NFS Most Wanted: Criterion Style

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Coming out this month and I can't damn wait for this game! I loved Burnout paradise for the open world multiplayer fun and this game is going to improve on that and use Frostbite 2 as well. Epic win upon release.

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
I bet it'll be Origin exclusive, which means I won't get to play it.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Yeah, where ever you buy it, it needs to be registered on Origin. I'm looking forward to it though quite a bit. NFS MW was one of my fav NFS.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I liked Hot Pursuit but the online checking was such a hassle. being forced to go through Origin is just not acceptable to me at any price. Shame because the game itself may have been good.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I never liked any NFS game for some reason. Although, I enjoyed messing around in the original most wanted. Burnout Paradise was a blast though and I still play it sometimes. This game is based on Burnout more than NFS and thats why I am super excited. Takedowns, crashes and epic jumps and to do it all competitively will be great.

CubicZirconia

Diamond Member
Nov 24, 2001
There should be a sticky in this forum to remind people that if they aren't buying a game because it is only on origin that no one cares.

I'll have to check this game out. Been a long time since I played NFS but I enjoyed them back in the day.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
There should be a sticky in this forum to remind people that if they aren't buying a game because it is only on origin that no one cares.

115% agreed.

I don't care about if it's on Origin or not, if it's good, I'll buy it.

Playing through NFS: The Run right now, and I'm not really digging Frostbite as a racing game engine, though.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
115% agreed.

I don't care about if it's on Origin or not, if it's good, I'll buy it.

Playing through NFS: The Run right now, and I'm not really digging Frostbite as a racing game engine, though.

I never thought anything could replace STEAM for me, but i'll admit that I like having origin as another place to buy games. I like a lot of games EA puts out and to have them all in one place is nice. I like how I can install a game that I bought years ago but lost the CD for.

Regarding NFS: the run, I read that it wasn't that great. I bought NFS: hot pursuit and I hated it. It was ugly and simply not fun and had console written all over it. I have hopes for NFS: Most wanted though. Anything with the soul of Burnout has to be fun..right?

Last edited:

0___________0

May 5, 2012
I was excited for this game at first, but it sounds like they've basically made a Burnout sequel instead of an NFS one, that would be fine if this what part of the Burnout series, but I want a pure NFS game. Their lead dev or someone said they "don't make sequels to other people's games.", well, unfortunately everyone loved MW and wanted a true sequel. This game shouldn't be named Most Wanted, its more of Burnout in the style of NFS. I think their handling of Hot Pursuit was bad as well. Stupid mechanics, physics didn't exist. They're just transplanting Burnout into the NFS series.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I was excited for this game at first, but it sounds like they've basically made a Burnout sequel instead of an NFS one, that would be fine if this what part of the Burnout series, but I want a pure NFS game. Their lead dev or someone said they "don't make sequels to other people's games.", well, unfortunately everyone loved MW and wanted a true sequel. This game shouldn't be named Most Wanted, its more of Burnout in the style of NFS. I think their handling of Hot Pursuit was bad as well. Stupid mechanics, physics didn't exist. They're just transplanting Burnout into the NFS series.
I thought they out did themselves with Burnout Paradise, its hard to top that game, so incorporating burnout elements into a NFS game is a way to give us the best of both worlds.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Some impressions, played for a few hours today so far (used a Korean VPN to unlock it).

If you want a Need for Speed game, don't bother with it. If you want a Burnout game, pick it up.

This feels like Burnout Paradise with cops and licensed cars.

So besides that here is my thoughts on things in the game so far.

It is a solid racing game, it looks nice and plays nice. The music is downright horrible even for a bunch of licensed stuff that EA usually does.

My biggest problems I've had with gameplay are and mainly, there is no penalty for the cops busting you, they bust you and it simply says busted and the screen goes back to where you were and you continue playing. It is easier and quicker to just get busted if there was something you were wanting to do right away then trying to ditch them. You no longer earn money or any type of currency you can do anything with, you simply have to do races for each car to unlock upgrades for that car and you can customize your car anywhere even in the middle of a race if you want and can do imo retarded crap because of that, you can earn self inflating tires, so if you hit a spike strip from the cops you can slap on those self inflating tires and boom tires are back. Basic layout for upgrades seems to be pick a car, there are 6 races total for that car. Each race has 2 upgrades, 1 for first and 1 for second, so if you come in first place you get both upgrades. Repeat that formula for each card as you only use upgrades on the card you won them for. Note, all the races aren't actually just races, for example there is one where you are solo and you have to keep an average speed of xxx the entire race to qualify for whatever place.

My only other issue with races is that you can only restart the race while in it and there is no redo last race when you just finish it and have to drive all the way back to start it again, there was a few times it was really close and I wasn't sure if I was going to get 1st or 2nd till we finished the line and then have to drive all the way back to redo it. At least when I know I'm not in 1st I can simply pause and restart the race.

