NFL: Do black cities hire black QBs?

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Do you think NFL teams in cities that have a large black community tend to hire more black QBs?
It just seems strange to me that the best black QBs seem to be hired by cities with a large black demographic.

Atlanta: Vick, Leftwich
Philly: Cunningham, McNabb, Vick
Nashville: McNair, Young
Oakland: Russel, Campbell, Culpepper, Pryor
Washington: Williams, Campbell, McNabb
Baltimore: McNair, Troy Smith, Jeff Blake, Anthony Wright, Tony Banks
(many are backups, but there aren't many black QBs, so I counted them anyway)

Do you think this is partially marketing driven? (sell more souvenirs)
Or am I just finding "patterns" in a large amount of data?

Cities with Greater than 25% African American population:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...rican_American

US black population is only 12.6%, so these cities have a much larger black population than average.

Last edited:

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
Conversely, why don't Detroit, Miami, and New Orleans have a black quarterback? :D

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Good point. More conversely, why do "white or latino" cities not have black QBs?
Dallas, San Diego, New England

Nov 7, 2000
i think theres a more tactful way to put it (of course that won't get as much attention), but yes, I am sure teams take their demographics into consideration. its all about marketing, merchandise and making money.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
Conversely, why don't Detroit, Miami, and New Orleans have a black quarterback? :D

Or Baltimore.

It's worth remembering that while the city itself may have a certain demographic makeup a huge portion of a team's fans may come from the surrounding suburbs.

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com
i think theres a more tactful way to put it (of course that won't get as much attention), but yes, I am sure teams take their demographics into consideration. its all about marketing, merchandise and making money.

I highly doubt they even take it into consideration. In the NFL winning is everything, to suggest a team would consider even the slightest bit of a downgrade in a player for marketing purposes flat out contradicts that.

Now tell me a team avoids a player because they are locker room poison, then ya, I'll believe that because again, winning is everything.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Wait, can you bet on where draft picks will be selected?
I can make millions!

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com

I would consider Miami a hispanic/south american city.

As for Detroit, a long string of white guys, except for Charlie Batch, who was I think half white/black, or maybe he was just really light sknned, who knows.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
The Vikings are the main problem with this argument.

Minneapolis has had 7 black QBs and it only has 17.4% African American population.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
I don't believe any NFL teams select for ANY position based on race.

As for marketing to a demographic, I've gone to plenty of Eagles games over the years and the sold out crowds have always been overwhelmingly white.

Same with the TV market, which includes the overwhelmingly white suburbs.

My conclusion, OP, is that you simplistic little thesis has more logical and factual holes in it than a street bum's underwear, and basically sucks azz. :p

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
I beg to differ. The main problem with this argument is that it is stupid :D.
You can't fight the data.

Race in sports has always fascinated me. I want to know the mechanism behind it.
Blacks are 12.6% of the population, but over 80% of the WRs and 95% of the RBs. Why?
Whites are 90% of the catchers in the MLB, why?
Whites are over 95% of the kickers in the NFL, why?
(all these stats are made up, but decent estimates)

It's not taboo to talk about. I do not think one race is physically superior, so it must be culture.
There is nothing wrong with talking about cultural differences.

Nov 7, 2000
I highly doubt they even take it into consideration. In the NFL winning is everything, to suggest a team would consider even the slightest bit of a downgrade in a player for marketing purposes flat out contradicts that.

Now tell me a team avoids a player because they are locker room poison, then ya, I'll believe that because again, winning is everything.
No, money is everything. Winning leads to money, but I assure you the money is more important.

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
You can't fight the data.

Race in sports has always fascinated me. I want to know the mechanism behind it.
Blacks are 12.6% of the population, but over 80% of the WRs and 95% of the RBs. Why?
Whites are 90% of the catchers in the MLB, why?
Whites are over 95% of the kickers in the NFL, why?
(all these stats are made up, but decent estimates)

It's not taboo to talk about. I do not think one race is physically superior, so it must be culture.
There is nothing wrong with talking about cultural differences.

You went full retard, man. Never go full retard. You don't buy that? Ask Sean Penn, 2001, "I Am Sam." Remember? Went full retard, went home empty handed.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Lets put it this way. Nothing does more for merchandising and marketing than winning, especially winning championships. Teams get guys that they think can help them win, I don't think much of anything else matters. Perhaps there's a rare exception here and there, guys that are so iconic that they can drive sales etc without contributing as much directly to winning, but that's not the norm.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
The Vikings are the main problem with this argument.

Minneapolis has had 7 black QBs and it only has 17.4% African American population.

I was going to say, if you look at the black Vikings QBs over the last ~15 years they've had:

Warren Moon
Randall Cunningham
Daunte Culpepper
Tarvaris Jackson (lol)
Donovan McNabb (lol)
Joe Webb

And at least three of those guys you could call "franchise quarterbacks."

I think OP's argument makes no sense.

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com
Lets put it this way. Nothing does more for merchandising and marketing than winning, especially winning championships. Teams get guys that they think can help them win, I don't think much of anything else matters. Perhaps there's a rare exception here and there, guys that are so iconic that they can drive sales etc without contributing as much directly to winning, but that's not the norm.

I don't think those "rare exceptions" apply to football at all. The teams are too big and careers too short.

Maybe basketball or baseball, where Kobe or Lebron draw larger crowds.

I remember reading Nolan Ryan made any ballpark draw 5,000 more fans than normal every time he pitched. But that was only late in his career, due to his already legendary status.

Last edited:

M0RPH

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
That list of cities doesn't really mean much. Take Detroit, for example. Yes, the city is 85% black but there are many more people living in the suburbs, mostly white. Out of the 4.3 million population of metro Detroit, only 700,000 live in the city.

So you may have a point still, but you should look at the percent of blacks in the whole metro area of cities. People in the suburbs probably attend more games and buy more stuff than the inner city people.