Newsgroups

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Yzzim
Originally posted by: Pepsei
Originally posted by: Yzzim
Originally posted by: Pepsei
Why not switch to Verizon DSL? free unlimited use of their usenet servers.

It maybe a little slow, but who cares when you can download everything when you go to bed?

maybe because not everyone has Verizon in their community....?

I feel sorry for you. :p

Any other options? Before Verizon, I used terranews, you can even sign up to their free server ($3.95 one time fee I think).

Qwest came in here about 3 months ago and setup dsl. No other options yet. :(

Thanks for the info about terranews, I'll check them out.

Anythings you don't like about them?

I don't like limits. and most paid newservers have them. When I was with comcast cable, they offered free giganews server account, but I hit the limit of 1 gig/month in one day.

Feb 10, 2000
I think as long as they have DSL-capable phone lines in your area you can use Earthlink DSL, which should be a better service.

Yzzim

Lifer
Feb 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Don_Vito
I think as long as they have DSL-capable phone lines in your area you can use Earthlink DSL, which should be a better service.

Just checked and Earthlink isn't available.

My community is actually working on setting up their own Telecom system. Fiber to the home, hopefully they'll give it generous bandwidth.

hahher

Jan 23, 2004
how "safe" are newsgroups?

compared to other typical places like p2p or chat

xXped0thugXx

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2004
netnews.msn.com

use grabit thats the ish

screw p2p its crap compared to newsgroups,,, especially cause its much to slow compared to newgroups...they run at your ISP's caps (usually)

Aves

Lifer
Feb 7, 2001
/waves hand like a Jedi

"There are no such thing as newsgroups."

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
eh, most newsgroups dumped by isps now. sbc used to have em, then the binaries got dumped.