Question Next CPU/Platform Upgrade Timing?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
here is how it looks like when you don't benchmark average of averages

https://www.techspot.com/review/1754-battlefield-5-cpu-multiplayer-bench/

https://www.computerbase.de/thema/prozessor/rangliste/#diagramm-performancerating-frametimes - select the gaming chart and frametimes (99th percentile)

CPU is still most important when when it comes to the most intensive combat/boss fight scenes, where GPU defines the overall performance at selected resolution

IMO we wont see much improvement in this area (even with ryzen 3000) unless sunny cove architecture derivates come to the market...
The AnandTech bench link that I used also contains 95th percentile frame rates, but at the highest resolutions, they weren't that much different compared to the averages so I didn't bother to include them. The overall results were slightly more favorable here to the 9900k, but not so much as you might expect. There were still several games where once you get to 1440p or 4K, the results fall within the margin of error.

We can argue over whether 95th percentile is good enough, or whether it should really be 99th, or even 99.9th percentile, but if we're going to get to that level of analysis you'd want to look at a frame time graph to see what's going anyways. And once again, those results tend to get washed out more and more when you move to higher resolutions.

TheGiant

Jun 12, 2017
The AnandTech bench link that I used also contains 95th percentile frame rates, but at the highest resolutions, they weren't that much different compared to the averages so I didn't bother to include them. The overall results were slightly more favorable here to the 9900k, but not so much as you might expect. There were still several games where once you get to 1440p or 4K, the results fall within the margin of error.

We can argue over whether 95th percentile is good enough, or whether it should really be 99th, or even 99.9th percentile, but if we're going to get to that level of analysis you'd want to look at a frame time graph to see what's going anyways. And once again, those results tend to get washed out more and more when you move to higher resolutions.
as resolution increases, the importance and the value of high percentile becomes even more important
in current times, at 1080p there is a mix in gameplay that comes GPU and CPU bound, so 95th percentile is usually cpu bound
at 4k most of the gaming scenes are GPU bound, so you need to look at the 99th or even better 99,9% percentile frame time ( and those are usually the same as with 1080P- boss fights, lots of objects, difficult movements, fast aiming needed etc)
atm its still CPU bound - look at the techspot bf5 multiplayer, at 4k https://www.techspot.com/review/1754-battlefield-5-cpu-multiplayer-bench/ the 1080ti/2080nonTi is about ryzen2600x bottleneck, the pentium g does mins of 24fps (at that is 1% not 0,1%), so its not that you can choose any CPU at 4K
CPU usually stays longer within the build than GPU- the next GPU of rtx3080Ti/other at 4K will be bottlenecked by the 2600x/8400 or slower
since GeForce 1 came out, I've been reading that GPUs will take the job- it didn't happen for nearly 20 years...the same is still here with cpu vs gpu- CPU=critical scenes, GPU=general average performance
and the future is not 8k or 16k, 4k is "enough" atm but the future it is also high fps smooth 144fps gaming and CPU comes more important, not less than ever in this age

Last edited:

Thala

Nov 12, 2014
There is no argument - looking at the 95th percentile is senseless. This still means that 5 out of 100 frames do not achieve the deadline for the framerate. So assuming 60fps - 5 out of 100 frames have a frametime higher than 16.6ms and produce micro stutter. Either you directly look at maximum frametime or at least 99.9th percentile.
Then of course your examples which show similar performance are heavily GPU limited - especially if a GTX1080 is used driving 4k resolution - thats absurd.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
Good timing starts this summer/autumn.

- memory prices are coming down to reasonable levels
- SSD prices are at all-time low and expected to slowly go down throughout 2019, with fast NVME price premium mostly gone
- summer will mark a strong release from AMD and Intel is bound to respond (just pick what suits you)

The second half of this year will be a very good time for all-round desktop upgrades.
OP, I came here to say basically this. Wait for Ryzen 3 to drop, I expect we will see a couple of the Ryzen niggling issues like lower top RAM speed and lower top clocks get improved and it will keep its current strengths (lots of cores for cheap)

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
Unless you care about bragging rights and benchmarks at resolutions you won't game it, it really doesn't matter what CPU you go with if you're running at the highest resolutions.

I'd just suggest getting whatever CPU has the best performance for the work-related tasks you need it for and realize that it's probably going to be fine for any gaming that you do and that you won't be able to notice any differences in most titles unless there's some bug that probably gets fixed within a few weeks of being discovered.
This is all true and I'm not disagreeing with you. But the caveat is that while CPU doesn't matter much for high resolution gaming, it matters greatly for high frame rate gaming (90+ FPS). Those two being the 2 most strenuous things you can do with a graphics card.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS