pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
It's coming up on time to replace the spark plugs and I normally go with NGK (7746) IFR7G-11KS for my 2006 Acura RSX Type-S (K20Z1, stock internals, CAI, RH). However, looking at their parts catalog I'm seeing Ruthenium plugs and did some searching. Apparently Ruthenium should last longer and provide better power and mileage since it's a harder composite with Platinum. I can't seem to find any definitive comparisons in spark plug use specifically, but that was the general indication I'm understanding. (If anyone can speak to that specifically, please do!)

Here's where I'm getting frustrated: you can't find these plugs anywhere. They're not available at any parts store, Amazon, performance sites, etc. I'm considering even asking my local Honda and Acura dealership if they have these plugs on hand; just to gauge whether or not they are in use (or recommended) at the OEM level.

Thoughts?

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
i guess marketing is saying iridium is old and busted, ruthenium is the new hotness

Apparently Ruthenium should last longer and provide better power and mileage
if someone swapped their plugs from iridiums or whatever to ruthenium and got better power and mileage they accidentally fixed something in the act like reconnecting a loose coil.

just stick with the OEM iridiums

Feb 25, 2011
Don't the top fuel drag racer guys still use copper plugs for moar powerz?

If something is supposed to last longer, I kinda assume there's a tradeoff somewhere.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
Copper is still the best for spark temp and things like that - that's why most boosted or modified cars go back to copper with the appropriate gap. However nearly all OEMs are iridium or platinum because they last longer.

As potted meat said, there is no reason why a spark plug should give better power or mileage if the fuel is fully combusting and you're not knocking. Increased lifespan is nice if it's particularly hard to change the plugs, but you're not usually saving money since the "latest and greatest" plugs are usually more expensive than just swapping at shorter intervals.

2007BMW335i

Jun 14, 2019
The flame kernel pictures show how this plug is better than what someone called a "copper" plug. Copper refers to the core as almost all plugs use a copper core that is not the difference. Old copper plugs use a nickel electrode. To think a spark plugs is a spark plug is like saying "motor oil is motor oil" Technology advancements can occur at every level. Look at the flame propagation and yes the older nickel alloy plugs are better than iridium but not ruthenium. The projected ground is the difference. An old racers trick (maybe still done) was to cut back the ground strap to expose half of the center electrode to the combustion chamber, achieving similar effects to the ruthenium plug.
https://ngksparkplugs.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Ruthenium-Spark-Plugs.pdf

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
^

A Spark plugs job is to ignite the air/fuel mixture. It having a bigger spark/flame/"insert marketing term here"/etc... will make little to no difference. Either it ignites or it does not.

Racers use nickle/copper plugs as they change them very often and the larger surface area is less likely to foul out. Street cars use metals from the platinum family as they last longer, thats it.

Reactions: Zorba

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
I recently switched my plugs out from the OEM NGK Iridiums to equivalent NGK Ruthenium HX plugs, solely to explore the new technology.

I've got a modern platform, a 2018 Civic Si with a small, turbocharged, direct injected motor where they recommend the PSPE design.

Based on the marketing material, I think the seat of the pants differences I have experienced line up with realistic expectations in an application that wasn't designed to take advantage of the quicker and potentially more complete ignition.

Essentially, at low RPM and high load the engine feels less "buzzy". Driving around a parking lot in first gear, going WOT at 2500 RPM, and going up an incline in top gear at a low RPM (highway and freeway) all feel smoother for the engine. The difference is very subtle but enough that other people have commented it feels smoother with no knowledge a change was made.

I assume this is a product of more rapid or more complete combustion. I do not feel like the car is any faster, and it's possible the engine's ECU optimizes out the quicker ignition by adjusting timing. So who knows, I have no way to objectively or quantitatively measure a difference.

If the improvement in technology can lead to power, efficiency, or emissions gains I assume it would require a platform to be designed to utilize the design from the ground up. Next generation engines that were built with Ruthenium plugs might see a small improvement in overall performance, and I'm convinced that OEMs will adopt the new technology to see these gains along with further improvements in spark plug longevity.

For now, I'm pleased with even a barely-perceptible-to-placebo level effect of smoothing out certain engine loads and I won't be reverting to the factory plugs. It's not like these plugs cost more than Iridiums, and I'm not sure there are any downsides to choosing them instead if you're replacing plugs on a vehicle. Otherwise, I don't see a reason to run to the store and buy them like I did.

TL;DR I switched to Ruthenium plugs and my car doesn't feel faster.

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
Interesting results. Thanks for reporting in with them!

I think what we'd need is a Dyno test for pure objectiveness. Take a nearly new (or new) vehicle and install brand new Copper plugs, run a few dyno pulls on a couple gears (if manual). Do the same for Iridium, then Ruthenium. See what the charts display and overlay.

Only then would we know for certain if the marketing is pushing unnecessary claims.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
Interesting results. Thanks for reporting in with them!

I think what we'd need is a Dyno test for pure objectiveness. Take a nearly new (or new) vehicle and install brand new Copper plugs, run a few dyno pulls on a couple gears (if manual). Do the same for Iridium, then Ruthenium. See what the charts display and overlay.

Only then would we know for certain if the marketing is pushing unnecessary claims.

Unfortunately they appear to have received a cold reception. No one's talking about them, no one's testing them, and no one is advertising them. Heck, you can barely buy them anywhere, too.

I don't doubt this seems like a legitimate advancement in spark plug technology but until an engine is designed to take advantage of its properties the effects in current engines will be minimal.

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
Yeah, I wanted to at least try them for myself, but that wasn't even an option. I guess current production hasn't met the demand for this technology still. Perhaps the improvements are so negligible to push the industry to adopt it?

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
Is the issue that they don't have a recommended plug for your application? There was no recommended plug for mine. I cross referenced all 25 models of Ruthenium plug against my OEM iridium plug to find one that has identical spec (outside gap, which I fixed myself).

I think these will be adopted by the industry but they were just released last year. It won't be until the next generation of engines I think at the very least, and the gains will be very small. The real power of technology improvements like this are when multiple improvements work together to give a considerable gain.

The other technology improvement that comes to mind that most modern engines haven't been designed to take advantage of are the new oil formulas to reduce LSPI. Next gen engines taking advantage of these improvements should see measurable economy and power gains, IMO.

Last edited:

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
At the time of the post they had it, but I simply couldn't find the actual product anywhere.

I agree though, generational design can only incorporate so much.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
I ordered mine from Rock Auto, where it was cheaper to buy all 4 + ship than buying all four from NAPA at MSRP.