Newly elected GOP congressman (NY) appears to have lied about ... EVERYTHING

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
He said "ish" guys. Just because you assumed things you now criticize? tsk tsk tsk!

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Washington Post has a rundown of the latest compilation of lies and it's pretty incredible.

LOL, here's an alternative link for those tapped out with WaPo.

I like that first one, where he claims to own 13 rental properties, then goes on and on in several tweets complaining about his tenants not paying rent, that the government won't help, and that "this is how my family puts food on the table."

Except he owns no rental properties. He just made the whole thing up.

Wasn't there a time when getting caught red handed making shit up could get you into some political trouble? Or am I misremembering and it's always been this way?

Reactions: DaaQ

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
So far appears to be radio silence.

CNN has reached out to House GOP leadership and the National Republican Congressional Committee in the wake of Santos’ admissions. House GOP leadership was silent amid last week’s revelations. Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy would not answer CNN’s questions Thursday when asked if he was concerned about apparent misrepresentations.
He's already pledged his support for McCarthy as leader of the HOR, so guess what?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It sounds like he's an entirely fictional character.
Except all that money had to come from somewhere. He went from flat broke to having so much money he could loan his campaign $700k in very little time. He claimed it was from a company he ran but from what I read the company had revenues of like $50k.

The lies about everything else are shitty and worthy of condemnation but to me it’s the money, the money, the money.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
LOL, here's an alternative link for those tapped out with WaPo.

I like that first one, where he claims to own 13 rental properties, then goes on and on in several tweets complaining about his tenants not paying rent, that the government won't help, and that "this is how my family puts food on the table."

Except he owns no rental properties. He just made the whole thing up.

Wasn't there a time when getting caught red handed making shit up could get you into some political trouble? Or am I misremembering and it's always been this way?
I have to stick with him being ‘Jew-ish’ as my favorite.

A10D8E35-5065-4CA6-B513-C98024043B12.gif

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Except all that money had to come from somewhere. He went from flat broke to having so much money he could loan his campaign $700k in very little time. He claimed it was from a company he ran but from what I read the company had revenues of like $50k.

The lies about everything else are shitty and worthy of condemnation but to me it’s the money, the money, the money.

Yes, Dun & Bradstreet said that his company earned $43K in its first 14 months. There is sufficient cause for the FBI to investigate here.

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
He says he just “embellished on his resume”. Who wants to tell hem that people can, and do, get fired for lying on their resumes.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The Republican Party the party of

Racists
Anti semites
Insurrectionists
Liars
Transphobics

Did I miss any more of their other positive attributes?

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
The Republican Party the party of

Racists
Anti semites
Insurrectionists
Liars
Transphobics

Did I miss any more of their other positive attributes?

Focus on the lies. If they weren't the party of liars, they wouldn't be nearly as effective at any of those other things.

Reactions: hal2kilo

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Focus on the lies. If they weren't the party of liars, they wouldn't be nearly as effective at any of those other things.

They used to lie about their racism. Now they are open about it

I would also add anti people of color immigrant. There are larger numbers of people overstaying their visa then brown people crossing the southern border but somehow that isn’t mentioned

The head of the Republican Party has articulated their immigration stance

Mexicans: rapists and murderers
Haiti: they have aids
Norway: I want my immigrants from there

Last edited:

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
I'm truly BLOWN away how Santos resume and all the other multitude of lies, shady money was not an election issue. This was not obscure stuff. Santos ran a contested election. So why didn’t Robert Zimmerman’s campaign people not find this stuff out before the election and make an issue out of it? Checking your opponent’s background should be Political Campaigning 101. This grifter just strolled into congress unnoticed and unvetted for the most part.

Where was the media? I'm not near NYC, but it's baffling nobody in the media had the truth about this guy. Or did they? If somebody in the Zimmerman campaign tried leaking the story to the media in the hopes that the media would run with it while the Zimmerman campaign could look like they weren’t playing negative politics. But if/when the media didn’t bite, the Zimmerman campaign should have just run its own ads and forced the issue. I don't have the access to any FEC filings, if Zimmerman’s campaign did spend money on an opposition research firm, they should probably ask for a refund. It’s especially inept because Santos didn’t come out of nowhere and catch them off guard. He ran for the same seat in 2020. The Democrats should have found all this stuff back then.

He loaned his own campaign $700,000, which he apparently paid himself out of his shell corporation that allegedly manages $80 million in “family assets”. Yet he claimed he had essentially no assets in his 2020 run. He has no explanation for where this money came from. He could be looking at campaign finance violations or financial fraud. At least The New York AG has already announced she’s looking into it, and this criminal is outed.

Now, all the blame goes to the lying liar Santos. BUT... his Republican primary opponent, Democratic opponent and the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC) is as well for not doing the elementary opposition research that would have exposed his lies. This Santos is a prototypical Trump Republican who thinks they can get away with lying for power and money. This is how many of today's Republican party members have chosen to operate. They have got to know this. This guy getting as far as he did should have never happened.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
But, if I were him, thinking the way he thinks, I wouldn't resign either. Nothing to gain from it. He's at the apex of his power right now. The money trail is very shady and I'm sure he's expecting an indictment soon. Rather be indicted as a sitting Rep.

TeeJay1952

Golden Member
May 28, 2004
Conspiracy to Defraud US Government?
If an employee tried this would there be repercussions'?
Did he not defraud voters and opponent alike

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I have to stick with him being ‘Jew-ish’ as my favorite.

View attachment 73504

Yes, that is pretty classic. Had I all the sudden told my parents that I didn't consider myself Jewish, merely Jew-ish, they'd have found that highly amusing.

The reason I was interested in the lie about him owning the rental properties is that it was so eleborate, with him going on for multiple tweets about being screwed over by his deadbeat tenants, and how the government won't help. Making something like that up out of whole cloth to the point where you're feigning emotions over it is just so far outside the "I embellished my resume" line he's trying to pull now. To me it's more like you go to a job interview and are asked why you left your previous job, then tell an emotional story over how you were sexually harrassed then got fired for complaining about it, all the while crying while telling the story. And your story is complete with all sorts of fake details. But the truth is you were actually fired for stealing from your employer.

This guy is a classic grifter. Who knows what they will find if they ever do actually investigate him.