News New York City Mayor Bill DeBlasio is planning to ban glass and steel skyscrapers in the city.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
The mayor of New York City is planning to ban skyscrapers in the city that are made from glass or steel, with the reason being that they are the major cause of the city's carbon emissions. The mayor is claiming that this large amounts of emissions would have been a lot less if they were either built from masonry, cement, or brick. The mayor is also stating that many items that have been skyscrapers constructed from glass, "that were built as “monuments to wealth” should “have no place in our city or on our Earth anymore.” "(Associated Press. “De Blasio Vows to Ban Glass and Steel Skyscrapers in NYC.” De Blasio Vows to Ban Glass and Steel Skyscrapers in NYC, 25 Apr. 2019, pix11.com/2019/04/25/de-blasio-vows-to-ban-glass-and-steel-skyscrapers-in-nyc/.).

According to another news article, this is part of the mayor's "Green New Deal", plan that will lay the way for a greener New York City.

However, according to the New York Times, this new so called ban may allow glass or steel buildings as long as they abide by any energy efficiency, or any eco-friendly requirements. Thus this means that, "New York City may require more eco-friendly building materials".(Mays, Jeffery C. “De Blasio’s ‘Ban’ on Glass and Steel Skyscrapers Isn’t a Ban at All.” New York Times, www.nytimes.com/2019/04/25/nyregion/glass-skyscraper-ban-nyc.html.)

The following are a links to other news articles about this news. :
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/news/de-blasio’s-‘glass-skyscraper-ban’-explained/ar-BBWfDeL
https://ny.curbed.com/2019/4/24/18514203/nyc-bill-de-blasio-glass-skyscraper-ban
https://www.oann.com/nyc-mayor-de-blasio-proposes-bill-banning-glass-and-steel-buildings/
https://archpaper.com/2019/04/de-blasio-new-green-deal-nyc-cracks-glass-towers/
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattv...rs-which-means-new-york-city-is-canc-n2545136

Edit: Forgot to say that I like seeing large glass buildings in my city. So I am against the ban, if it were to mean that all types of glasses buildings are banned.

Moved from OT.

Perknose
Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i fail to see why a glass building emits more CO2 than a concrete one and i would be interested in knowing more.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I'd vote for him to be life term emperor if he got rid of ugly glass cubes.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
The Op has none of his own commentary on the subject??
there is nothing to discuss if we don`t know where the Op stands on the subject!

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
i fail to see why a glass building emits more CO2 than a concrete one and i would be interested in knowing more.
Yeah seems a little far fetched to me. Only thing I can think of is that the building is on a grid which gets most or all of it's power from coal burning sources. If the building leaks heat via large glass windows then it will need to use more electricity, ultimately meaning more fossil fuels burned to create it and leading to higher C02 emissions from that plant.

However, if that grid had renewables feeding it... then it's not as big of a deal.

Plus, I was just in Toronto a few months ago where it's obviously cold as balls for like 5-6 months of the year and they are actively building more "modern" looking glass structures all over the place. Renewable energy sources + efficient pane glass = probably not much of an issue.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Pretty sure wrong forum and you need to add commentary. Not just copy/paste sections from the article.

ctbaars

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
NYT had a good article on this:
“Everyone is trying to figure out what the mayor meant,” said Adam Roberts, director of policy for the American Institute of Architects New York. “We just hope that the mayor misspoke.”

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
NYT had a good article on this:
“Everyone is trying to figure out what the mayor meant,” said Adam Roberts, director of policy for the American Institute of Architects New York. “We just hope that the mayor misspoke.”
His mouth was open.....

Reactions: Amol S.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
If it's mostly about energy loss from those materials, modern design to those structures can pretty much eliminate those issues, using the same materials--a second heat/cold trap space between the interior glass and an exterior "shell," UV reflective/trapping window treatments, central open-air ventilation shafts that effectively act as natural cooling systems (hell, the Romans were doing this--granted, I don't know how effective that is on very tall buildings, if it is a structural integrity issue).

Seems like it would be seen as more of a push to enforce specific design parameters when using those materials. I mean, there is simply no way you are going to make a skyscraper without, at least, a steel structure.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Pretty sure wrong forum and you need to add commentary. Not just copy/paste sections from the article.
Sorry. Forgot to say that I like seeing large glass buildings in my city. So I am against the ban, if it were to mean that all types of glasses buildings are banned.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Interesting..

