NFL thread 2021-2022

Page 48 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I am a Pats fan. Now we must win on Saturday to stay on top of the AFC.

Going to be a tough matchup.

I picked Indy prior to the Bills game last week and I'll stick with my pick but I'm less confident then I was. I wouldn't be surprised now if NE pulls off a win.

Giants fan? No way in hell.

Unless you mean SF Giants. Lol

No.... I meant I'M a NY Giants fan! :coldsweat:

rmacd02

Nov 24, 2015
Well, you got us twice. I still will never watch a replay of that damned helmet catch. Or that sideline catch, either.

This week, we must find a way to stop Taylor.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Well, you got us twice

Yeah but its been awhile since 2011 .... also we have Twinkle-toes Daniel Jones at QB and an incompetent coaching staff.

The Patriots AND the Chargers are both young, talented teams.

This week, we must find a way to stop Taylor

I think the key for NE to win will be ringing Wentz's bell a few times so he gets rattled and plays like crap.... should be a good game.

rmacd02

Nov 24, 2015
Yeah but its been awhile since 2011 .... also we have Twinkle-toes Daniel Jones at QB and an incompetent coaching staff.

The Patriots AND the Chargers are both young, talented teams.

I think the key for NE to win will be ringing Wentz's bell a few times so he gets rattled and plays like crap.... should be a good game.
I keep forgetting how long we've been good. It's gotta end sometime. I am some what surprised. We had an off year in 2020, but also had many players opt out due to Covid. I figured we'd be a bit stronger this year. Not quite this good.

I still remember when the Pats were the doormats of the league.

rmacd02

Nov 24, 2015
I just read the Chargers head coach's explanation of why he went for it on 4th down so often. While I still think it was wrong, I liked his argument.

Not just about analytics, but an attitude.

Hate the result, but it's his team to coach. For now.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I just read the Chargers head coach's explanation of why he went for it on 4th down so often. While I still think it was wrong, I liked his argument.

So.... His "attitude" is pro-losing? o_O

He should have apologized to SD fans for literally handing KC the win with his bone-head strategy. Remember that pathetic excuse for a bad decision when your team is watching the playoffs at home on the sofa, Charger fans.

These ANAL-idiot's are not re-inventing the game of football shockingly.... there are damn good reasons to NOT go for it on EVERY 4th down or "go for 2" all the time when not forced to do so. (unless losing football games is your thing)

Parcels and Belichick are two NFL head coach's who went for it on 4th down fairly often before it was "trendy" BUT they did it based on their gut-instinct AND the game situation not just blind statistics which is straight-up stupidity.

For example, how does the success-rate for 4th down conversions in NFL games look when the other teams D FULLY EXPECTS that you'll be going for it on 4th and doesn't even bother defending the punt?

Using numbers that say going on 4th is a relatively rare "surprise play" doesn't work.

Last edited:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
So.... His "attitude" is pro-losing? o_O

He should have apologized to SD fans for literally handing KC the win with his bone-head strategy. Remember that pathetic excuse for a bad decision when your team is watching the playoffs at home on the sofa, Charger fans.

These ANAL-idiot's are not re-inventing the game of football shockingly.... there are damn good reasons to NOT go for it on EVERY 4th down or "go for 2" all the time when not forced to do so. (unless losing football games is your thing)

Parcels and Belichick are two NFL head coach's who went for it on 4th down fairly often before it was "trendy" BUT they did it based on their gut-instinct AND the game situation not just blind statistics which is straight-up stupidity.

For example, how does the success-rate for 4th down conversions in NFL games look when the other teams D FULLY EXPECTS that you'll be going for it on 4th and doesn't even bother defending the punt?

Using numbers that say going on 4th is a relatively rare "surprise play" doesn't work.
I don't know if it is just analytics or if it is the Chiefs getting into people's heads by virtue of their past potency.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000

What justifies the attitude? Well, partly analytics and what he didn't explicitly say so I'll say it for him. "We're playing Patrick Mahomes, so we didn't want to settle for FGs." Although in general, I agree with analytics, I don't agree with Staley's calls this game. Not all 4th down opportunities are equivalent. On the very first drive, just take the easy 3 points. It's way too early to assume Mahomes is gonna perform as if he's playing against the Raiders.