You find cars now by driving around and seeing them parked (they will have a the their automakers logo above them so they are not hard to see and some are even premarked on the map). You can earn a few cars in that when you race and beat a person on the most wanted list, at the end of the race you can take down their car and earn it, but that is it. The map, I dunno, it feels a bit small, but there are lots of alleyways and you can enter a lot of structures to go up a few levels. There is lots of gates and billboards to find and smash, my only issue with the billboards is they respawn but don't count towards the grand total as each billboard destroyed so it is a bit annoying seeing one and you are not sure if you destroyed it or not.

Honestly, it seems Criterion just made a Burnout game here and slapped a NFS logo on it. Don't get me wrong, I love Burnout (Burnout 3 was one of the best racing games ever imo love it). But I wanted a NFS game here (and Most Wanted (from 2005) was one of my fav NFS), not BO with cops.

It probably wouldn't irritate so bad if getting caught my the cops had no penalty and that you can cheese your way with customizing anywhere anytime.

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
If you want a Burnout game, pick it up.

I did, and I was disappointed.

I wish it was, but it isn't. Not even close. :(

It is a racing game, it looks nice. The music is downright horrible.

Agreed.

No penalty for getting busted is a legit complaint, it's not fun, it's not anything. When you hit anything, you'll think you have land mines strapped to your car the way fireworks go off.
I don't like "finding" cars, the police aspect is lame, and the most important part...it's simply NOT FUN.
I play older NFS games and I've played through Paradise multiple times, and this is NOT the best of both worlds. It's a bastard child that is beautiful yet shallow.
One last thing - WHY DID THEY GIVE IT THE SAME NAME AS AN EXISTING GAME?!
For those who don't keep up:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Need_for_Speed:_Most_Wanted

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
No penalty for getting busted is a legit complaint, it's not fun, it's not anything. When you hit anything, you'll think you have land mines strapped to your car the way fireworks go off.
I don't like "finding" cars, the police aspect is lame, and the most important part...it's simply NOT FUN.
I play older NFS games and I've played through Paradise multiple times, and this is NOT the best of both worlds. It's a bastard child that is beautiful yet shallow.
One last thing - WHY DID THEY GIVE IT THE SAME NAME AS AN EXISTING GAME?!
For those who don't keep up:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Need_for_Speed:_Most_Wanted

lol, sorry, I wasn't a big Burnout Paradise fan like most so my fault on assuming it was more so like that.

I'll agree hitting anything and your car crashes/blows up basically and not being able to skip the crash cam of it just gets annoying when it happens so freaking much.

Them giving it the same name as a previous NFS is what ticks me off quite a bit too because it really fucks up expectations (I loved loved the original Most Wanted). I knew going in that the game was going to have some Burnout in it, but for the most part I was expecting a redone MW in a new city with some extras thrown in. This game is NOT that in any form at all. For as pretty as it all is, it is boring mostly.

The finding cars thing is rather meh as well, it is an interesting idea, but just seems a bit silly. But out of all the things I don't like this is probably near the bottom for myself.

The police aspect as you said is lame and not fun. Because of no penalty you don't give a crap if you get busted and in a lot of cases it is easier to just let them bust you because running away from them isn't fun and they are really really a pain in the ass to run away from anyways, they are like freaking super cops 90% of the time.

I simply wanted a NFS game, another version of the MW in particular since you know this one is the exact same name as it. This game has no business being under a NFS label imo.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
BO 3, Revenge & Paradise were all my favorite racing games I've played. Too bad this sounds like a flop.

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
So it's not even close to the original MW? pity, but I'm not surprised at all.

tdawg

Platinum Member
May 18, 2001
Thanks for the opinions. Sounds like I can forgo this and pick up Forza Horizon with no buyers remorse. Too bad, too, because I loved Burnout Paradise.

Bubba77

Apr 22, 2012
I disagree with the negativity. Ive been play nfs since the original(the actual original) and i really like it. I agree withtwo criticisms. Finding carsis kinda dumb, id rather buy them and store in a garage. Also u can crash multiple time in police chases and still get away. There is a penalty for getting caught. After a 20 minute police chase u build up a ton of credits, u only get them if u successfully evade the police which can be very difficult. It is also incredibly fun! Play from the bumper view for a great sense of speed. Love the game so far despite a couple of shortcomigs. Also picking up forza as well soon. Though i wont bave a ton of time until i play thru dishonored which is awesome

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
I bought it and played it for 6 hours last night.
it is a very fun great MP game.
the open world MP is done way better than Horizon.

I love Horizon and have about 50 hoursd already into it.. but the MP sucks in it.

this game is the opposite.. SP sucks.. but MP is a freaking blast.
pure drop in drop out open world. much more to do than in Horizon.

I really like both games and bought them both.
they are different animals though.

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
Some impressions, played for a few hours today so far (used a Korean VPN to unlock it).

If you want a Need for Speed game, don't bother with it. If you want a Burnout game, pick it up.

So besides that here is my thoughts on things in the game so far.

It is a solid racing game, it looks nice and plays nice. The music is downright horrible even for a bunch of licensed stuff that EA usually does.

