Next presidential debate to be virtual

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2009
I'm not sure they would be allowed to do that. ...I think there is some broadcasting licensing when it comes to presidential election policy/fairness, especially as it relates to the official debates, that each candidate has to be given "Equal airtime." Obviously all candidates for years have essentially been flouting this as they extend their time and talk over each others, Trump of course taking that to new, petulant levels of playground asshatery, but nonetheless, I *don't think* any Network would be allowed to air one of the official debates as one candidate participating.

Not sure if that applies because the President was offered “equal” time but refused it very publicly
But yeah I don’t see it turning into a 90 minute ad for Biden. I see it as something he could fuck up so why do it.

Reactions: Muse

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
But yeah I don’t see it turning into a 90 minute ad for Biden. I see it as something he could fuck up so why do it.

I disagree with this. Town halls are Biden's strongest performances typically. He's a good retail politician so it plays to his strengths.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Yeah, virtual takes Trump out of his game and into the parking lot.

Trump needs inducements. He needs to be allowed to have a mannequin of Joe sitting next to him in his golf cart at Mar a Lago so he can wrap his childish hands around Virtual Joe's neck and shake Dummy Joe as hard as he likes, yell at it as long as he likes and poke Virtual Joe's eyes out with his special cheater's scoring pencil (eraser attached) to you know, show the world what a tough guy he is.

I mean, it's all that Donald wants to do with Joe anyway, right?

Feb 4, 2009
I disagree with this. Town halls are Biden's strongest performances typically. He's a good retail politician so it plays to his strengths.

Remember there ideally would be a split 1/3 Biden dudes, 1/3rd undecided. 1/3rd MAGA dudes and he’d field twice the questions plus do twice the speaking.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Remember there ideally would be a split 1/3 Biden dudes, 1/3rd undecided. 1/3rd MAGA dudes and he’d field twice the questions plus do twice the speaking.

The questions are supposed to all come from voters vetted as "undecided".

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I'm not sure they would be allowed to do that. ...I think there is some broadcasting licensing when it comes to presidential election policy/fairness, especially as it relates to the official debates, that each candidate has to be given "Equal airtime." Obviously all candidates for years have essentially been flouting this as they extend their time and talk over each others, Trump of course taking that to new, petulant levels of playground asshatery, but nonetheless, I *don't think* any Network would be allowed to air one of the official debates as one candidate participating.
Is it "given" equal air time or "offered" equal air time?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Biden campaign issued a statement they regret Trump dropping out. Will do an event on the 15th. Requests the town hall debate move to the 22nd.

Seems like a smart play.

Reactions: Zorba
Feb 4, 2009
Is it "given" equal air time or "offered" equal air time?

To my understanding offered equal time but it can get weird because if I offer you time and you say no, to be compliant I should offer a MAGA turd the same or similar time. MAGA turd could say yes.
It is actually pretty simple a national candidate should be able to get equal air time on a news show as any other candidate. For example if Biden called into Fox because the President has had a at least an hour of airtime. Fox should allow Biden an hour of similar airtime. That isn’t saying Biden gets to talk to who or whatever he wants. In this example they’d likely have a MAGA turd ask all the questions for one hour.

Reactions: WelshBloke

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Biden should request to still take part. Fill Napoleon Boneyspurs’ half of the split screen with a picture of a milk carton or a wanted poster with his face.

Biden shows up, answers undecided’s questions, appears presidential, while Donnie Corona is out potentially starting up another superspreader event.

The consequences for not following CDC guidelines is that Trump got COVID. The consequences for that is that he can’t be in the room for a debate. If he doesn’t like the virtual format, no reason that the guy who DID follow CDC guidelines should be punished. Fuck, they can move it back to being in person without Trump there. Trump has said he’s going to hold a rally the night of the debate. I guarantee you that took his staff by surprise and right now they’re scrambling to create a Covidpalooza event somewhere in Trump land.

• Love

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005

They have to be given equal airtime, and Trump is being given that time, he is just choosing not to use it. I'm fairly sure that is a safe argument.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
wrong as usual
all the moderator has to do is mute the person who is not supposed to be talking. We will be able to see the the orange baboon scream like a 1920s movie... with no sound
The problem is that these things are all negotiated. They are not allowed to mute the mic unless both candidates agree to that being an allowed form of moderation.
There is simply no way the Trump campaign would accept that, maybe not the Biden campaign either.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
That was also completely ignored in 2016 when networks covered Trump Rally's in full basically everyday.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Will they finally be able to cut the mics? They should be able to because you cut the mic and cut the screen and it's done. Silence from the blowhard.

Feb 4, 2009
Biden should request to still take part. Fill Napoleon Boneyspurs’ half of the split screen with a picture of a milk carton or a wanted poster with his face.

Biden shows up, answers undecided’s questions, appears presidential, while Donnie Corona is out potentially starting up another superspreader event.

The consequences for not following CDC guidelines is that Trump got COVID. The consequences for that is that he can’t be in the room for a debate. If he doesn’t like the virtual format, no reason that the guy who DID follow CDC guidelines should be punished. Fuck, they can move it back to being in person without Trump there. Trump has said he’s going to hold a rally the night of the debate. I guarantee you that took his staff by surprise and right now they’re scrambling to create a Covidpalooza event somewhere in Trump land.

He should pull a Clint Eastwood and have an empty chair next to him.

or

Maybe not

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
The President said he was eager to return to the campaign trail and insisted he was no longer shedding the virus, even though he was only diagnosed a week ago. But he said he would refuse to participate in a virtual debate with Joe Biden, saying it would be easier for the moderator to cut him off.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Trump now wants debates on the 22 & 29.

Just say no.

These idiots at FOX are complaining that Biden might cheat (no mention about Trump). Well, 10 seconds of thought suggests the League of Women Voters go to both venues to oversee conditions. As they may be seen as Marxists, well because Trump, then there's another group that might be willing. Contact the Daughters of the American Revolution to do the same. Trump can call them commies all he likes and that won't sit well with most people.

The point is that neither candidate has to be unsupervised but there's not a neuron between all those people, not that they would speak that aloud regardless.

Nov 8, 2012
wrong as usual
all the moderator has to do is mute the person who is not supposed to be talking. We will be able to see the the orange baboon scream like a 1920s movie... with no sound

I don't know if you're aware of this amazing factoid... but.... microphones can be muted anywhere.... being a virtual meeting doesn't make them any more mutable than an in-person one sir-derpington.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I don't know if you're aware of this amazing factoid... but.... microphones can be muted anywhere.... being a virtual meeting doesn't make them any more mutable than an in-person one sir-derpington.
If the mics were muted in-person, one candidate could still hear the other talking quite audibly. The issue of one candidate yelling and distracting the other candidate is not solved unless the debates are virtual or each candidate is put in a sound proof booth of some kind.

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
Man I was really looking forward to the next debate too. Watching Trump get so aggravated that he ends up going into a Roid Rage and starts throwing shit around the stage was going to be EPIC!!!

Reactions: Zorba

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
If the mics were muted in-person, one candidate could still hear the other talking quite audibly. The issue of one candidate yelling and distracting the other candidate is not solved unless the debates are virtual or each candidate is put in a sound proof booth of some kind.
Could also wear noise cancelling earbuds. Very doable.