NFL thread 2021-2022

Page 42 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
The analytics show going for 2PT conversions is game-theory optimal so head coaches shouldn't shy away until the conversion rates decline. The main reasons to kick for the XP are that it's always been done, and head coaches don't lose their jobs by sending out the kicker.

OMG Harbaugh with the balls call for the win instead of the tie. ...and it was a good call. Just not so great on the toss, ffs.
Lamar has tremendous "arm talent" as they say, but is lacking in the touch department. The game-ending throw was "bad" but not terribly so, just a bit wide. If you watch it carefully (I did, several times), I feel that a) Mark Andrews is pretty slow LOL and b) Andrews actually takes a stutter step near the end of the route. So right as Jackson is avoiding Watt and throwing wide, Andrews slows down almost imperceptibly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfdrSkgQAx8&t=940s

It's a bang-bang play, but I wouldn't say Jackson is 100% at fault. The one that was egregious was a couple plays earlier when Andrews runs a slant from the right slot, all defenders blitzed from that area and Jackson somehow threw a yard behind the feet of a wide-open Andrews. You could hear the disappointment in Collinsworth's voice LOL.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
1 point or 100 points at the end of the season they're all wins.
One produces multiple heart attacks. The other is full relaxation.

That one play on 3rd and 15 by Heinicke to get free from that sack was incredible. Sucks that Thomas dropped that pass. It was high but very catchable and he should have caught it based on his ability.

And the way he bounces back after mistakes is not something I'm used to as a WFT fan. Like he threw that pick which lead to the Raiders marching down the field to take the lead, then drives right back down to take the lead. And he's done that multiple times this year. He has ice in his veins.

The WFT D has also REALLY stepped up their run defense. They seem to be stuffing a lot more runs than before. They also aren't giving up the 2-3 huge plays per game they were early on in the season.

This whole team just has a grit to them we haven't seen before. And I love watching the Rivera locker room speeches after the games. He gets fired up and I love that. Haven't seen that in a WFT coach in as long as I can remember.
Heinicke has gotten away a couple times from a sack earlier but didn't attempt a throw. Frank Clark is one name I remember.

Heinicke definitely has a mind like a cornerback. He makes a mistake, and gets right back up and makes strikes on the ensuing drive.

I remember the season opener against the Eagles last year. Iggles came out fast but the team battled back and took the win.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
It is time. It is time.

Harris TD.

Sometimes stacking the box in excess means no failsafe if the RB breaks through.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Pats D is damn good. Disciplined and Sharp. Knox had the ball punched out by the corner. And boy do they hit hard.

Reactions: Captante

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Finally, the Bill Belichick without Brady that we all knew existed, turned up this year.

So, that debate can continue, again. Brady or Bellichick. Who matters most?

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
What a random game. I mean I still can't believe Bill didn't throw in just 2 or 3 play action passes in there at all. Like at all. Crazy.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Defense was the difference in this game credit where its due.... I think NE deserves the #1 rating now.

Takes me back to what I said about Belichick and his player selections on both lines. Line-play is the foundation everything else is built on.

Still that was one heck of a football game.... is it too early to start thinking Tampa vs NE in Feb?

Last edited:
Reactions: BUTCH1

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
What a random game. I mean I still can't believe Bill didn't throw in just 2 or 3 play action passes in there at all. Like at all. Crazy.
Probably to make sure every second was milked and to protect Mac.

And maybe just little bit of wanting to humiliate the pass-happy Bills and their "elite" QB.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
My hunch(and pick) was right.
(Tho I should have picked the Lions instead of the Jags for the upset. )

I'm mildly surprised by tonight's game but that's all.... NE is really strong on both lines and has a killer defense plus Mac Jones did exactly what he needed to do to win. (toe Belichick's line!)

And what the Bills were missing compared to NE tonight is team discipline.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Yea, as a Pats fan I was about screaming, Buff would have bit 100% and just make it a short throw.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Way early to speculate, but imagine a Bill vs Brady bowl. Could Mac Jones handle the spotlight?

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
I'm mildly surprised by tonight's game but that's all.... NE is really strong on both lines and has a killer defense plus Mac Jones did exactly what he needed to do to win. (toe Belichick's line!)
It's Josh's line really but on those run plays there were no receivers out there to catch one except Harry who they use in run blocking, (although if he snuck out on a route he would have been unmolested).

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Despite not even watching a single game of the Pats and only their highlights, I could see the have quality play on that side of the ball. Plus they were missing their starters last season. When they had them, this unit was top tier.

And just a little luck, Breida's butterfingers.

The game would have been far and away a lopsided affair if Harry didn't have a huge gaffe on special teams, basically evening out Breida's mistake.