My biggest problems I've had with gameplay are and mainly, there is no penalty for the cops busting you, they bust you and it simply says busted and the screen goes back to where you were and you continue playing. It is easier and quicker to just get busted if there was something you were wanting to do right away then trying to ditch them. You no longer earn money or any type of currency you can do anything with, you simply have to do races for each car to unlock upgrades for that car and you can customize your car anywhere even in the middle of a race if you want and can do imo retarded crap because of that, you can earn self inflating tires, so if you hit a spike strip from the cops you can slap on those self inflating tires and boom tires are back. Basic layout for upgrades seems to be pick a car, there are 6 races total for that car. Each race has 2 upgrades, 1 for first and 1 for second, so if you come in first place you get both upgrades. Repeat that formula for each card as you only use upgrades on the card you won them for. Note, all the races aren't actually just races, for example there is one where you are solo and you have to keep an average speed of xxx the entire race to qualify for whatever place.

My only other issue with races is that you can only restart the race while in it and there is no redo last race when you just finish it and have to drive all the way back to start it again, there was a few times it was really close and I wasn't sure if I was going to get 1st or 2nd till we finished the line and then have to drive all the way back to redo it. At least when I know I'm not in 1st I can simply pause and restart the race.

You find cars now by driving around and seeing them parked (they will have a the their automakers logo above them so they are not hard to see and some are even premarked on the map). You can earn a few cars in that when you race and beat a person on the most wanted list, at the end of the race you can take down their car and earn it, but that is it. The map, I dunno, it feels a bit small, but there are lots of alleyways and you can enter a lot of structures to go up a few levels. There is lots of gates and billboards to find and smash, my only issue with the billboards is they respawn but don't count towards the grand total as each billboard destroyed so it is a bit annoying seeing one and you are not sure if you destroyed it or not.

Honestly, it seems Criterion just made a Burnout game here and slapped a NFS logo on it. Don't get me wrong, I love Burnout (Burnout 3 was one of the best racing games ever imo love it). But I wanted a NFS game here (and Most Wanted (from 2005) was one of my fav NFS), not BO with cops.

It probably wouldn't irritate so bad if getting caught my the cops had no penalty and that you can cheese your way with customizing anywhere anytime.

actually you can jump to any race you have participated in from the carlog pull down and it will be listed in the events.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
actually you can jump to any race you have participated in from the carlog pull down and it will be listed in the events.

Which in fact you need to cuz you cant build up enough points to unlock all the cars if you just do everything once.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Which in fact you need to cuz you cant build up enough points to unlock all the cars if you just do everything once.

? I'm half way through the game and getting points has never been an issue, I haven't repeated any events. Generally I just do 1-2 events for a car to see if I like it and I keep doing the Most Wanted races with my Marussia B2 that has everything unlock/Pro.

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
Played for about three hours or so tonight, still not into it.
Like I said before, it looks REALLY GOOD, and the cars are good choices as there is a wide range of them.
I just want a game that's FUN to play! MW seems more like work and it's just not enjoyable.
I'll trade all the realistic racing sims out there for a game that's fun.
After I finished playing NFS:MW2012, I went back and played about an hour of Burnout Paradise and even with the almost cartoonish graphics compared to MW, the city felt more alive and was simply more fun.
I'll admit (if it wasn't obvious), I want another Paradise with these kind of graphics and detail, but give me Road Rage, a Junk Yard/Garage, insane jumps and stunt runs, and just pure insanity at times.
I could care less if I'm driving a real Camaro, or a car that looks a whole lot like a Camaro but has no Chevy badges and is a called a "Carson GT".
The NFS series has left me disappointed for a long time, and it looks like there's no going back to the days of Paradise.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I am enjoying the game more, I basically had to get out of the mindset that this is NFS. Most of my earlier impressions still stand though. I have found how to restart a race after finishing. Cop chases (which were ALWAYS my fav part of NFS) are not fun at all in this one. I just don't give a crap about the chase, infact I since there isn't a penalty for getting busted I usually just let them bust me (piss poor design). I've only completed a few cars completely of all their races to get all their mods and have come across a few repeat races with the same exact circuits/routes from other cars, I do not know if this is because I was doing it in what would be considered the same class of car or not (noticed while doing it for the Mclaren and had previously done it with the Marussia).

I wish there was some actual story, I'm not looking for anything deep, but I mean seriously, they basically just put you into the game and say beat the top 10 most wanted, go. That is it unless I totally missed something? I find the little clips before some of the events/races to really pull me out of the game. The main ones I am referring to are the events where you have to evade the cops in xxx amount of time. I mean come on, police cars stacked up as car pyramids, like 15 of them connect to make a giant wheel, it is just freaking cheesy and stupid. There was a few with other events like cars flying and multiples of a car staying in a spot as it did a donut, I swore the game was glitching out.

I wish there was some kind of DJ or something, the world feels very dead with the only voices you ever hear are the announcer chick telling you about new autolog crap and the cops when they chase you.

Oh yeah, almost forgot. I wish takedowns was a bit more constant. I ram another racer or a cop at full speed and I'll get a takedown, do it to regular traffic and my car freaking explodes, same thing for T-boning.

Last edited: