NFL thread 2021-2022

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Man reading some people posting about the Giants game and watching the highlights, and having watched the first three games, I am really happy with Danny Dimes development. He is showing everything a third year quarterback should right now, even though he has had players make terrible drops, a few games of pretty shitty playcalling by Garrett too - this game seemed to go better playcalling wise it sounds like. He was also missing Shep and Slayton the two receivers he has the most chemistry with. And our tight ends are not very good. He is making more reads and faster, he has the legs to get out of situations and get positive yards. Two first rounders next year, should use one on the O-line and one for an edge rusher. After firing Gettleman and getting a better GM of course. But so far it really looks like we are fine at QB.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
But I get it. That game had the bottom of the bucket commentators because it's the WFT against the Falcons, so they also had the worst officiating crew in the league.

All the NFC games on Fox seem to have this issue not just WFT.

The backup guy in the Saints/Giants game today was a complete idiot.

But so far it really looks like we are fine at QB.

We'll just have to disagree on Daniel Jones for now .... HOWEVER I can honestly say I hope you prove me wrong!

;)

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Based on the duration of his success I would have to 100% completely disagree. (taking nothing away from Bill Walsh)

Belichick did not start out that way with Cleveland way back in the day BUT much as I dislike him he has become one of the best ever in all aspects of the game and he is certainly the "winningest" (this needs to be a word!) NFL head coach of all time in terms of rings AND in Super bowl appearances.

Not even debatable.

MOST SUPER BOWL COACHING WINS

COACHRECORDSB WINS

Bill Belichick6-3XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX, XLIX, LI, LIII
Chuck Noll4-0IX, X, XIII, XIV
Joe Gibbs3-1XVII, XXII, XXVI
Bill Walsh3-0XVI, XIX, XXIII
Bill Belichick can get credit for Tom Brady, who is the primary reason he got to so many Super Bowls. But the Bill the GM and the offensive players he has drafted usually floundered upon departure from the Brady effect. Deion Branch was no dominant receiver without Brady. In terms of defensive coaching, he certainly has some credibility there, and the Pats play a very disciplined game as well, but I can name Wade Phillips and Dick Labeau as greater defensive minds.

Walsh may have left San Fran in 1989 but the future Super Bowls San Francisco won under Seifert were still directly connected to his grocery hauls and his innovative offense during his tenure at San Francisco.

Plus, at least some of Walsh's "offspring" from his tree has had a much more positive impact on the game, generally fielded competitive teams, and won Super Bowls as well. Belichick's tree has usually tanked the teams they arrived at.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Tampa should be pounding that rock on the ground with the weather conditions the game has.

Lol, this is the "69 Bowl" because Belichick and Arians are 69 years old.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Bill can credit for Tom Brady, who is the primary reason he got to so many Super Bowls. But the Bill the GM and the offensive players he has drafted usually floundered upon departure from the Brady effect. Deion Branch was no dominant receiver without Brady. In terms of defensive coaching, he certainly has some credibility there, and the Pats play a very disciplined game as well, but I can name Wade Phillips and Dick Labeau as greater defensive minds.

Walsh may have left San Fran in 1989 but the future Super Bowls San Francisco won under Seifert were still directly connected to his grocery hauls and his innovative offense during his tenure at San Francisco.

Plus, at least some of Walsh's "offspring" from his tree has had a much more positive impact on the game, generally fielded competitive teams, and won Super Bowls as well. Belichick's tree has usually tanked the teams they arrived at.

In some ways Bill Walsh may well have been the SMARTEST NFL head coach of all time I'll give you that... however it was a 1000% different situation when it came to drafting players when he was around.

Belichick also recognized Tom Brady for what he potentially was and promoted him over Drew Bledsoe. Not a completely popular decision at the time in Patriot country as I recall. (I'm on the fringe lol)

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
All the NFC games on Fox seem to have this issue not just WFT.
FOX broadcasts have just been fucking terrible. Like they were will be a stoppage of play and the announcers simply don't talk about it. There was a point today where there was a stop on 3rd down against WFT and they lined up to go for it, and the announcers were just like "we will be back after this break" and didn't even say why. Like we don't know if someone was injured, if there as a timeout, or wtf was going on. Then it comes back and they simply didn't mention it again.