Most game recaps mention how 3 times they tried and failed to convert. But there was actually a 4th time, when they did convert on 4th and short but ultimately fumbled at the goal line. So Staley squandered some 9-12 points because he was afraid Mahomes would put up too many points (ironically, that became a self-fulfilling prophecy).

I'm all for being aggressive, esp. if you're playing from behind. But that wasn't the case in this game, where the Chargers were controlling time of possession and the defense played well until the Chiefs flipped a switch in the 4th quarter. Obviously we can't really know how the game changes if Staley kicks more FGs, but a plausible scenario is that the Chargers could've built a 10 point lead.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
So far the Colts D is laying a beating on New England.

Be interesting to see how Belichick adjusts in the second half.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Great game.... had my full attention for the entire second half! :D

I had picked the Colts tonight so no surprise.... IF I believed in Wentz I would say the Colts were outside-shot contenders.

I do not believe in Wentz.

Reactions: BUTCH1

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Great game.... had my full attention for the entire second half! :D

I had picked the Colts tonight so no surprise.... IF I believed in Wentz I would say the Colts were outside-shot contenders.

I do not believe in Wentz.
Tell you what, although I do beleive he's got a great arm the decision he made to enable the pick was just horrible, your sitting on a 20 point lead and you do THAT?, anyway, as a Pats fan it's not all bad that they lost, when you win 7 in a row sports media tends to get silly, thought Jones rebounded well in the 2nd half too.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Wentz always believes he's got to play big and go for kill shots even when the game is easily under control. It's like he can't lose his moral victory of playing for the big moment as often as possible.

woodman1999

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2003
As of right this minute, I am more concerned about the patriots game against the colts than either the bills or titans.
My concerns from November were officially validated last night. Especially with no Harris. Stevenson is good, but he is young. Having Harris split the workload is very helpful, especially with the variation in running styles.

I am glad we at least ended up making a game of it. Shows at least a shred of resiliency and I am glad they got taken down a peg or two last night. Started believing their own media hype. Maybe they won't take the bills game for granted too.

Edit: sorry about the somewhat rambling nature of the post. Still need coffee.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
My concerns from November were officially validated last night. Especially with no Harris. Stevenson is good, but he is young. Having Harris split the workload is very helpful, especially with the variation in running styles.

I am glad we at least ended up making a game of it. Shows at least a shred of resiliency and I am glad they got taken down a peg or two last night. Started believing their own media hype. Maybe they won't take the bills game for granted too.

Edit: sorry about the somewhat rambling nature of the post. Still need coffee.
Yea, agree, they have a smaller 3rd down type back (Taylor) but I don't think he dressed for last night's game. Jones did make 2 mistakes with the picks but he also made some nice downfield throws too. Kinda tough too overcome a blocked punt for a TD, an INT in the EZ and another INT as well and expect to compete with the likes of Indy on the road no less. If Indy can keep Wentz from the bone-head type of throw they look to e a legit AFC contender, the Pats were built to stop the run but Taylor still burned us, that man's got an uncanny ability to see the blocking and make the one exact cut that springs him past the LOS.

woodman1999

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2003
Taylor burned us, but without that 67 yd run, his average YPC wasn't mind blowing. But then he ripped off that run and completely iced the game...

That blocked punt was murder. How in the hell did JJ let that guy have a totally free run at Bailey? Special teams this year has been such a mixed bag. Excellent FG unit, kind of a suspect Punt unit.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Taylor burned us, but without that 67 yd run, his average YPC wasn't mind blowing. But then he ripped off that run and completely iced the game...

That blocked punt was murder. How in the hell did JJ let that guy have a totally free run at Bailey? Special teams this year has been such a mixed bag. Excellent FG unit, kind of a suspect Punt unit.
True, dude has the uncanny ability to predict where that one spot on the LOS where he can slip through and both Hightower and Mcourtny over pursued on that long run, Taylor has enough speed that if/when that happens he's usually gone.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Now we just need Carolina to pull of a miraculous upset... and the titans losing wouldn't hurt.

Titans could get beat sans Henry.... I wouldn't count on anything but disappointment from the Panthers at this point though.

In retrospect I really enjoyed last nights game... one of the best contests of the season so far IMO.

:D

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Now we just need Carolina to pull of a miraculous upset... and the titans losing wouldn't hurt.
Only if Allen's ankle acts up and he can't play will this posssibly happen and even then Cam playing against that ball-hawking Bill's defense, zero chance.