New WiFi router connects, but won't allow Net access

Ultrafrigid

Oct 29, 2013
I just bought an EA6300 Linksys Cisco "Smart" WiFi router. I plugged it directly into the wall's Ethernet socket, turned it on, connected to it with my W7 laptop and the supplied password in the guide book. At 100% signal strength, the Internet icon affirmed I was 'connected to the Internet', yet every Internet service on my laptop is unavailable to me.

I skimmed over the book again and saw I was supposed to connect it directly to the modem, as opposed to the wall. I took it down to the basement and hooked it up. There's a solid green light and a flickering amber one below the router's occupied Ethernet port, if that means anything. I went back up to my laptop, connection now down to 75% strength, but although I'm connected to it again, it now reads I have no Internet access. It has five green bars on the Windows connection tray, so I assume 75% is still plenty enough.

The only other step I missed in the book was setting up the router with a personal account at linksyssmartwifi.com, but that requires that I access it via the router - which, as you can see, I can't.

Let's assume firewalls and the laptop's WiFi radio aren't the issue. (Trust me, I'm speaking from experience.) There were also no icons or indications I needed to install or set anything up.

I'm lost.

Last edited:

QuietDad

Dec 18, 2005
What is the router plugged into besides a power outlet? You have three connections you need to make. The power cord, a wireless connection to your laptop or a hard wire connection from your laptop to one of the four LAN ports on the back of the modem, AND you need a hard wired cable from the ONE wire WAN port on the back of the modem to your internet service provider. This will be a modem from the cable company or phone company.
The router by itself does not provide internet capabilities.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
The router by itself does not provide internet capabilities.

But... but... "Cloud Connect"! Doesn't it connect me to the internet "through the cloud"? I thought everything worked through the "cloud" these days?

Edit: Forgot the sarcasm tag. :p

Last edited:

Ultrafrigid

Oct 29, 2013
I meant the Ethernet port in the wall, which goes back to the same modem it's currently plugged directly into via Ethernet. From there it's broadcasting a wireless signal which my laptop's picked up and connected to.

I have Internet now because I'm on Ethernet, plugged into that same wall port the router was plugged into earlier when it had 100% strength and was 'Internet-ready' according to W7. A physical connection was established, but for whatever reason I wasn't able to use it wirelessly.

Edit: My bad, I didn't realize how ambiguous my original post was. o_o No, rest assured, I'm not that lost. lol

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Modem to router WAN port. When you change your config from one router to another, or from one PC to adding in a router, then a modem power cycle is required.

SecurityTheatre

Aug 14, 2011
It could have a problem with the WAN config. It may require DHCP on the WAN port, or you might need to set an IP...

How is your laptop configured? DHCP?

Do you have some Internet client software on the PC? If so, you may need to configure PPPoE on the Router.

Ultrafrigid

Oct 29, 2013
It could have a problem with the WAN config. It may require DHCP on the WAN port, or you might need to set an IP...

How is your laptop configured? DHCP?

Do you have some Internet client software on the PC? If so, you may need to configure PPPoE on the Router.

I know nothing about networking, so bear with me.

I ran an ipconfig /all and, if I interpret, the Ethernet and WiFi connections on my laptop currently both are DHCP "Yes".

I don't know what you mean by Internet client software, or PPPoE, or even how to configure the router. :confused:

Modem to router WAN port. When you change your config from one router to another, or from one PC to adding in a router, then a modem power cycle is required.

I'll give that one a try.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
who's your ISP?

To configure the router, look at the ipconfig /all output and look for the Default Gateway IP, put that IP into your browser and you'll get to the router administration interface.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
First, and most important read the Router's manual and learn how to configure the Linksys manually.

Then (0nce you know what you do) Reset and get rid of whatever linksyssmartwifi.com configured, or stored on your system.

Internet and Local Network consist on a Modem and a Router connected directly to the Modem through the WAN (Internet port). It it should be configured to fit the type of Internet that you have and its credentials (DSL, Cable, Wireless ISP, etc.)

You can not plug the Router somewhere to what ever plug in the house will accept it and hope that it will work.

Many Internet connections are based on a Modem/Router combo.

You have to know exactly what you have since it is a different configuration if you have a Modem/Router in one Box or a standalone Bridge Modem.

P.S. If you really want to do it corretly, the initial configuration of the Wireless Router should be to be done while it is connecting via network wire to a computer

:cool:

Last edited:

Ultrafrigid

Oct 29, 2013
who's your ISP?

To configure the router, look at the ipconfig /all output and look for the Default Gateway IP, put that IP into your browser and you'll get to the router administration interface.

I'm with Ntelos.

Okay, I just did this with the WiFi connection picked up by ipconfig and wound up with this URL:

http://linksyssmartwifi.com:52000/ui/dynamic/setup/welcome.html?target=192.168.1.1/

That looks like the chestnut. However, I tried it on three browsers and all of them report they can't connect to it. I also tried it with the other default gateway reported for the Ethernet connection to the laptop (it has both connections at the moment) and that came back the same way. :confused:

First, and most important read the Router's manual and learn how to configure the Linksys manually.

Then (0nce you know what you do) Reset and get rid of whatever linksyssmartwifi.com configured, or stored on your system.

Internet and Local Network consist on a Modem and a Router connected directly to the Modem through the WAN (Internet port). It it should be configured to fit the type of Internet that you have and its credentials (DSL, Cable, Wireless ISP, etc.)

You can not plug the Router somewhere to what ever plug in the house will accept it and hope that it will work.

Many Internet connections are based on a Modem/Router combo.

You have to know exactly what you have since it is a different configuration if you have a Modem/Router in one Box or a standalone Bridge Modem.

P.S. If you really want to do it corretly, the initial configuration of the Wireless Router should be to be done while it is connecting via network wire to a computer

The manual's literally nothing more than a two-page pamphlet just outlining how to connect an Ethernet cord to it and the linksyssmartwifi.com thing. That's it. :\ I didn't see anything else in the box. I think they assumed a bit too much.

I reset the modem, then when that didn't work, I reset via the reset button. That didn't work either. I also tried the refresh button - no luck. And there's nothing stored on the laptop itself; there was no installation medium which came with the router.

AFAIK I use cable. It's a brand new $130 intermediate-class gigabit-compatible router; there's no reason it wouldn't support cable, I think.

I figured it probably wouldn't work plugged into the wall after I glimpsed again at the instructions. They did say to plug it directly into the modem, which I corrected upon already, but I still have 'unusable access'.

I suspected there could be a conflict between the router and modem. I wouldn't know if there is. They're both Linksys, so I assume it's less likely a problem in this case.

And finally, I've had no way to configure it, other than what Windows has asked me. I set it to the 'Home' profile, same as every other connection I have saved on here. :/

Last edited:

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Please post the exact name and model of the Box that you call Modem.

Feb 26, 2013
Do you have any internet connection with the device connected? I mean hard lined. When I connect consumer level routers; I always hook the modem into the router and the router into a computer then power cycle the modem about 10 seconds usually does it. Usually the devices have a button for wireless but if not you may have to activate it through the devices gui. It usually displays as a website.