult to spin for profit.

The conspiracy theorist in me suspects that this entire episode was a publicity stunt from inception. The amount of press coverage Nike garnered from this is through the roof. Nike is an international company, this move probably plays well overseas and parts of their key demographic in America. If it was a stunt, it was brilliant and Nike will definitely profit from it. There is a reason the elite are the elite, I could have never thought up such a clever scheme.

Last edited:

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
This has manufactured crisis written all over it. Nike loves being in the news for these types of things.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Perhaps one of the most disgusting things that has been mainstreamed in my lifetime is this idea of bribing multinationals with taxpayer dollars to move to your state (I don't believe this happened in the past but I could be wrong). Scott Walker's worst move as governor was to bribe Foxconn with an ungodly sum of taxpayer money to move here (this will be the biggest trainwreck to happen to Wisconsin in my lifetime).

In any event, it is unhelpful to the nation as a whole to have states in bidding wars against each other to see which one can give away the most taxpayer money to bribe corporations.

I completely agree with you that corporate welfare of this type is a terrible idea for the country and should be done away with. That's no reason to excuse Arizona's clear and obvious violation of the first amendment though. (if they go through with trying to remove the tax breaks that is)

I can't see Nike suing over a million dollar grant, that is a rounding error in their accounting. A multinational suing a state over a few taxpayer pennies is not a good look and would be difficult to spin for profit.

The conspiracy theorist in me suspects that this entire episode was a publicity stunt from inception. The amount of press coverage Nike garnered from this is through the roof. Nike is an international company, this move probably plays well overseas and parts of their key demographic in America. If it was a stunt, it was brilliant and Nike will definitely profit from it. There is reason the elite are the elite, I could have never thought up such a clever scheme.

It could be a stunt, beats me.