Question Next version of MacOS 11(?) question

Rottie

Diamond Member
Feb 10, 2002
Hello I am back from long hiatus because my MBPr was stolen and now I bought it few days ago. Anyway I wonder next version of macOS will no longer old MBPr like 2014 model?
Thank you very much

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Not 100% sure what you're asking. If you are talking about macOS 10.15 Catalina, then you should be good. However, if you mean a version in the future, then your guess is as good as mine.

Reactions: Rottie

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
It's always anyone's guess as to which machines will and will not support the next macOS version. Usually you can count on at least 4-5 releases to work, but some machines fall off faster than others, and then there are things like the 2009/2010 Mac Pro which i think only just now lost support (thought they were supported incompletely and only if you had a GPU that was higher than the base model to support Metal). I have a 2012 Mac mini that runs Catalina, so that's 8 years of support, but I highly doubt it will work with the next OS version.

Reactions: Rottie

FaaR

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2007
In that case I do not want to save my money over again to upgrade my MBPr this year!
I don't think you need to worry about that just yet. My first macbook was supported for about 7 years, and the biggest reason it got sidelined I would think is its intel iGPU (2011 sandy bridge) could not support Metal.

Anyhow, there's no reason you couldn't continue using your computer with an older OS version, is there? You'll still receive security updates for a number of years. :)

Rottie

Diamond Member
Feb 10, 2002
Hello everyone again! macOS Big Sur is not compatible with my Mid 2012 MBPr so I am forced to upgrade to new 2019 MacBook Pro 15 inches just 3 weeks before macOS Big Sur and new M1 MacBook Pro I feel like my new MBPr is too old now and I remember Tim Cook said it takes about 2 years transition so I don't feel like upgrade to M1 MacBook Pro 15 inches :(