Newspapers no longer the crucial source of news.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
You've heard it -- the newspapers have been doing not so well and people say it's because nowadays there are other sources for news, presumably online.

I used to get a newspaper 365/year, but lately just 5 days/week.

FYI, I don't care about Britney, Nicole, the queen, the tabloids. I do want to know what's really happening. I know that my tastes/requirements are not your tastes/requirements. What sources do you people use for news, especially online?

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
google, bbc, too many rss feeds to name heh, and here.

Oh and fark for the real news.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
We only get the newspaper on Saturday and Sunday. ANd only for the SUnday Ads and coupons. I get my news from the Customized Google.com home page and from the local newspaper's website. Also news.yahoo.com for other stuff.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
..now a days newspapers are largely liberal rags that parrot each other. I guess liberals don't read.

paulxcook

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
Newspapers, or perhaps more specifically newsrooms, probably won't die out. They will need to change. However, it is in the best interest of Yahoo and Google news that newsrooms continue, as they're almost entirely dependent upon full-time reporters. The physical newspaper will continue to dwindle, but the reporters must keep digging if we want to have some idea of what is going on.

I get much of my news from Google, as I like their delivery best.

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
Wall Street Journal, The Economist, Investor's daily news. CNBC is the only news TV I watch.

ChAoTiCpInOy

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
DIGG. Woot woot. Actually it depends on what kind of news because of the crap celebrity scandals that are pointless and the local news that has no effect on the world news. So yeah, mostly digg.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Originally posted by: b0mbrman
Originally posted by: ballmode
Newspapers aren't dying

I know...

OP, have you got a link?

I shouldn't have said that. It was inaccurate. Maybe I should rephrase the topic: Newspapers are having it rough lately,...

I don't have a link, but I have heard several times the last couple of years or so that newspaper subscribership has been shrinking. I sure don't expect them to die.

Drudge, digg and fark are new to me. Guess I'll Google them. Edit: I've got them bookmarked now, news.bbc.co.uk too. Thanks.

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Originally posted by: Muse
Originally posted by: b0mbrman
Originally posted by: ballmode
Newspapers aren't dying

I know...

OP, have you got a link?

I shouldn't have said that. It was inaccurate. Maybe I should rephrase the topic: Newspapers are having it rough lately,...

I don't have a link, but I have heard several times the last couple of years or so that newspaper subscribership has been shrinking. I sure don't expect them to die.

As far as i'm aware they're doing fine here ;)

I'd go insane trying to flip through even 1/10th of the amount of information in a daily paper online.

I read the BBC, ninemsn, and www.thewest.com.au for WA specific stuff, but i still love reading the paper everyday.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
I still get my news from the 2 daily newspapers and generally find that I can find out more on breaking stories from Fox News/CNN than I can online. Normally breaking stories online just toss you a headline and a promise for information later.