Newbie question: laptops and DSL

Sophia

Apr 26, 2001
Here's an easy one for you all.

Some friends of mine have a desktop hooked up to DSL (adapter card + external modem). It would be preferred if they could use their laptop with the DSL some, if not all, of the time. What type of equipment would one need to do that? The laptop could simply replace the desktop, or network with it, doesn't much matter (price matters more). Thanks.

pulpp

Platinum Member
May 14, 2001
you just need a PC CARD/PCMCIA NIC for the laptop, i seen some as low as 25 bucks online, then you set it up and hook it to the DSL modem just like you did with the desktop, or make a home network and share the connection between the two, to make a home network you will need either a cross cable or a router :)

Sophia

Apr 26, 2001
That's what I figured. Now what would be an efficient, inexpensive method for this next route, which is preferred?

When the laptop is at home, have it network with the home desktop for printer sharing, file backups, and perhaps a little internet sharing, albeit regular dial-up. Portable is good, so wireless could prove convenient.

When the laptop is at work, have it hook up to the store's DSL. It's not particularly important if it networks with the desktop there or not.

PELarson

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2001

<< That's what I figured. Now what would be an efficient, inexpensive method for this next route, which is preferred?

When the laptop is at home, have it network with the home desktop for printer sharing, file backups, and perhaps a little internet sharing, albeit regular dial-up. Portable is good, so wireless could prove convenient.
>>

A router with a 4-port switch for each location. Make sure both routers use the same private IP address subnets or in other words set both routers to a internal address of 192.168.0.1(external will be whatever the DSL folks provide) and setup DHCP on the laptop and desktops.

Shalmanese

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000
When at home, providing you only need to network with one computer, get a cross-over cable. much more convienient and portable than a hub. When at work just hook up to a local hub using a straight through cable. If you want, you can hook up your laptop to your desktop and set up internet connection sharing so your desktop can connect via modem or you could consider buying a Network/modem combo card and hook striaght on using your laptop