New York City is not going to “ban” glass and steel skyscrapers, but you wouldn’t know it from sound bites from the mayor this week. On Monday, Mayor Bill de Blasio repeatedly made it sound as if he’s poised to do just that, promptingmultipleheadlinesand a New York Postcover along those lines, as well as a lighthearted-but-denunciatory Fox & Friendssegment.

“We are going to ban the classic glass and steel skyscrapers, which are incredibly inefficient, the mayor said Monday morning on MSNBC’s Morning Joe, a setting he’s used previously to address a national political audience.

So what's the problem??

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
The mayor of New York City is planning to ban skyscrapers in the city that are made from glass or steel, with the reason being that they are the major cause of the city's carbon emissions

Nope, nope, nope. The headlines are sensational, not accurate.

"De Blasio’s aides were quick to point out that the administration wasn’t banning glass as a facade material outright, but that they would be imposing much rigid standards on performance or allowing developers to purchase carbon offsets instead. Mark Chambers, the city’s sustainability director, touted SHoP’s American Copper Building for its smart use of high-performance glass.
The reason I’m saying ban is to emphasize the point that if a company came in, a landlord came in with the exact same kind of design that they’ve come in with in too many cases in the last—just few years, it will be rejected and they would not be allowed to build, period. That’s why I say it’s a ban. You literally will not be physically allowed to build the kinds of buildings that have gone up even recently in this town. Now, you know, there’s good examples and Mark pointed out the Copper Building, the buildings that Cornell-Technion are built to much higher standards which is a good example that you can have, you know, a modern skyscraper that works. But honestly even some of the recent ones built in this city don’t meet appropriate standards and those will no longer be allowed.”

Reactions: Aegeon

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
BDB sticks his dumb foot (as usual) in mouth and comments are blown way out of proportion.

The city is going to require buildings to be more energy efficient but still be agnostic on materials.

Reactions: Paladin3

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Sounds like nomenclature/grammatical confusion. His statement was 'we're going to ban classic glass and steel skyscrapers', which was intepreted as 'glass and steel is a classical design, and we're banning that' rather than 'there's classical designs and modern designs for glass and steel skyscrapers, we're banning the classical designs'.

Reactions: Aegeon

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
If it's mostly about energy loss from those materials, modern design to those structures can pretty much eliminate those issues, using the same materials--a second heat/cold trap space between the interior glass and an exterior "shell," UV reflective/trapping window treatments, central open-air ventilation shafts that effectively act as natural cooling systems (hell, the Romans were doing this--granted, I don't know how effective that is on very tall buildings, if it is a structural integrity issue).

Seems like it would be seen as more of a push to enforce specific design parameters when using those materials. I mean, there is simply no way you are going to make a skyscraper without, at least, a steel structure.
I don't know if it was on Megastructures or some Discovery Channel show like it but someone made a statement that that's no longer true with the new buildings in Indonesia and Dubai. They're using reinforced concrete for the most part.

EDIT: But that results in new problems like it's frickin heavy and the foundations get complex.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Mayor made a Trump level stupid statement that should be ridiculed. However it's important to put this in the context that everyone says stupid stuff from time to time and the actual source of Trump level stupid statements says 20 things as dumb before breakfast every day.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I’d imagine plenty of LEED Silver/Gold buildings are made with glass and steel. Not sure how you’d ban that in NYC, as you’d effectively be limiting the height of new towers, and NYC needs to build vertically up.

I’d leave it up to the architects to figure out how best to accomplish energy savings.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Mayor made a Trump level stupid statement that should be ridiculed. However it's important to put this in the context that everyone says stupid stuff from time to time and the actual source of Trump level stupid statements says 20 things as dumb before breakfast every day.

De Blasio does a lot of stupid shit on the governance end too. (see: east river ferries, streetcar) Still, nobody's out Trumping Trump when it comes to saying stupid things.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
IT'S A CRIME THAT THESE SKYSCRAPERS built in the 80s and 90s when nobody had any concept of ecology WASTE ENERGY THROUGH DIFFUSION IN WHAT MATERIALS WERE AT THE TIME CONSIDERED THE PINNACLE OF TECHNOLOGY AND WITHOUT WHICH CONSTRUCTION WOULD NOT BE WHERE IT IS TODAY ALLOWING ME TO MAKE THESE STATEMENTS!!

@zinfamous accurate ?