Info Newegg has new policies that treat customers like crap

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
As I said, 1) I have spent over 100,000 there. That should make me a loyal customer 2) BEFORE (several times) when a price dropped while the merchandise was in transit or like 1 day after, they gave me a credit that could use on future purchases.

NOT ANYMORE.
Yeah, but you weren't screwed, you got the product you wanted at the price you initially agreed to, which presumably you felt was an acceptable price.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Voting with our wallets is the only power we have against these companies. If they can't throw their good customers a bone every now and then then to heck with them.

Reactions: Markfw

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Voting with our wallets is the only power we have against these companies. If they can't throw their good customers a bone every now and then then to heck with them.
And thats exactly what I will do. As someone else said, use the search engine, and once I have the product, search for the cheapest place to buy it. It used to be I would spend a few bucks more and always go there, as it was easy, but they just lost a lot of money for cheaping out on $20. I still have $600 waiting to come from newegg that is not here yet.

Just like Creative labs. When they denied my $20 rebate many years ago because the fine print said "the entire box top" (not just the UPN code). It would have taken me $5 to ship that entire box top. Have not spent a dime with creative in like 20 years.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
As I said, 1) I have spent over 100,000 there. That should make me a loyal customer 2) BEFORE (several times) when a price dropped while the merchandise was in transit or like 1 day after, they gave me a credit that could use on future purchases.

NOT ANYMORE.

Business account?

They haven’t been ’newegg’ in a while. I stopped using them when shipping took forever and it was a challenge to figure out who the seller was.

I just started using B&H Photo. Their tech support has been great so far, shipping fast and they have this card that credits the sales tax back to my purchase... somehow. Prices have been competitive. Newegg still wins for being able to sort products easily though.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
The manager was dumb for not looking at account relationship but places like Amazon have stopped issuing credit for price drops. Some credit cards offer price protection against lower prices but I think lot of cards have cut or removed the price match benefit.

Newegg of today is not Newegg of old but that’s true of lot of retailers.

I hate to say it, but I mostly order my computer parts off Amazon these days (or eBay, even). Used to use TigerDirect all the time, then Newegg, but Amazon's fast shipping, competitive prices, and great return policy has made me select them as my go-to ordering. Plus I can support @Ns1 "Queens Best Stumpy Dog Rescue" charity setup through the Smile service, haha!

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Business account?

They haven’t been ’newegg’ in a while. I stopped using them when shipping took forever and it was a challenge to figure out who the seller was.

I just started using B&H Photo. Their tech support has been great so far, shipping fast and they have this card that credits the sales tax back to my purchase... somehow. Prices have been competitive. Newegg still wins for being able to sort products easily though.

Yeah, Newegg has amazing sorting abilities! Amazon could stand to learn a thing or two from them, lol.

I use BH Photo quite often. Sometimes they oddly have really good deals on computers & whatnot. Provantage is one of my random vendors as well, once in awhile they'll just have amazing prices on things. I just bought a 50-pack of mini computers for a client from them & they were literally hundreds of dollars cheaper per unit (and was an item I couldn't find a good bulk discount on)...ended up saving like $15k.

Prefer Amazon tho...shows up quick, no-hassle returns...unless the price is really that much better somewhere else, I usually default to them now.

Nov 17, 2019
I make sure I select Sold By NE only, no sellers.. I've received some things in less than 2 days. I just don't order a whole lot of tech stuff any more.

Reactions: daveybrat

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
I use B&H a lot for my work hardware needs, but I've started using them at home as well. Their shipments are always 2 day delivery and the pricing is competitive. I've got computer hardware, TVs, and studio monitors for home. Otherwise, unless it's some specialty product, I use Amazon for everything.

Reactions: daveybrat

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
It does suck when something goes on sale right after you bought it, but not really much you can do about it, it's just a shitty timing situation. If the store is going to make an item go on sale it has to start at some point and chances are the item got purchased recently by someone.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

NOT ANYMORE.

