New York Woman Loses Arm After Attack By Caged Bear

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
WEEDSPORT, N.Y. -- A woman lost part of her arm when she reached into the cage of two Chinese Himalayan bears.

Brooke Bessette, 22, was able to free herself after being grabbed by one of the bears Sunday, but suffered severe injuries to her lower arm, Cayuga County Sheriff Robert Outhouse said.

Her arm was amputated below the elbow. She was in good condition Monday at a Syracuse-area hospital.

The attack took place at a "private zoo," the Cayuga County sheriff's office said. Authorities were looking into possible trespassing charges.

Authorities did not say who owned the zoo.

The state Environmental Conservation Department also was investigating whether the owner of the bears holds the proper permits for the exotic animals, Outhouse said.

Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

• Wow
Reactions: whm1974

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Well, what did she think was going to happen? THe bear was going to lick her hand and let her pet it?

It's a fvcking bear! When people see bears, the first thought that flashes through their mind is, "I bet they look funny when they hump." The second thoughts is, "That fvcker will bite my arm off!"

Reactions: IronWing

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
They should put the bear on the little unicycle as punishment. With a little hat. Playing the funny circus song.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: isekii
bwhaha

maybe she tried to feed it.

She was successful, too.

Reminds me of the old Gallagher quip:
EVERY fan is a safety fan. If you stick your finger in it, you won't keep it there for long!

PanzerIV

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2002
Another moron that thinks all animals are friendly and cuddly creatures like her stuffed Teddy Bears on her bed or cartoons she watched.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
$5 says she stuck it in his food slot.

Viper GTS
$5 says the bear stuck the arm in his tray to eat later. ;)

toant103

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Nebor
Well, what did she think was going to happen? THe bear was going to lick her hand and let her pet it?

It's a fvcking bear! When people see bears, the first thought that flashes through their mind is, "I bet they look funny when they hump." The second thoughts is, "That fvcker will bite my arm off!"

hahaha

ggavinmoss

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2001
I like the way you quote the AP copyright information telling you not to redistribute the article. Nice! :)

-geoff

ratatata

Jan 11, 2020

bruh this is my uncles bear the lady who got her arm ripped off broke in, noone was home and now he has security there, went to his place last week LMAO

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
bruh this is my uncles bear the lady who got her arm ripped off broke in, noone was home and now he has security there, went to his place last week LMAO

wow...almost 16 year necro. This is two similar necros in the last week or two.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Necros generate 30% of the traffic now. If not for those, we could just make up an email list, and have the new content sent once a week. Could read it all before work while having coffee.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
It's old but funny.

"Outhouse investigates zoo"
"Outhouse after escaped serial killer in high speed chase, live helicopter coverage"

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Stupid will be stupid. Amazing enough it is not the folks who have lower IQ whom you expect to be doing these things, but people who should know better doing this.

There is a good reason why those who live in bear country own high powered firearms and keep them in reach. Which is also why folks in Alaska carry magnum level handguns as well.

Bears will you you if given the chance.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I bet the bear will you you you before it you yous me, if given the chance.

Well that is why you always have another person with to use as bait. So if I miss I only have to run faster then then the other guy behind me and the not the bear. The same applies to mountain lions as well.