Newegg Refurbs

mdcrab

Platinum Member
Feb 9, 2001
I purchase an IBM refurb HD from Newegg awhile back. It came DOA.
Newegg said I would have to send it back to IBM, which I did. It took another two weeks to get a replacement. Never had any problem w/ the replacement, which also was a refurb. Not sure if I would go thru same thing again though.

mdcrab

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Originally posted by: mdcrab
Newegg said I would have to send it back to IBM, which I did. It took another two weeks to get a replacement. Never had any problem w/ the replacement, which also was a refurb. Not sure if I would go thru same thing again though.

mdcrab

Interesting. That means either one of two things - Newegg takes in customer returns and sells/ships them right back out again as "refurbs", or IBM ships out RMA'ed HDs as DOA. Pick one. Neither outcome is good.

Did the HD you got from Newegg, originally (the DOA one), have any sort of markings on it, from IBM, indicating that they had refurbished/inspected it? Or did it look more like possibly a customer return?

xenolith

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2000
Originally posted by: VirtualLarry
Originally posted by: mdcrab

mdcrab

Interesting. That means either one of two things - Newegg takes in customer returns and sells/ships them right back out again as "refurbs", or IBM ships out RMA'ed HDs as DOA. Pick one. Neither outcome is good.

Did the HD you got from Newegg, originally (the DOA one), have any sort of markings on it, from IBM, indicating that they had refurbished/inspected it? Or did it look more like possibly a customer return?

It's been stated a million times here, and it clearly states @ newegg when you buy/checkout a refurb:

"Newegg.com does not test any product, including refurbished items. Refurbished items therefore are only tested by the original manufacturer. Due to varying qualities between manufacturers, YOU ARE TAKING A RISK BUYING REFURBISHED PRODUCTS."

That means when he got it DOA from newegg, it was IBM's fault.

VaG

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2001

#1 is correct. No cookie though, because it took you two guesses.

xenolith

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2000
Originally posted by: VaG

#1 is correct. No cookie though, because it took you two guesses.

Vag, do you have any (non-anecdotal) proof - "Newegg takes in customer returns and sells/ships them right back out again as refurbs?"

kuhurdler

Mar 17, 2003
"Newegg.com does not test any product, including refurbished items. Refurbished components are therefore only tested by the original manufacturer. Due to the varying quality of manufacturer testing, YOU ARE TAKING A RISK BUYING REFURBISHED PRODUCTS. Refurbished items are OPEN BOX products that contain components that have previously been owned by other clients and returned to Newegg.com. These products are sold considerably under cost. "... from www.newegg.com/app/ClearSelect.asp?type=Refurbish