Just terrible presentation. Missing critical replays all the time too.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
FOX broadcasts have just been fucking terrible. Like they were will be a stoppage of play and the announcers simply don't talk about it. There was a point today where there was a stop on 3rd down against WFT and they lined up to go for it, and the announcers were just like "we will be back after this break" and didn't even say why. Like we don't know if someone was injured, if there as a timeout, or wtf was going on. Then it comes back and they simply didn't mention it again.

Just terrible presentation. Missing critical replays all the time too.

Both commentators sucked in the Giants game really but the 2ed guy was so bad I had to mute it after awhile I just couldn't take it.

Fox doesn't seem to understand that SILENCE is vastly preferable to listening to a complete moron babble just to fill the air-space.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Both commentators sucked in the Giants game really but the 2ed guy was so bad I had to mute it after awhile I just couldn't take it.

Fox doesn't seem to understand that SILENCE is vastly preferable to listening to a complete moron babble just to fill the air-space.
TIL: Mark Sanchez is a fucking broadcaster.

Bet you just learned that too lol.

He was commenting the WFT game.

And to be fair, he was actually pretty damn good. I enjoyed him.

• Wow

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
TIL: Mark Sanchez is a fucking broadcaster.

Bet you just learned that too lol.

He was commenting the WFT game.

And to be fair, he was actually pretty damn good. I enjoyed him.

He was always fairly well-spoken when I saw him during interviews and occasionally as a guest on a NY sport show... I'm actually not surprised he's decent.

Isn't Brady the reason you hated the Pats in the first place? ;)

I never really rooted for them after Steve Grogan lol ... have always been a Giants fan.

Never really hated Brady/NE UNTIL he/they TALKED SMACK in 2008. ;)

Reactions: purbeast0

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Hahahahaha 50 year old man Brady just ran the 40 in 12 seconds and got a first down.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
He was always fairly well-spoken when I saw him during interviews and occasionally as a guest on a NY sport show... I'm actually not surprised he's decent.

He's also not a bad singer. And probably the first guy to stump the internet in guessing celebrities under a costume.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Consider this fact, Brady, with that 6yd scamper ran for more yds than the entire Patriot offense, they were -1 for the game and yet still Jones almost pulled off the upset, i think we're OK going into the future with Mac as QB.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
This is turning into a really interesting game!
Vegas will be happy, the Bucs didn't cover the -7.5 spread and the under was way off too. Heard on talk radio this afternoon betters were pummeling the Bucs expecting a blowout, didn't come close.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Hahahahaha 50 year old man Brady just ran the 40 in 12 seconds and got a first down.
He usually is sucessful when he runs because no one is expecting him to pull it down, had to LOL as he stared at the sidelines with the "how about that" stare.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
The Bills have been beating up awful teams, and it's been fun. But now comes the real test. In Kansas City on Sunday night.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
He usually is sucessful when he runs because no one is expecting him to pull it down, had to LOL as he stared at the sidelines with the "how about that" stare.
That was a tough game to watch because the defense was so quick to close in on him. It's clear that without Gronk as a deep threat on a seam route to pull a safety or underneath threat to pull an LB, Brady doesn't have all the pieces there.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
That was a tough game to watch because the defense was so quick to close in on him. It's clear that without Gronk as a deep threat on a seam route to pull a safety or underneath threat to pull an LB, Brady doesn't have all the pieces there.
I think the rain and defensive looks got to Brady more than anything. This is a game in which it should have been mostly the Fournette show, and they finally went that route for the lone TD drive. They almost ended it with the asshole CEO way of winning with the attempted bombs to Antonio Brown but the plays were not successful, likely in part due to the weather conditions.