Nice price on EPYC 7742 and 7402

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
@pututu , I can't get past the capcha.

Edit: I registered, hopefully, not a second account as markfw15, and lets see if it gets approved before these are gone. I only got one of mine for this price.

Last edited:

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
I'd ask if these are locked to a specific vendor such as Dell. I've been reading about many more locked 2nd gen epycs coming to the resell market lately.

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
I'd ask if these are locked to a specific vendor such as Dell. I've been reading about many more locked 2nd gen epycs coming to the resell market lately.
I PM'd the seller earlier to ask if they were vendor locked and he didn't think they are. I just sent payment over for the 7742's so they should no longer be available. My apologies for getting to it first to anybody here that may have been trying to buy them.

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
Beat me to it . I wanted both 7742's. At least the power is still at Anandtech !
If you didn't already have a Hardforum account you probably wouldn't have been able to buy them anyways. There's a rule that you have to have at least 100 posts to participate in FS/T there, but even if the seller ignored that I think you cannot send a PM there until you have a certain number of posts.

@Icecold , if you need any recommendations on motherboards or memory, let me know, I have 3 of those.
I appreciate the offer. I was thinking this motherboard but am open to suggestions - https://www.newegg.com/asrock-rack-...s-processors/p/N82E16813140060?quicklink=true

Markfw

May 16, 2002
If you didn't already have a Hardforum account you probably wouldn't have been able to buy them anyways. There's a rule that you have to have at least 100 posts to participate in FS/T there, but even if the seller ignored that I think you cannot send a PM there until you have a certain number of posts.

I appreciate the offer. I was thinking this motherboard but am open to suggestions - https://www.newegg.com/asrock-rack-...s-processors/p/N82E16813140060?quicklink=true
Yes, I created an account just to buy these, and then was screwed. That motherboard is the 2P version of what most of my 7742's are in. Use dual Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 heatsinks to cool them. I have that config on my dual 7601's

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Also, you will need at least 16 of these to feed the beast:

256 gig gives 1 gig per thread which works on everything I have tried including the beastly Rosetta tasks that take 1 gig or more per thread/task.

And a dual 8 pin CPU PSU like this:

For about $5000 that rig will kill anything else out there. I wish I had the account to get them before you. Good luck with it.

It will look a lot like this when done, but more than twice the horsepower.:(my dual 7601's)20210927_055930[1].jpg

Last edited:

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
If these CPU's happen to be vendor locked, does anybody know what the symptom will be trying to boot it in an ASRock board? Will the system just not POST at all, or should it give some kind of warning?

Well, I missed out on this, but I just won a 3080TI for MSRP (EVGA) on the newegg shuffle !!
Nice! I'll be curious to see how it does at Folding, I would imagine it should be a good step up from a 2080ti or 3070.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
If these CPU's happen to be vendor locked, does anybody know what the symptom will be trying to boot it in an ASRock board? Will the system just not POST at all, or should it give some kind of warning?

Nice! I'll be curious to see how it does at Folding, I would imagine it should be a good step up from a 2080ti or 3070.
Simple (I had one) It will not even post at all. Is this your first EPYC ? If so, be aware, when it posts, especially the first time, it takes like 5 minutes, so be patient. But if its vendor locked, NO post at all, just a black screen. Use the on-board VGA until you get it booted, and bios setup right. Then you can add a video card. This assures you that there are no problems involving the video card.

F@H PPD on 2080TI is like 5 million, and on a 3070 its like 4 million. with over 10,000 cuda cores on the 3080TI, I am expecting over 8 million ppd, but we will see.

Edit: I think the ASRock board has an on-board post code, and I seem to remember that will hold at 78 (I just googled it to be sure) Thats the code for vendor locked. I will have to look it up gain. But its in one of my threads.

Last edited:

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
It's my first EPYC, but I have some Xeons in server/workstation motherboards that take awhile for the IPMI to initialize and for it to POST. It's always a bit concerning on first boot up after building the machine waiting the few minutes for it to boot up the first time :)

Markfw

May 16, 2002
It's my first EPYC, but I have some Xeons in server/workstation motherboards that take awhile for the IPMI to initialize and for it to POST. It's always a bit concerning on first boot up after building the machine waiting the few minutes for it to boot up the first time :)
OK, first EPYC. Word of caution. Be VERY careful to insert the CPU into the tray, and then make sure you torque it to spec, first lightly, then to spec, IN ORDER. Any errors will ruin the socket, and while you MAY get the RMA approved, it will set you back weeks. I did 7 threadrippers before my first EPYC, so I had practice(I did ruin ONE motherboard), and I have the AMD torque tool. Its the same socket (almost) and the same torque. Its not near as easy as Xeons (untill you get the hang of it).

