NEW YORK - Three senior fire officials reassigned

SilthDraeth

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2003
I failed at reading comprehension and initially thought that they had resigned. But in fact they were reassigned, though they where still stripped of their command.

You mean to tell me, that someone in a position of authority was actually held accountable for their decisions and failure to do their job? Don't get me wrong, I respect all firefighters, and them being held accountable for a failure ups my respect. If only this applied to most police forces.

NEW YORK - Three senior fire officials responsible for inspecting the condemned skyscraper where two firefighters died were stripped of their commands and reassigned Monday, and the Fire Department ordered intensive inspections of buildings under demolition.
ADVERTISEMENT

Mayor Michael Bloomberg also announced that a preliminary investigation indicated that careless smoking by construction workers started the deadly Aug. 18 fire at the former Deutsche Bank building, which was heavily damaged in the Sept. 11 attacks and was being dismantled and cleaned of toxic debris floor by floor.

Two firefighters died of cardiac arrest while trying to battle that blaze.

After the fire, the department acknowledged that it did not have a plan in place to fight fire at the tower and that it had not inspected the building's standpipe system, which connects fire hoses to its water supply, in over a year, even though it should have done so every 15 days. Inspectors found pieces of the standpipe disconnected in the tower's basement.

Commissioner Nicholas Scoppetta on Monday ordered deputy chiefs to inspect all buildings in their divisions that are under construction or demolition and to review all plans to fight fires at every building in their area.

Scoppetta also said that a deputy chief, a battalion chief and a captain at the firehouse in charge of inspections at the tower were being reassigned to headquarters.

Bloomberg said the department failed to properly inspect the building, which he called "not excusable."

"I'm not interested in fingerpointing," he said. "I simply want to fix what is broken and that's why we've spent a lot of time over the last 10 days trying to account for those failures."

The reassigned deputy chief had received a memo more than two years earlier that included recommendations for how to fight a fire in the contaminated skyscraper, the New York Post reported Monday. The memo recommended that if a fire broke out, just one officer and two firefighters should go into the building to investigate and evaluate the situation.

Instead, more than 100 FDNY members rushed in to battle the flames. Killed were firefighters Robert Beddia, 53, and Joseph Graffagnino, 33.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
ummm, it says "reassigned," not "resigned"... just letting you know so that you can change your thread title.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: SilthDraeth
The memo recommended that if a fire broke out, just one officer and two firefighters should go into the building to investigate and evaluate the situation.

Instead, more than 100 FDNY members rushed in to battle the flames.

Killed were firefighters Robert Beddia, 53, and Joseph Graffagnino, 33.

I was in the Fire Dept for 8 years. I never understood the need to go so gun ho into abandoned buildings like they do.

Even my Engine Company did.

I had to pull the Chief out one time because he wouldn't even wear a mask.

Bizarre.

SilthDraeth

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2003
Originally posted by: palehorse74
ummm, it says "reassigned," not "resigned"... just letting you know so that you can change your thread title.

Damn... reading comprehension ftl. I will edit my title.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
The memo recommended that if a fire broke out, just one officer and two firefighters should go into the building to investigate and evaluate the situation.

I was in the Fire Dept for 8 years. I never understood the need to go so gun ho into abandoned buildings like they do.

Bizarre.

Add it to the list!

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

I think "reassigned" is doublespeak for "we want to fire this guy but don't want to piss off the fireman coalition, so let's bench him."

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: jman19
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

Bizarre.

Add it to the list!

See, you had no idea I was a Fireman in New York for 8 years did you?

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: loki8481

I think "reassigned" is doublespeak for "we want to fire this guy but don't want to piss off the fireman coalition, so let's bench him."
you're probably right.