Maybe just the rep you dealt with. They adjusted a pice for me earlier in the year when the NVMe drive I bought went on sale.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
I never venture into this forum, but I am so pissed, and there is no other appropriate place to post.

So, first, I have spent over $100,000 at newegg over the last 17 years. When I called before, they treated me nice like and if I had a valid complaint, they would satisfy me.

Example: I bought something and before it even hits my door, the price drops. They used to give me a credit on my account for the difference.

Today I got a case. I paid $80 for it. Today, it showed up on my door, and the price dropped to $60. I have not even opened the box yet. I pointed all of this out the a MANAGER at newegg, since the regular girl just said "return it and reorder, but you have to pay a 15% restocking fee". Well, there goes my $20. So they want to screw a lifetime customer that has spent $100,000 with them over a $20 credit.

Up theirs. No more newegg. Everyone that reads this beware, they have new management that does not care about the customer.
What if Newegg has the lowest overall price? Are you going to spend more elsewhere just to spite them? I bought about 80% of my current desktop from Newegg because they had the lowest overall price on those particular components. Lowest price wins my business every time, as long as the retailer isn't shady.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I find stuff like this facinating from an anthropological standpoint where we engage with corporations on a trust and loyalty basis when they're really this diffuse concept that isn't capable of returning those things in a natural way.

Everything with corporations is transactional, you went to them to buy something for a reason (convenience, price, don't have to re-enter CC data) and they gave it to you. End of story as far as I can tell.

Just hope you didn't make some entry level CSR and bottom rung manager miserable in the process for the corporate entity not returning your loyalty and trust.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
What if Newegg has the lowest overall price? Are you going to spend more elsewhere just to spite them? I bought about 80% of my current desktop from Newegg because they had the lowest overall price on those particular components. Lowest price wins my business every time, as long as the retailer isn't shady.

-Certainly would be a bit ironic to spend more money to stick it to a Corp for not saving you money :p

Reactions: VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Maybe just the rep you dealt with. They adjusted a pice for me earlier in the year when the NVMe drive I bought went on sale.
First off, did the item in question have the "Price Match Guarantee" banner? If not, then arguably, you're not eligible for a refund, except through their little-publicized policy of granting discounts/price-adjustments on products that have been shipped, but have yet to be delivered.

If the product reached your door, and THEN the price went down, then yeah, you're outta luck, if it wasn't explicitly covered by the "Price Match Guarantee". At least, the way that I see it.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
VirtualLarry makes a good point. No policy change here folks.

Best guess is you didn't order an item that had the price matching guarantee. You sound like an entitled man-child who is butt hurt he didn't get his way. You would quit shopping with a vendor, whom who've done business with for 17 years, over something so silly? Then post on a forum trying to get people to stop purchasing from them? Lighten up snowflake. You purchased the item and was fine with the price when you did so.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I keep hearing this kind of stuff about Newegg but even my recent experiences have been positive for the most part. Perhaps I've just been lucky?
Same here. Their policy clearly states they only do exchanges on graphics cards. When I started a convo with the chat box, I opened by saying I was well aware of the policy. And that since the 5700xt was not ready for prime time, I would be more than happy with a store credit. They waived the policy, issued me the credit, and I bought a 2060 super with it.

Was in best buy a couple of weekends ago, and was surprised I could buy everything I needed for a PC build, even a case. And their prices were better than or the same as Newegg and Amazon on what I wanted. The Corsair case dropped $20 last week, so I again hit them up on chat. Girl was funny and issued me a price match guarantee, changed my phone number to my new one, and did it all quickly. Best Buy looked great, the remodel is nice. I will be shopping local again because of the experience, and their return to PC hardware. Choices were limited for sure, but the stuff was all quality.

Sorry they boned you Mark. Seems like you cannot catch a break anymore. :( I hope you have a great Thanksgiving today.

