New year, old question (getting started with BOINC)

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
OK, i admit it... I've never gotten around to creating a BOINC account. :oops:

Being an old SETI guy, i seem to remember something about when you first created your BOINC SETI account you needed to use the same email address as your regular SETI account. Something about your old SETI stats being tied to your BOINC SETI stats.
I'm i correct in recalling that?

So anyways... with the what, mid 1990's upon us here in western PA i have a chance at finally having DSL available here, so i may be changing ISP's... & email addresses.

So i guess i need to download & install the latest version from here & then enter the URL below to start my BOINC SETI account?
Code:
http://setiathome.berkeley.edu

Anything else?

Oh yeah, once i get this created i can then change my email associated with it?

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
So i guess i need to download & install the latest version from here
Correct.
then enter the URL below to start my BOINC SETI account?
You can just select SETI@Home from the list. Most of the major BOINC projects are listed.
Oh yeah, once i get this created i can then change my email associated with it?
Sure! I've changed my Collatz account back and forth between my PrimeGrid-associated email and the email I use on all my other accounts. (I like to get email from PrimeGrid, but I rarely want it from any other project.)

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
OK, i got an account now with SETI, but a few other questions.

How do i get the BOINC manager NOT to run on startup?

What the @!#* is with the 9 hours of initial downloading for??? :mad:
I had to let the manager connect to the internet to get my account going, then i see it's downloading something. I figured it was getting WUs. Then i look under Tasks & there's a long list of things trying to download & estimated time was 9+ hours.

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
OK, i got an account now with SETI, but a few other questions.

How do i get the BOINC manager NOT to run on startup?

go to the windows start menu and choose "run" and type msconfig & hit return.

click on the "startup" tab, find "BOINC" and uncheck box. It'll ask to restart computer but no need to.