Newly elected GOP congressman (NY) appears to have lied about ... EVERYTHING

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
He really is the perfect embodiment of the current GOP.
He hasn’t gone over the deep end with conspiracy theories yet. He hasn’t got all woke yet. But he’s started to call the reporters constantly harassing him fake news.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
He really is the perfect embodiment of the current GOP.
He hasn’t gone over the deep end with conspiracy theories yet. He hasn’t got all woke yet. But he’s started to call the reporters constantly harassing him fake news.
He definitely has the dishonesty down like second nature, but he hasn't quite been mean-spirited and spiteful enough. Most of his lies so far have been about himself, not against others like MTG might do.

He's talked some trash, but not really laid into anyone or any policy that hard. He's been hovering in the mid-ground, trying to be in the camera/spotlight; yet not drawing too much direct attention (avoiding questioning, etc.) It's like he wants his face on camera but doesn't want anyone to try speaking to him. Maybe he considers himself eye candy, IDK.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
At the moment the Repubs are acting like he's legit and good to go what with his being given committee assignments and zero talk on their side about relieving him of his duties. If they think they can wait the controversy out and have everyone forget about his blatant fakery so as to keep his seat on their side of the aisle until the '24 elections roll around, then it'd be more about keeping the Dems from having the seat more than anything else because having his vote is practically meaningless due to the Democrat majority in the Senate and Biden waving a double eagle at them from the White House.

Reactions: hal2kilo and Pohemi

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Santos' financial backers must be shitting bricks right about now, along with his planted advisers and campaign crew. Must be pretty easy to cull out a few rats with first come first serve plea deals.

Good. They need to start sending these folks to FPMITA prison.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Republicans promote George Santos and MTG with committee spots while kicking off Adam Schiff

I hope people are paying attention

Reactions: hal2kilo

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Republicans promote George Santos and MTG with committee spots while kicking off Adam Schiff

I hope people are paying attention

How tragically hilarious it is that the primary driving force behind the Repub's motives is the emotional rage they feel that manifests itself in the form of juvenile-minded revenge. They feel they were unjustly persecuted for spreading the lies and disinformation they righteously paid for in that red ripple in a pond that they fully expected to be a red tsunami of wins by the voters of the nation.

They wanted payback for being punished and humiliated from having to censure Marge Green and her outrageous behavior and have somewhat satisfied their angst by unceremoniously removing Schiff and Swalwell from their committees while "righting a wrong" done to MTG by acquiescing to her demands that she and other radical righties be given high profile committee assignments. Take that ya' dirty filthy undeserving Democrats. Hah! Hahaaa.

The Repubs in Congress are rewarding themselves for their acts of insurrection against the nation. They are rewarding themselves for supporting Trump's Big Lie that has been debunked time after time in the courts. They want to be rewarded for their incessant nation-wide attempts at suppressing and corrupting the system we use to vote.

They want to be rewarded for the numerous immoral and unethical acts against The People of the nation that they somehow felt delusionally justified in perpetrating. The minority party of the nation wants to force their religious dogma down the throats of the "unbelieving heathen of the nation" that is "dragging the nation into the depths of Hell".

Imagine that.

Reactions: hal2kilo and Pohemi

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
How tragically hilarious it is that the primary driving force behind the Repub's motives is the emotional rage they feel that manifests itself in the form of juvenile-minded revenge. They feel they were unjustly persecuted for spreading the lies and disinformation they righteously paid for in that red ripple in a pond that they fully expected to be a red tsunami of wins by the voters of the nation.

They wanted payback for being punished and humiliated from having to censure Marge Green and her outrageous behavior and have somewhat satisfied their angst by unceremoniously removing Schiff and Swalwell from their committees while "righting a wrong" done to MTG by acquiescing to her demands that she and other radical righties be given high profile committee assignments. Take that ya' dirty filthy undeserving Democrats. Hah! Hahaaa.

The Repubs in Congress are rewarding themselves for their acts of insurrection against the nation. They are rewarding themselves for supporting Trump's Big Lie that has been debunked time after time in the courts. They want to be rewarded for their incessant nation-wide attempts at suppressing and corrupting the system we use to vote.

They want to be rewarded for the numerous immoral and unethical acts against The People of the nation that they somehow felt delusionally justified in perpetrating. The minority party of the nation wants to force their religious dogma down the throats of the "unbelieving heathen of the nation" that is "dragging the nation into the depths of Hell".

Imagine that.
You are way more eloquent than I am these days. I used to type out passionate and nicely worded posts like yours but these days I go with the condensed version of yours.

Republicans are evil, shitty, horrific people that are the enemy and must be stopped.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I was worried for a moment there that more than 24 hours had passed without any new revelations about the guy's dishonesty. He's an onion of lies - they'll never finish peeling it. (And maybe there's nothing there underneath it all - he's Zelig, doesn't actually exist at all once you peel away all the fiction).

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

Seems it's not just the restaurant bills that were all exactly $199.99 (i.e. 1 cent below the point at which it's required to keep receipts under campaign financing law).

This isn't at all new, but didn't find this mentioned before (at least a search for 199 didn't find it). Surely this merits some sort of official investigation? Implies he made a concious effort to avoid scrutiny about campaign spending, no?

Records that Rep.-elect George Santos’ campaign filed with the Federal Election Commission show 37 expenditures, on office supplies, hotels, ride-share app Uber, restaurants and more, for the exact same amount: $199.99.

Campaign finance experts say those expenditures the New York representative-elect reported stood out for a key reason: They are one penny below the dollar figure above which the FEC requires campaigns to keep receipts.

Last edited:

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
How does one “temporarily” step down from committees only but still be in town to attend house floor sessions? If he had any honour, take leave of absence completely. Make the spineless one margin even smaller. Just makes him regret eliminating the vote by proxy

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I’m not kidding if I were him I would consider fleeing the country. It sounds like he still has some money and there’s no way this is going to turn out well for him.

Reactions: Pohemi and hal2kilo

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
I’m not kidding if I were him I would consider fleeing the country. It sounds like he still has some money and there’s no way this is going to turn out well for him.
The question is... how many times has he already done this previously (fled a country to evade prosecution)?

Only one we know about so far is Brazil, but this onion still has many layers to go.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

Everyone interested should read this one. His top donors not being real people means he is hiding the originof his campaign funds. If this is true, Santos is done. Santos knows it, too. In related news:

He asks the GOP leadership to remove him from all committes until his "issues are resolved."

I agree with fskimospy. The smart move for him is to flee.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Everyone interested should read this one. His top donors not being real people means he is hiding the originof his campaign funds. If this is true, Santos is done. Santos knows it, too. In related news:

He asks the GOP leadership to remove him from all committes until his "issues are resolved."

I agree with fskimospy. The smart move for him is to flee.
Stepping off committees was in no way voluntary.

Shouldn't he have been smart enough to submit some bills at $174.58 and $186.34? .01 below the receipt limit?