Feb 4, 2009
Same here. Their policy clearly states they only do exchanges on graphics cards. When I started a convo with the chat box, I opened by saying I was well aware of the policy. And that since the 5700xt was not ready for prime time, I would be more than happy with a store credit. They waived the policy, issued me the credit, and I bought a 2060 super with it.

Was in best buy a couple of weekends ago, and was surprised I could buy everything I needed for a PC build, even a case. And their prices were better than or the same as Newegg and Amazon on what I wanted. The Corsair case dropped $20 last week, so I again hit them up on chat. Girl was funny and issued me a price match guarantee, changed my phone number to my new one, and did it all quickly. Best Buy looked great, the remodel is nice. I will be shopping local again because of the experience, and their return to PC hardware. Choices were limited for sure, but the stuff was all quality.

Sorry they boned you Mark. Seems like you cannot catch a break anymore. :( I hope you have a great Thanksgiving today.

I had a similar experience at bestbuy. Graphics card crapped out and I needed a fast replacement.
Surprisingly bestbuy was close to the cheapest for my 1060ti.
Some random online vendor was like $10 cheaper but needs to be shipped and it’s some random online vendor.
Best Buy has pretty good prices on ssd drives too just not a lot of choices.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
I stopped buying from newegg the day they tried to charge me a restocking fee on a defective item and I had to argue with them about it.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I was aware of their price match policy. IMO, it's not as bad as Amazon's policy.

However, what surprised me a few years ago was how many items they don't allow to be returned. It used to be CPUs, then they added video cards, and now most motherboards are non-returnable.......exchange for same model only. There are other items like power supplies on the exclusion list as well.

I guess this is what happens when some people buy $500 - $750 CPUs and then return them as "defective" over one core hitting 50 Mhz too low. Or people returning a $300 motherboard because they didn't plug in the EPS cable(not referring to you Mark).

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019
Was in best buy a couple of weekends ago,
Stumbled into Worst Lie once.

Once.

Vultures assaulted me at the door and wouldn't leave me alone despite my multiple sneers, growls and attempts to shake them off. Had to outright tell one to 'GO AWAY!!' that kept interrupting me while trying to read a package. I put it back, left and have never repeated the mistake of going there again.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
No one comes close to Newegg's huge variety of parts, and fast shipping, usually the same day. I'll keep using them as long as that's the case. Amazon never has everything I want for a build, and prices are usually higher. And if you don't have Prime, they'll take a week just to ship your order, and then use SmartPost delivery, or some other slow method.

I still use Amazon, if I'm not in a hurry, and the price is good. I have some Christmas gifts I ordered last Thursday, they still haven't shipped.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Stumbled into Worst Lie once.

Not sure how long ago that was, but it's not the experience I've had. People can hate on Best Buy as much as they want, but they will price match Amazon or other online retailers. So I've always picked up my hard drives same day from them and had them price match Amazon when they were on sale. I grab the item, no one bothers me and then I take it to check out. Show them the page/price and they adjust. Takes all of 5 minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAPUNISHER

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Yeah, Newegg has amazing sorting abilities! Amazon could stand to learn a thing or two from them, lol.

I use BH Photo quite often. Sometimes they oddly have really good deals on computers & whatnot. Provantage is one of my random vendors as well, once in awhile they'll just have amazing prices on things. I just bought a 50-pack of mini computers for a client from them & they were literally hundreds of dollars cheaper per unit (and was an item I couldn't find a good bulk discount on)...ended up saving like $15k.

Prefer Amazon tho...shows up quick, no-hassle returns...unless the price is really that much better somewhere else, I usually default to them now.

Yeah sorting is top notch there!

That's a ginormous savings!

So I just bought a 49" Samsung monitor from B&H and of course yesterday it went on sale after I already bought it and I emailed B&H and they credited me back the $250 difference! Hello new CPU :D