New VPN for router recommendation

fastman

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hello all,

I temporarily moved to Italy for three years for work and have been using a VPN router solution through WiTopia which has been meeting my needs for geo fencing purposes.

The main router is from my ISP and works well enough. The VPN router is an Asus RT-AC66U with a DD-WRT Buffalo build which I am used to. My main computer which is my gaming machine is connected directly to the router I need at that moment via a lan port. Everything else, Vonage Phone, Amazon FireTV, Roku, Netflix and smart TV's are WiFi.

The one year plan for the VPN has expired but I am still seen as being located in the U.S. Is this because of the U.S. DNS settings that I put in the router? Thus do I have a poor man smart DNS switch now? I assume the VPN encryption is no longer working as the VPN Hash/security keys are no longer valid as they did say I would have to place a new ones in the router when I renewed the lease, correct? The encryption factor isn't really a concern that I can think of just the geo fencing solution.

If I were to go with a different company I would like to keep the current Asus router solution! Would I just enter the new companies Hash and DNS settings if so?

TIA

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
DNS has nothing to do with your location. Your location is determined by your router or VPN's IP address, if interpreted/recorded correctly by GEO location databases.

If your VPN service has expired and you are not going through any VPN connection, you should get an IP address located in Italy. Don't know why your IP is still considered as U.S. address? Maybe WiTopia did not cancel your subscription?

Reactions: fastman

fastman

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, I thinking my VPN provider just put me in a slower queue to remind me to renew service.

My original post maybe wasn't clear but what I am looking for is a better VPN provider. The one I have now seems slow with a lot of overhead as I just got fiber and see it a lot more. One that can send me new VPN security credentials for my router as I don't want to pay again for a pre-configured router!

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
I believe most VPN providers have a guide to tell you how to enter their VPN setup info inside the router, if not using their software.

Chat with their tech support and you should be able to get help from them.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Well, you can host a OpenVPN server on the cloud or even at U.S. home if someone stays In the house and then connect to it using OpenVPN software.

Reactions: FaithMartin

techmanc

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2006
I dont know if this will solve the problem your having but I use a VPN myself and used to be annoyed having to put my whole PC on the VPN which caused a lot of problems especially using 3 email accts most with gmail I get alerts and they want me to verify if was me using my email plus other problems. Also there was slowdowns using VPN encrypted connection.

I saw my VPN PIA provided a proxy and was able to setup Utorrrent which was main reason for my VPN in the first place.

So now Utorrrent is running full speed and the rest of my PC is using my normal network so there are no longer email or other problems.

Reactions: FaithMartin

fastman

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I also have a VPN, how to configure the network so that only Utorrent uses the maximum speed, and other applications on the computer do not.
The VPN will slow all traffic down when using it as that is the nature of VPN encrypted traffic. If you have a managed switch and are savvy enough you can route Utorrent through the VPN and "other applications" unencrypted. The easy route would be to just use an A/B switch.