Newly elected GOP congressman (NY) appears to have lied about ... EVERYTHING

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
What the hell was the Zimmermann doing?

Where D opposition research at?
Says he knew all along, not like he didn't. Exposing lies doesn't neutralize them with an undiscerning electorate.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
GQP is a home for pathological liars, we already knew that, but this guy is particularly vile. The Holocaust thing in particular. What a piece of shit.

File it among the many thousands of reasons of why Rs are toxic to this country.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Says he knew all along, not like he didn't. Exposing lies doesn't neutralize them with an undiscerning electorate.

This stuff came out before the election? Then why is the media (and GOP) acting like this is newly discovered?

From what I understand this was a highly competitive district. Not to excuse this clown's apparent misbehavior, but the Dems have to at least make an effort to win and decent oppo research is absolutely necessary these days.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Hakeem Jeffries making fun of him saying he's gone into the witness protection program since this came out.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
This stuff came out before the election? Then why is the media (and GOP) acting like this is newly discovered?

From what I understand this was a highly competitive district. Not to excuse this clown's apparent misbehavior, but the Dems have to at least make an effort to win and decent oppo research is absolutely necessary these days.
Evidently some of the lies were known but not the full extent.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Can the House refuse to seat his ass? There must be provisions whereby it can be put to a vote when a member is just too too stinky to share the chamber with him/her.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Can the House refuse to seat his ass? There must be provisions whereby it can be put to a vote when a member is just too too stinky to share the chamber with him/her.

I think the specifics are they can refuse to seat if the member elect doesn't meet constitutional requirements or election wasn't certified appropriately. If none of the above, they have to seat and then expel via 2/3 vote.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I think the specifics are they can refuse to seat if the member elect doesn't meet constitutional requirements or election wasn't certified appropriately. If none of the above, they have to seat and then expel via 2/3 vote.
Well, rPubs won't vote for that, what could be handier for them than to have another liar onboard?

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Hell, we're not even sure if he's actually Jewish. Wonder when this will get on the "I almost got away with it" series.

New report suggests Republican election winner busted as a fraud may “not even be Jewish" | Salon.com

There is no evidence he is Jewish, unless you take the word of someone who lied about literally everything else. Anyway, records show his grandparents were born in Brazil before WWII. There were practically no Jews there at the time.

I do find it amusing that he added a Ukrainian origin to his family story just this year, in April. Next we'll hear that Zelensky is his cousin.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Can they refuse to seat a insurrectionist supporting party?

lsd

Golden Member
Sep 26, 2000
Looks like Trump found his next running mate.
I'd bet if all this came out before the election he would not lose one vote. All republicans are compulsive liars wether it be politicians or voters. All they care is about winning no matter what cost.

Mar 11, 2004
One of the main differences between liberals and conservatives is that liberals think logically while conservatives are emotional.

So the liberal sees bothsidesing as blatant non sequitor. Political lies and corruption are dealt with case by case, not by party lines. Just like how crime is addressed. To liberals, bothsidesing is a counterproductive distraction to solving the problem of political corruption.

Conservatives OTOH are emotional and have their egos wrapped up in their partisan identities. So unlike liberals, they're far more concerned with launching a counterattack against the egos and partisan identities on the other side than they are with addressing the problem of political corruption. Because in their minds, that problem can't be solved, therefore it's all about who gets punished.

But how could we possibly know that?!?!? Literally the argument people had been using for years on why they had to keep voting against Democrats, because, sure, they knew Republicans are the scummiest pieces of shit around, but maybe the Democrats might be worse! Look, Hilary's emails!!! Bidenson!!! Elizabeth Warren is so awful I'll vote for Turmp!

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
LOL@ at this turd:

Sure, I lied about "some parts" of my resume, but I swear I'm not a criminal!

“I’m not going to make excuses for this, but a lot of people overstate in their resumes, or twist a little bit. … I’m not saying I’m not guilty of that,” he said.

