Newb vcard modding

INemtsev

Jul 24, 2003
:DHello guys...I am modding for the first time....I got a Saphire Radeon 9800 Pro 256 DDRII, and I got few questions
1. I wanna take off the shrimpy heatsink-fan off of it...how do u take it off?
2. Is it possible to put a cpu fan on this card anyway?
3. What is voltage modding....how u do it?

DerwenArtos12

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
ok for starters the is the hsf round? if it is then you should locate the the pins that go through the motherboard and just pop it off basically.

no a cpu hsf will not fit however, there are special hsf's for videocards. if you have the round saphire hsf it really isn't necessary at all buti would suggest getting some heatsinks on the ram. you can do all this with the Iceburg4 pro or not pro kits they are great from what i can tell.

and if you are a complete newb i would not experiment with voltage modding on such and expensive card.

MDE

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
First of all I'd try to return the card and get a 128MB version. 256 is a waste of money right now. Second, I wouldn't worry about the heatsink, if you're a n00b, just leave the thing alone, and especially no voltage modding on an expensive toy like that. I haven't even done any soldering/voltage mods on anything. Take your time and proceed cautiosly and you'll end up much happier than if you blindly go into things.

bjc112

Lifer
Dec 23, 2000
I don't know if i would go as far as returning it now, but i wouldn't go into modding the HSF and what not...

Your warranty will be voided and if something drastic happened that would be a hell of a hit on a $450 card.

Ecliptic

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2000
if the heatsink is epoxied on, stick a flathead screwdriver under the heatsink and twist. it should pop right out. be carefull not to damage the card, I would suggest putting something between the screwdriver and PCB.

MDE

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I'd suggest not even trying this. You're a newb, stick to newb mods that won't leave you crying or worse, without a computer.

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
I think the best way to remove epoxied on heatsinks is to stick the whole vid card in a big ziplock bag then put the whole thing in the freezer for like 15 minutes
this will make the epoxy very brittle and the heatsinks should snap off easier

good luck

pelikan

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2002
I use CPU hsf's on all my video cards. You just have to drill a couple holes in the heatsink. That way you have good enough cooling for volt mods. Here's a link to Overclocker's video card modding gallery.