NewsBin PRO Kicks @ss

Slacker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I will probably end up getting in trouble with my ISP because NewsBin PRO is so much easier to use than outlook express and Agent that I have been downloading "a bit more than usual"

I have used Outlook express forever, too many issues with it to cover all of them but it has a bug in it that gives an "unknown error" after downloading more than 400 parts of a message(file) also, if you have an encoded binary file selected it shows as text in the preview pane and each time you get new headers it scans the whole thing for hyperlinks, which slows things down a lot for it to scan a 14mb "text" file, and it takes way too long to get all the headers, I have more gripes about Outlook express but they are now moot.

I tried Agent and it seemed too disorganized and somewhat difficult to use, but definitely better than Outlook express.

I tried the NewsBin PRO demo for a few days and liked it enough to spend $35.00 to buy it

One of the things I like about it is that you dont see all the sections of a single .rar like.

pR0n_1-of-69.rar
pR0n_1-of-69.r01
pR0n_1-of-69.r02
pR0n_1-of-69.r03
pR0n_1-of-69.r04 all the way up to 43 or so, you just see

pR0n_1-of-69
pR0n_2-of-69 < these include all 43 or so sub sections in one message
pR0n_3-of-69

so you dont have to sort and choose 43 parts of 69 files, just add the 69 files to the download list and "set it and forget it"

I tried overloading it by choosing over 3gb worth of messages, when I checked it a little more than 3 hours later it had completed with no problems.

Also, outlook express had no way to get more than one file at a time, with NewsBin PRO it lets you set the max number of connections allowed by your news server, which is 4 for me, so I download four parts at a time, this uses 2mbps of the 3mbps available.

Outlook express took way too long to save 20 or so 14mb attachments where NewsBin PRO saves each one on the fly.

Outlook express limited you to geetting 1000 headers at a time and NewsBin PRO will get all headers for all groups you choose.

To sum it up

NewsBin PRO kicks @ss :D

Slacker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: fyleow
Outlook express is a newsreader program, not a binary fetcher.

Haha, reading newsgroups=reading articles in PlayBoy? yeah, NewsBin PRO was designed with Binarys in mind but Outlook express is what a lot of people use for news groups simply because it is there.

Slacker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
It also has a "Counter" that lets you track how much you have downloaded, 19.7gb in the past week :eek:

iwearnosox

Lifer
Oct 26, 2000
I'm stuck with agent. It's the only one I've used for years, the only one that seemingly does what I want it to. Have these others finally caught up?

anxi80

Lifer
Jul 7, 2002
what are these newgroups you speak of? whats a newsbin? i think you are making these terms up, theres no such thing...

< 30.64GB, shhhhh :D

optoman

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 1999
Agent was originally sold a few years ago. The new owners basically just sat on the product and didn't do much with any new features. Well, the original owners bought it back and are now about to start beta trials on version 2.0. From what I hear, it is to be a drastic improvement from the current version.

I also have used Agent for the past 3-4 years and don't have it in me to change to a different program. I can't wait for 2.0.

illustri

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2001
wait i use newsbin and im not aware of that option to merge all the rar files in one convenient header

what version? i use 4.12

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I just search the newsgroups for what I want and use Easynews' web client.

It's annoying downloading hundreds of thousands of headers.

SludgeFactory

Platinum Member
Sep 14, 2001
Originally posted by: optoman
Agent was originally sold a few years ago. The new owners basically just sat on the product and didn't do much with any new features. Well, the original owners bought it back and are now about to start beta trials on version 2.0. From what I hear, it is to be a drastic improvement from the current version.

I also have used Agent for the past 3-4 years and don't have it in me to change to a different program. I can't wait for 2.0.
I wondered why they never updated that program.

Agent is still my fave for reading text, if they vastly upgrade the binaries-handling that would be nice.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
where do you guys find binary newsservers? My ISP has nothing on it..other than a few naughty pics.

royaldank

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2001
NewsPro (http://www.usenetopia.com/) is the best one I've used. If you have an account with multiple servers, it wonderful. Tracks all the servers, allows you to combine multiple groups into one folder and elimate repeats. The best thing is the header search which is server dependant. Newsfeeds allows you to search headers without having to download all of them. It's done on the server. Just enter the keyword(s) and all the groups you want to search. It returns the results as if you are downloading headers. Saves a lot of time not having to download headers if you know what you want.

iwearnosox

Lifer
Oct 26, 2000
Originally posted by: MartyTheManiak
where do you guys find binary newsservers? My ISP has nothing on it..other than a few naughty pics.
easynews, supernews, etc. There are no good free ones if that's what you mean- you have to pay if you want to play!

iwearnosox

Lifer
Oct 26, 2000
Just finished checking out newsbin- it's terrible on so many different levels. New headers are stored in ram? So much for downloading new headers for all the group I subscribe to.

Blech. Back to agent.

Pretty Cool

Jan 20, 2000
That all the sections into a single .rar has been available in Agent for years. Anyway, Agent + add-ons can do everything I need including:

1. Combining multiple servers into 1 virtual feed basically eliminating any incompletes.
2. Retrieve by message-id so I only need to download headers once. This also helps with leeching.
3. Opens multiple connections to all servers available to you (ISP's, paid, free, open) and uses every drop of your bandwidth. Great for those who have capped servers.