Let's see. He lied about going to two different universities when he never went to any. Claimed he worked for Goldman Sachs and Citigroup. He did not. Claimed his maternal grandparents survived the Holocaust. They did not. They were not Jewish. There were in Brazil at the time.

Just a few minor embellishments. But hey, he claims he committed no crimes. Just lies. And that's OK now, right? I mean, he's a republican afterall. Republicans get a pass on their first 30,000 lies.

Nothing to see here.

imrs.jpg

Last edited:

dbk

Lifer
Apr 23, 2004
He says he's not Jewish but Jew-Ish.... LOL

How sad is it that it's like 50/50 he stays in Congress.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captante

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
So ... This incredibly profuse pathological liar, criminal and election fraudster is about to be sworn in as a Republican congressman from New York, with the GOP’s blessing?. Has ANY Republican spoken up to disqualify him from taking the oath of office?

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
So ... This incredibly profuse pathological liar, criminal and election fraudster is about to be sworn in as a Republican congressman from New York, with the GOP’s blessing?. Has ANY Republican spoken up to disqualify him from taking the oath of office?
So far appears to be radio silence.

CNN has reached out to House GOP leadership and the National Republican Congressional Committee in the wake of Santos’ admissions. House GOP leadership was silent amid last week’s revelations. Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy would not answer CNN’s questions Thursday when asked if he was concerned about apparent misrepresentations.

Reactions: hal2kilo

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
So far appears to be radio silence.

CNN has reached out to House GOP leadership and the National Republican Congressional Committee in the wake of Santos’ admissions. House GOP leadership was silent amid last week’s revelations. Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy would not answer CNN’s questions Thursday when asked if he was concerned about apparent misrepresentations.

Haven't followed this story on its onset, but just read the NYT piece on this guy. Apparently, it’s really not clear where he got all his money from, either – just a year or so ago, He was a former call center employee and was being evicted for not paying his rent, and now he’s lending his campaign $700,000? Where did the money come from? He has all the qualities necessary to Trump’s running mate.

Where was the extensive background check? I would be fired on the spot for lying and fabricating on my resume. Where was the Dems opposition research? Was this such a solid R district the the Ds didn’t even put up a fight? It really was political malpractice on their part. Everything the NYT uncovered was easily discoverable with a few phone calls.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Haven't followed this story on its onset, but just read the NYT piece on this guy. Apparently, it’s really not clear where he got all his money from, either – just a year or so ago, He was a former call center employee and was being evicted for not paying his rent, and now he’s lending his campaign $700,000? Where did the money come from? He has all the qualities necessary to Trump’s running mate.

Where was the extensive background check? I would be fired on the spot for lying on my resume. Where was the Dems opposition research? Was this such a solid R district the the Ds didn’t even put up a fight? It really was political malpractice on their part. Everything the NYT uncovered was easily discoverable with a few phone calls.
While his lies about...well...every other aspect of his life are very concerning and should be disqualifying by far the most relevant point from a governance perspective is where all this money suddenly appeared from. It COULD be legitimate but considering his evasiveness on the issue and his overall shadiness it's a huge red flag.

His district is D+10, it is not at all a red district. Basically seems to have won the seat due to Hochul's statewide weakness.

EDIT: if he did resign and there was a special election it is highly likely to go blue again, which is why Republicans will do anything they can to keep him from resigning.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Well Donald Trump previously set a precedent for the Repubs that they can internally defend and justify Santos' win: Trump lied his ass off before, during and after he won his presidency, therefore why should Santos be penalized for his prodigious use of lies when Trump's unrestrained use of tall tales was actually being hailed as his being a clever strategist from utilizing his own daily/hourly use of same? In their minds all's fair in love, war and politics so what's the problem here? What's of priority to them is that those lies of Santos' allowed him/them to get one over on the Libs and that's all that really matters.

And of course the Repubs will play the both sides card sooner or later in Santos' defense. Probably sanction his ass like they did with Marg Greene because keeping his floor vote intact is after all, the most important thing.