Newbie Question: AMD X2, Stock HSF, and Thermal Paste

Tango Charlie

Jan 20, 2006
Hello all, this is a simple question, but it's my first build and I'd rather not mess anything up.

I've just purchased an AMD X2 4200+. The instructions say to apply thermal paste between the heatspreader and the HSF. Except... there's already something on the HSF where it would contact the CPU. Can anyone tell me what this stuff is?
- Is it thermal paste, and I don't need to go get some?
- Is it something that's supposed to contact the thermal paste, so I need to get paste and put them in contact?
- Is it something else, perhaps a protective somethingorother that needs to be cleaned off before smush it onto some paste (which I'll neet to get)?

Thanks in advance for any help, the Anandtech forums have proved invaluable in helping me pick out parts for my system! Kudos to you all!

trexmgd

Jan 22, 2006
If you have the stock HSF (bought the boxed AMD), then the "stuff" you see on the bottom of the HSF is the thermal paste or "pad". You can use it or scrape it off and use your own, which may void the warranty.

PS usually there is a piece of tape over the pad that you remove first.

DetroitSportsFan

Oct 19, 2004
I know you already got your answer .... but some of us will swear by arctic silver. It has produced up to 10 C drops in temp over the stock pad in many cases. My Opteron 165 idles at around 33-34C and never breaks 40 under load with AS-5.

The choice is yours.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: DetroitSportsFan
I know you already got your answer .... but some of us will swear by arctic silver. It has produced up to 10 C drops in temp over the stock pad in many cases. My Opteron 165 idles at around 33-34C and never breaks 40 under load with AS-5.

The choice is yours.

I agree with this not only from a temp POV but the stock pad also tends to pull the chip out of the socket when removing the HSF, even for those who are careful and twist first. Most of the time this is ok but a few have bent their pins and this is bad. I have not experienced this with AS5 or any of the other high grade thermal pastes.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
That stuff underneath the heatsink is like a stamp, just lick it and apply! :p

Nooo, just kidding. :laugh: The new CPUs come with HSFs that have decent thermal paste on them - perhaps a thicker layer than most enthusiasts would apply. To make sure it is thermal paste and not a pad, touch a corner of it lightly with your finger. If some of it sticks to your finger, it is paste. If not, and it has a waxy texture, it is a pad. Paste - leave it alone and use it. Pad - scrape it off and use a thin layer of paste.

DetroitSportsFan

Oct 19, 2004
I have not experienced this with AS5 or any of the other high grade thermal pastes.

Just be sure you're buying thermal paste/grease ... not thermal glue. (Don't laugh, I've seen it happen) That thermal glue has been known to never let go in some instances.

imported_burningrave101

Jul 28, 2004
Unless your going with an aftermarket cooler then you dont need to even bother with anything other then the stock thermal pad that is on the heatsink now. If your not overclocking it will be more then adequate. If your going to get an aftermarket cooler and thermal paste i would suggest Arctic Ceramique. Its cheaper then AS5, is easier to remove, and provides the same heat transfer potential as AS5 if not a little better. Tests show that most all thermal pastes produce nearly the same results. The last tests i saw showed the Arctic Ceramique with temps 1C better then the AS5.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: burningrave101
Tests show that most all thermal pastes produce nearly the same results.

QFT. The real difference between the cheapest free thermal paste blister pack that comes with a HSF and the "best" Arctic Silver 5 is probably only a degree or two. Most people who magically see a much lower temperature from using AS5 probably got that because along the way they cleaned their HSF of dust and put a proper thin layer of paste.

I personally have a large tube of Arctic Alumina. Cost about $5 and I've used it literally a fifty times and still have more.

imported_burningrave101

Jul 28, 2004
At SVC the cost of a 3.5 gram tube of AS5 is $5.99. A 22 gram tube of Ceramique is $7.99. For $2 more your getting over 6x the amount of thermal compound.

stevty2889

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2003
The stock heatsink for the 4200+ is pretty decent. I am using the stock heatsink and thermal pad with my 4200+ and it's running at 2.618ghz, 1.475v, and max load of 51c.