Nextel Direct Connect...

TrueBlueLS

Platinum Member
Jul 13, 2001
My dad told me that Nextel was losing their exclusive rights to this feature pretty soon. Does anyone know what's going on about it and what phone companies might pick it up?

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: TrueBlueLS
My dad told me that Nextel was losing their exclusive rights to this feature pretty soon. Does anyone know what's going on about it and what phone companies might pick it up?

It would kick ass if this is true and T-Mobile picks it up and integrates it into their Sidekick!

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002

Where'd you hear this? I don't think they are losing the rights to it. I believe Motorola holds the rights to the iDen technology which is the push to talk technology that Nextel uses.

TrueBlueLS

Platinum Member
Jul 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Nocturnal

Where'd you hear this? I don't think they are losing the rights to it. I believe Motorola holds the rights to the iDen technology which is the push to talk technology that Nextel uses.

I'll ask him where he heard it when I see him tomorrow. Usually a lot of the info he gets is off the radio, so I don't really know. He was making fun of me because of my current phone (Samsung N400 through SprintPCS) would be outdated pretty quick if that was the case. Also, can anyone recommend a good phone for Nextel other than the i90c, and i95cl?

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

I'll ask him where he heard it when I see him tomorrow. Usually a lot of the info he gets is off the radio, so I don't really know. He was making fun of me because of my current phone (Samsung N400 through SprintPCS) would be outdated pretty quick if that was the case. Also, can anyone recommend a good phone for Nextel other than the i90c, and i95cl?

I use the I60. Really just a cheaper I90 with less features.

LuckyTaxi

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
There are talks that Verizon will work in conjunction with Nextel to debut phones with this option. Their patent on the direct connect feature is running out and other companies will jump into the fray.

TrueBlueLS

Platinum Member
Jul 13, 2001
Originally posted by: ThePresence

I use the I60. Really just a cheaper I90 with less features.

Cool... I know Nextel will probably want a security deposit, so I need to have a lower level phone.

RGN

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
The i60 is not too bad, but the screen is really rought compared to the i90. I have an i90, but have spent a bunch of time programming the i60s at work. If your looking to use the internet and e-mail features, get the i90.

jaws

Dec 27, 1999
Did'nt Nextel just go with national plans? I doubt they will loose there cellular rights.