New XCOM game

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
But it is an FPS and made by the Bioshock 2 team

http://kotaku.com/5516654/x+com-is-back

Guess they didn't get the memo that this was tried already with XCom Enforcer, and it sucked balls.

God damn it, why can't we get a reboot of a franchise that actually stays true to its roots.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
That might have worked as a Mass Effect or Fallout 3 style RPG that had FPS elements.

As a shooter, I expect this is going to be worthless.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I guess that for a bunch of developers out there making a first-person-shooter game means they're going to get more money since it reaches a wider audience, I really see no other logical reasons behind such a decision, to be honest I would have never expected XCOM to turn into a FPS game, it's disappointing. I hope they do a better job than they did with Bioshock 2 (I really preferred the original).

flashbacck

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2001
ugh. Another great franchise headed down the tubes. (or headed further down the tubes)

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
I'm not holding my breath here... But I'm not really expecting anything good. The last great X-com was Apocalypse for me anyway, so...

The title did give me hope for a strategy X-com game and it died when I clicked on the link... So it is somewhat misleading :p

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I guess they don't understand or relize we need the classic X-COM style of gamplay,I would settle for X-COM Interceptor type game in space which was ok.

I guess we just have to wait and see how bad or good it turns out,my expectations are not high however.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Sounds horrible, please don't make it into something like Fallout 3/ME/Bioshock

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
I guess that for a bunch of developers out there making a first-person-shooter game means they're going to get more money since it reaches a wider audience, I really see no other logical reasons behind such a decision, to be honest I would have never expected XCOM to turn into a FPS game, it's disappointing. I hope they do a better job than they did with Bioshock 2 (I really preferred the original).

But wouldn't it cost less to produce a strategy game?

Canun

Apr 1, 2006
In the PCGamer about two months ago, they had info in the rumor section. They stated that there will be two games: one a first-person shooter, and the second is rumored to be a reboot of the original. I still have my hopes up for a new X-com:UFO defense.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Yes, I had to post the thread like this, to share in the emotional change that I went through when I saw it as well :D

But, there is a glimmer of hope. A XCom clone is being made that has potential, being made by an indie dev.

http://www.xenonauts.com/

Looks interesting and is suppose to come out by the end of this year.

GaryJohnson

Jun 2, 2006
combining research and planning elements not with overhead, turn-based strategy sections, but with first-person shooter action.

This sounds great to me. The research and planning elements, IMHO, were really the best parts of the original X-COM games. I think the TBS part was really just there to give you a reason to do all that research and planning. If they sub it out with a squad-based, pause-issue orders-play style, gritty, tactical FPS/RPG hybrid I think the new game could be great.

Where they could really break it is if the research and planning sucks. I could see that happening if they try and suck all the deepness out of those parts of the game because they or the publisher perceives that's what needs to happen to make it console-friendly.

Edit:
But, there is a glimmer of hope. A XCom clone is being made that has potential, being made by an indie dev.

http://www.xenonauts.com/

Looks interesting and is suppose to come out by the end of this year.

That doesn't at all look intersting to me. There have been a lot of indie attempts at X-Com clones that have turned to vaporware. If you want a decent X-Com clone I'd go with Altar Games UFO:Afterxxxx series of games.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I've never played XCom, but I understand it is isometric, turn-based strategy?

this sounds nothing more than buy-in to a franchise, slap it onto generic, worthless FPS, predict name alone will sell xxx number of copies. small overhead, cheap production, cheap steam download, massive volume.

what a failure. Few people seem to care about quality anymore (whether it be film, games, music...food...). As long as they can sell plenty of it and maximize profit, move out and on to the next shoddy enterprise, these producers and designers will chug on ahead.

sad.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I've never played XCom, but I understand it is isometric, turn-based strategy?

this sounds nothing more than buy-in to a franchise, slap it onto generic, worthless FPS, predict name alone will sell xxx number of copies. small overhead, cheap production, cheap steam download, massive volume.

what a failure. Few people seem to care about quality anymore (whether it be film, games, music...food...). As long as they can sell plenty of it and maximize profit, move out and on to the next shoddy enterprise, these producers and designers will chug on ahead.

sad.

Yup, and the funniest part of it all is, XCom isn't a well known franchise outside of its fanbase. So it makes no sense whatsofuckingever to use the IP and change the game completely. They could have just called it Planetary Defense or something else and it would have served its purpose without pissing off the fanbase of the original games.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yup, and the funniest part of it all is, XCom isn't a well known franchise outside of its fanbase. So it makes no sense whatsofuckingever to use the IP and change the game completely. They could have just called it Planetary Defense or something else and it would have served its purpose without pissing off the fanbase of the original games.

yeah, weird. those style of games were, and probably remain my favorite type of PC game.

<--still waiting for update of Syndicate :(

Feb 4, 2009
I doubt this but it could be good if its something like boarderlands where others can join, so you could have some kind of strategic map and friends or other people could join the fights at crashed aliens.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
The only way I can see it working anyway half way decently is if it played like the original Rainbow Six games where you plotted out and commanded each team members movement and action.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
The only way I can see it working anyway half way decently is if it played like the original Rainbow Six games where you plotted out and commanded each team members movement and action.

Funny that you say that, because I miss that aspect of FPS.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
There's a game that had basebuilding and the ability to zoom out to order troops around and also go down into a FPS and command vehicles etc.

Battlezone and Battlezone II.

Amazing games that were a ton of fun, had a fun and good storyline and some great strategy.

If they went this route, fleshed out the command portion and strategy elements more than what Battlezone had, but allowed you to get right up into the fight and fight along side your guys as you issued orders it could work.

But I've yet to see anyone get what Battlezone originally did.