NFL Stadiums...

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
I don't mean to brag (OK, I'll fess up, I DO!), but I was just notified that for the second year in a row, the home stadium of the Colts -- Lucas Oil Stadium -- was given the "Best NFL Stadium" crown by the Stadium Journal:

http://www.stadiumjourney.com/stadiums/lucas-oil-stadium-s91/

Check and see how your stadiums ranked. (HINT: I lol'ed at the Pats' stadium ranking, but I'm sure that shocks none of you who know me. :awe: )

What do you say Spidey? Let's hear it for the Colts! :D

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
As usual, these rankings have more to do with the team that plays in the stadium than the stadium itself. Ford Field is beautiful, though.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
As usual, these rankings have more to do with the team that plays in the stadium than the stadium itself. Ford Field is beautiful, though.

Lucas Oil IS a work of art. I've been to a Colts game there and the Men's Final Four last April, and it is an awesome stadium.

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
I do have to admit it will be nice to go to a Big Ten Championship game there. I'm glad they did not pick Soldier Field.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Indianapolis hosts a motorcycle industry convention every year at the convention center and stadium. My wife used to attend b/c she was in sales for an industry magazine. She went the last year at the old stadium and the first year at the new stadium.

She said that while the new stadium was impressive, the old one was much better for the convention.

Using ATOT logic that means that the old one was better for football too.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
Why did you LOL at Gilette Stadium? The only thing bad about it is trying to leave when a game is done. It's a traffic nightmare.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Indianapolis hosts a motorcycle industry convention every year at the convention center and stadium. My wife used to attend b/c she was in sales for an industry magazine. She went the last year at the old stadium and the first year at the new stadium.

She said that while the new stadium was impressive, the old one was much better for the convention.

Using ATOT logic that means that the old one was better for football too.

The old one was directly connected to the convention center, making access easier. Lucas Oil will also be directly connected to it (IIRC) via an underground tunnel. It hasn't opened yet due to construction on the convention center expansion.

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
Lucas Oil IS a work of art. I've been to a Colts game there and the Men's Final Four last April, and it is an awesome stadium.
Yeah, it is a nice stadium. I was at the final four as well and although I don't really like football stadiums for that, it was well done. But the fact that the Colts play there certainly doesn't hurt it, unlike some other places.

Indy is a great city to have the Big Ten Bball tournament and now the Football championship. Always a good time. Plus I love Scotty's.

Looking forward to visiting Reliant Stadium this April as well.

Last edited:

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Honestly, I was surprised Cowboys Stadium didn't win. I'm going to take in a game there in a few years. Maybe even the Final Four.

I heard from some Texas friends that while Cowboys stadium is physically impressive, the gameday viewing experience is terrible and most people end up watching the game on the jumbotron.

Shlong

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2002
Lucas Oil is a nice stadium and good value for the money but aesthetically, it looks like a big warehouse... the new Cowboys stadium and Giants/Jets stadium look really nice aesthetically.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
I only have been in one other NFL stadium to compare it too -- the RCA Dome. The RCA Dome was insanely loud but Lucas Oil is a much better venue.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Lucas Oil is a nice stadium and good value for the money but aesthetically, it looks like a big warehouse...

It grows on you. I didn't like it at first, but I've grown to like it. It is supposed to blend in with the existing architecture and evoke the look of a traditional Indiana fieldhouse.

I also drove by it every day on the way to work while it was being built, and it was really cool seeing them build it, especially one morning when I drove by and they were hoisting up one of the large roof trusses.

the new Cowboys stadium and Giants/Jets stadium look really nice aesthetically.

I agree on the Cowboys stadium, but I think the new Giants stadium is pretty unimpressive.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
I only have been in one other NFL stadium to compare it too -- the RCA Dome. The RCA Dome was insanely loud but Lucas Oil is a much better venue.
Can I put my vote in for Lincoln Financial Field having the worst fans? I saw them taunting the Giant's players during warm ups with expletives and challenging them to fights. Craziest frickin football fans I have ever seen. They also got someone sitting close to me kicked out by mob rule for just cheering for the opposition.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
But does it have a 5 million inch jumbotron hanging from the roof like Dallas?