New wired multi-source multi-zone whole home audio system?

bajeffs

Jun 8, 2013
I have a whole home wired speaker system. I have 2 5.1 tv rooms (main floor/basement) and each has a Onkyo TX-NR616 receiver. Each 616 can power a 5.1 and zone 2, with a zone 3 available with an amp.

I have hard wired 9 zones with 2 spkrs each:
basement (2 zones/4 spkrs): toyrm, bedrm
main flr (6 zones/12 spkrs) : kitchen, play rm, formal rm, porch, deck, garage
2nd flr (1 zone/2 spkrs): mstr bedrm

The basement closet has all wires ran to it and the 616's Zone 1 runs a 5.1, blu ray player, XBox 360, DirecTV DVR. Zone 2 runs a manual 8 zone spkr selector.
The main floor 616 is only running a 5.1 and can be wired to run down to the closet to help run more zones.

What is the best and most practical way to set up multi-source listening in zones. Of course all of the zones will not be working at the same time and can be switched on and off. I would like to do as much as possible through an Android app. We also mostly use Pandora and Slacker.

What is the best way to do this using an amp, pre-amp, server, media streamer, or/and a receiver configuration?

richardycc

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
Huh? What is the problem again? Looks like all your zones are hooked up to one of the 2 receivers, so why are you looking for amp, preamp, etc? I don't like the manual selector, as you have to run down to basement to change zones. Are you looking for a Sonos like whole house solution?