Edit: from the web

Use Torx T20 bit or T20 torque wrench.
Set the torque settings to 14-lbs/in.
Follow the sequential installation numbers:
Install: 1-2-3. Uninstall: 3-2-1

Edit 2: Here is the tool, but that 11.95 price is s ripoff

Last edited:
Reactions: Icecold and lane42

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Excellent install video. Exactly the same for EPYC. The key here is getting it to slide into that holding frame exactly correct. Notice very carefully how the dummy plastic comes out.

Reactions: Icecold

pututu

Jul 1, 2017
F@H PPD on 2080TI is like 5 million, and on a 3070 its like 4 million. with over 10,000 cuda cores on the 3080TI, I am expecting over 8 million ppd, but we will see.

There is a good gpu database which is been updated real time here at folding.lar.systems. 3080 ti will do about 6.4M PPD on windows. Doesn't seem to have linux data (I think it should run on linux since 3090 has data), so add 10% to it, should get close to 7M PPD give or take. Not 100% sure how much LHR impacts the folding performance.

Last edited:

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
I found that tool in the same state I'm in(don't want to be waiting around for a tool to install the processor once I have everything else), and apparently had some ebay bonus money stuck in my account so I got it for $6 after the ebay bucks or whatever it was. It seems like installing these processors is going to be an adventure.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I found that tool in the same state I'm in(don't want to be waiting around for a tool to install the processor once I have everything else), and apparently had some ebay bonus money stuck in my account so I got it for $6 after the ebay bucks or whatever it was. It seems like installing these processors is going to be an adventure.
Well, once you get the knack, its a piece of cake. But if you miss some of the finer points, its easy to screw it up.. Like I say, getting it in the carrier correctly is the key. Once you see all the things to look for, its easy.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
I found the carrier convenient and quite easy and safe to work with.

I don't know about Asrock, but Supermicro ships the boards with two protections on the sockets: A transparent shell which sits in the rail frame into which you later insert the CPU with its carrier, and a black cap which sits directly over the LGA pins. During the installation of the CPU, this latter cap should be removed as late as possible for safety. That would be between steps 5 and 6 in chapter 2.3 of the ROME2D16-2T manual.

As for the booting process, there is a BMC heartbeat LED which should show when the BMC has booted up and is ready to go. From then on, you can access the BMC via HTTP over the dedicated LAN port and look at a variety of hardware status info, and can open an HTML5 iKVM console instead of (or in addition to) physical monitor/ keyboard/ mouse.

Though you'll need to figure out which IP address the BMC received from the DHCP server. (You need to have a DHCP in your LAN for this initially. If you don't have one, you would need to let the computer boot into the BIOS setup screen, with a VGA monitor connected, and could then set a static IP address for the BMC.) According to the ROME2D16-2T manual, Asrock still uses "admin" and "admin" as factory-default username and password of the BMC. Other vendors provide a unique default password which should be found on a sticker of the board.

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
I appreciate all the information. It seems like getting the motherboard from Newegg is going to be the main delay. Based on the shipping method, etc. it should be here by the weekend, but it's still sitting on waiting for UPS to pick up, and I've had issues with Newegg taking a really long time to ship stuff recently.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I appreciate all the information. It seems like getting the motherboard from Newegg is going to be the main delay. Based on the shipping method, etc. it should be here by the weekend, but it's still sitting on waiting for UPS to pick up, and I've had issues with Newegg taking a really long time to ship stuff recently.
So, what heat sinks, memory and power supply did you get ? I am really curious on this build.

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
I haven't ordered the RAM yet, I have spare RAM I can pull out of another machine to test it. I wanted to ensure that the CPU's aren't vendor locked before spending a bunch of additional money on RAM. The heastink/fans are Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3's. I have a spare brand new Super Flower Leadex III 850W 80+ Gold that I bought a month or two ago when they were on sale that I was planning on using for the time being.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
@Icecold , how did they work ? Its been 4 days, the motherboard should have been in by now ??

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
It's not unfortunately. I have the processors and everything else in hand but the motherboard will not be here until at least Monday. I would have paid for expedited shipping but I wasn't expecting it to sit for a couple days at Newegg before actually shipping.