Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch Demo

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Problem I had is everything running away when I tried to do quests and needed specific groups . Hard to sneak up and catch some of them.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Problem I had is everything running away when I tried to do quests and needed specific groups . Hard to sneak up and catch some of them.

I had that happen a lot when I was trying to capture a purple turban familiar. Do you have the merit bonus that lets you sneak up on things easier?

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
as long as a party of mobs has one aggressive in it, it will charge .. just learn their pattern and dodge them.

the dogs (and a couple others) were attacking me still in endgame .. some mobs always do.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
I had that happen a lot when I was trying to capture a purple turban familiar. Do you have the merit bonus that lets you sneak up on things easier?

I have *.* as I always do within 2-3 days of starting an RPG ;)

ikachu

Jan 19, 2011
Is there any kind of 'early leveling' penalty associated with this game? I'm weird and I like to grind and min/max and it annoys me if you get suboptimal stat boosts when you level if you don't have end-game equipment or certain jobs or something like that.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Is there any kind of 'early leveling' penalty associated with this game? I'm weird and I like to grind and min/max and it annoys me if you get suboptimal stat boosts when you level if you don't have end-game equipment or certain jobs or something like that.

Sort of. There are three different stat leveling curves for Familiars. They are either Early, Average or Late. Early levelers will have higher stat boosts prior to level 50, but end up becoming weaker as you close in on level 99. Late levelers are the exact opposite as they will have the highest stats as you close in on level 99. Average levelers are just that... average. Early levelers can be quite potent early on as whenever you morph them into their upgraded version, their level resets back to 1 and you start off with a more powerful version that may also be an early leveler. Note that Familiars do not necessarily level at the same rate through all forms. The strategy guide actually has a nice section on Familiars that includes their affinity, leveling rate, abilities, second form and both final forms.

ikachu

Jan 19, 2011
Sort of. There are three different stat leveling curves for Familiars. They are either Early, Average or Late. Early levelers will have higher stat boosts prior to level 50, but end up becoming weaker as you close in on level 99. Late levelers are the exact opposite as they will have the highest stats as you close in on level 99. Average levelers are just that... average. Early levelers can be quite potent early on as whenever you morph them into their upgraded version, their level resets back to 1 and you start off with a more powerful version that may also be an early leveler. Note that Familiars do not necessarily level at the same rate through all forms. The strategy guide actually has a nice section on Familiars that includes their affinity, leveling rate, abilities, second form and both final forms.

Hmm ok that sounds reasonable. As long as the Late familiars don't actually lose stats as they level I can deal with that.

I just hate feeling like I need to purposefully avoid fighting to keep from gimping myself. Thanks for the explanation.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011

wow. that's something i knew *nothing* about.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Nice double surprise at the end. Love this game. Level 99 with 50 hours on the clock and finishing up everything to completion.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
I hate that stat growth is random. I got two Mites to 50 from 1 and they had diff stats .

Guide shows potential max for each stat, but getting exactly what the guide shows is impossible.

I hate RNG. 1+1=2, not sometimes 1.8, not sometimes 2.1, but 2.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Hell yes. Wizard Edition on route.

Need to see if I can snag a promo poster from a Gamestop or something.

This is going to have a prominent spot in my collection. So refreshing to see a modern RPG done right after all these years. So much love and personal devotion went into making this game; definitely not the norm in today's over franchised copy paste fps for guaranteed millions world.

Last edited:

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
I leveled two first form mites from level 1 to 50 and got diff stats, neither of which matched the guide for max level 50 form 1 mites, this is looking at the screen with base stats without player synergy bonus and nothing equipped and no feeding.

Debating capturing like 3 of them, watching them all level up once with same exp and seeing the +stat differences.

Last edited:

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
It's over... sniffle...

I can't get the ending song out of my head.

A fucking +

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
I started tearing up watching the credits...

"I think of what you told me
However sad life seems
That sometimes tears can turn to dreams

If I could only be with you once more"

Loves me some tragedy.

That song bringing closure in context with the last week of my life immersed in this world. The song is beautiful on it's own, but when it plays as the end credits for such an epic and tragic adventure its even 10000x more beautiful.

Last edited:

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
I'm not into anime. At all.

But I do LOVE a great JRPG. Some of my greatest memories and experiences in gaming have been thanks to great JRPGs. This game looks like it would continue that tradition.

That said, I have such a backlog of games to get through. Not the least of which is another JRPG, Xenoblade, which I have barely started but keep hearing great things about.

*sigh*...I guess when the price comes down and the backlog is whittled...

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Just picked up the game today and already have put more time into it than I expected to. Enjoying it so far and looking forward to spending the weekend playing it.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I'm not into anime. At all.

But I do LOVE a great JRPG. Some of my greatest memories and experiences in gaming have been thanks to great JRPGs. This game looks like it would continue that tradition.

That said, I have such a backlog of games to get through. Not the least of which is another JRPG, Xenoblade, which I have barely started but keep hearing great things about.

*sigh*...I guess when the price comes down and the backlog is whittled...

Same way. I've got about 55 hours into Xenoblade (playing on Dolphin, which is 100x better than on the Wii) and it is indeed a good RPG.

On topic, this game kinda looks like what Dragons Lair / Space Ace would have been if they were actual real 3D games.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Argghh I can't get the first verses of the ending theme out of my head.

I'm going to be depressed all day. :(

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
how about change thread title to Official Ni No Kuni Thread?

Happy now? :p I thought about saying "Official SandEagle Thread" just for kicks!

EDIT:

Actually, it appears that changing my original post's title no longer changes the thread title. A mod will have to do it. :$