NFL London team vs. Premier League club in U.S.?

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Keep hearing about how the NFL would like to put a team in London, why doesn't it work the other way? Barclays Premier League could put a team in NYC or somewhere and maybe finally establish a beachhead to get soccer popular in the U.S. I have no doubt you could sell out a match of Arsenal or Man U vs. USA.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
The American masses just don't care for soccer enough for them to see it as a worthwhile prospect imo. And historically I think the US tends to export more culture than it imports - I can see why they may have a 'If we build it, they will come' mentality.

Pantoot

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2002
I think a premier league team in the northeast would sell out, but I think the difference would be travelling across the atlantic for 8 games a regular season and 19 times.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
There already is a soccer league in the US. Why would they have a team here (in a city with two teams already) play in a different league and fly out every week to England? That would be ridiculous.

They already do big preseason tournaments with the big teams j the US anyway. I saw PSG vs Man U last year in Chicago.

And, the BPL doesn't need another team.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Because the Brits are content with their market share.
The NFL, on the other hand, are power hungry and want to invade Europe.

tynopik

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2004
fewer games in season (16 vs 38)
no other competition
nfl makes more money
more money over fewer games = more money per game = extra travel costs less important

Banana

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2001
NFL games have better ads. That's where I get the bestest promo codes for Draft Duels or Fan Kings whatever.

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004
Horrible idea!

Anyway, Soccer clubs already play pre-season exhibition matches in the US anyway. They play to sell out crowds in LA all the time.