New video on Michael Brown case

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Alt-facts are relevant to con's.

pc-141130-rams-hands-up-jsw-01_e7486b9cc4ee89891c326ba9f65a45b4.nbcnews-fp-1200-800.jpg

handsupdontshoot.jpg

2014-10-11T173559Z_01_SHN604_RTRIDSP_3_USA-MISSOURI-SHOOTING.jpg

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
He was still a better person than literally anyone who has voted for a republican in the last 30 years.

I'm thinking my father in law was a better person, but then I knew him, not all Republicans, nor Democrats for that matter.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Who needs to paint a picture? He assaulted an officer and moved to do so again.
Maybe the auxiliary evidence was handled in such a way - it's beside the point.

#BLM wouldn't be disgraced if it actually moved for innocent people instead of hardened criminals.
That this case is their basis is deplorable, and the waste of an otherwise good cause against police violence.

Agree with you. Attacking a police officer and going for his weapon is a good way to get yourself killed. What troubled me was that the people who told the truth about the encounter did so at their own peril. In addition some people outright lied about the encounter (based on physical evidence collected at the scene and their own admission).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Michael_Brown

A number of the witnesses who corroborated Wilson's account of events expressed fear and apprehension in testifying, saying that they had been harassed or threatened by individuals from the Ferguson community.

Several witnesses who originally testified against Wilson were also interviewed by the prosecution. They admitted to lying under oath as to the truthfulness of their testimony.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Agree with you. Attacking a police officer and going for his weapon is a good way to get yourself killed. What troubled me was that the people who told the truth about the encounter did so at their own peril. In addition some people outright lied about the encounter (based on physical evidence collected at the scene and their own admission).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Michael_Brown

I have to say, "Wow" to you bshole. In the past you came off as someone that ignored the facts of a case for which you had a crusade for.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
are you actually defending this dirtbag?

Why is he dirtbag?
Because he traded weed for cigars?
Because he was forceful when he went to claim his part of the deal the next day? Should he have called the police to file a complaint that the store would not give him the goods he paid for the night before with a bag of weed?
I'd say he is a moron for not completing the transaction the night before and making assumptions that the staff the next day would be in on the deal.
Underground economies have their own complexities, whether is drugs, no tax, cash only transactions or whatever.

Is he a dirtbag for the confrontation with police after the incident? (I think so...)
Considering the issues with that department and the community some might disagree. Frustration in some communities with policing had led to fucked up dynamics. Where neither side is on the right side of the law.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Why is he dirtbag? Is he a dirtbag for the confrontation with police after the incident? (I think so...)
Considering the issues with that department and the community some might disagree. Frustration in some communities with policing had led to fucked up dynamics. Where neither side is on the right side of the law.

"Dirtbag" is irrelevant to the facts of the matter. There is no redeeming behavior on Brown's part, name calling isn't useful.

What we have determined is that some action caused Brown to be subject to confrontation by a police officer. Note we are discussing something between two individuals at the moment.

One side has contended that Brown was executed, another that Brown presented himself as a threat and the officer responded appropriately. Both can't be correct.

Fortunately we had Holder the AG come in and launch an investigation which would not be in the pocket of the police or state LEO. In examining the evidence the conclusion was reached that the officer's account was consistent with the facts and the other various statements were not. In other words there was no factual basis for action against the officer.

But you are correct, the department as a whole was found to be racist and that naturally does not sit well. With me at least nothing excuses the attacks against the officer based on belief of "what should have been" and a career ruined.

Getting back to Brown, the fact that there was a different explanation for his actions in the shop is wholly disconnected to his response when conducted by the officer.

It sucks, really sucks that things went down as they did, but there is no demon involved, just demonization.

Reactions: Jaskalas

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Why is he dirtbag?

1) Because he traded weed for cigars? Yes
2) Because he was forceful when he went to claim his part of the deal the next day? Yes
3) Is he a dirtbag for the confrontation with police after the incident? (I think so...) Attacking an officer, and going for his gun would make you a dirtbag anywhere

While the community had grievances with the department, propping Brown into a martyr while going on a rampage was a horrible way to get the attention they needed to fix their grievances.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
The amount of special pleading to defend someone who assaulted an officer is mind boggling.

Either the cigarillos were stolen from the store by the employees and promised to Brown, which is still theft on Brown's part, or they were legally owned by the store clerks yet Brown was still illegally traded drugs to attain them.

This is ridiculous.

“They destroyed Michael’s character with the tape, and they didn’t show us what actually happened,” said Mr. Pollock, who spent more than two years in Ferguson conducting research for his documentary, and who questions the decision to not charge Officer Wilson. “So this shows their intention to make him look bad. And shows suppression of evidence.”

How is showing him trading illegal drugs for merchandise improving his character and how does it exonerate him from assaulting a police officer?

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
I don't understand what this video is supposed to prove. People acting like its some sort of redemption? So he illegally traded weed for cigs the day before. Left them there. Came back the next day, and a different (?) clerk didn't give them to him so Brown assaulted him and took them anyways? If anything, it makes Brown look worse.

He was still a better person than literally anyone who has voted for a republican in the last 30 years.

Probably top 5 of worst posts I have every seen here, good job. The fact that you think a criminal, who committed several criminal acts in just the two days that we know about, is better than what is likely millions of other Americans is just so dumbfounding, I really hope you are joking.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
I don't see much in the way of salvation here either... apart from the boring and predictable passive aggressive racist remarks by the usual suspects posting here this changes very, very, very little...

Reactions: soundforbjt

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Probably top 5 of worst posts I have every seen here, good job. The fact that you think a criminal, who committed several criminal acts in just the two days that we know about, is better than what is likely millions of other Americans is just so dumbfounding, I really hope you are joking.
Anyone who has voted for Republicans is complicit in the tens of thousands of deaths their policies cause every year. So if you vote for Republicans you are directly complicit in the deaths of possibly millions (depending on how many times you've voted) who would otherwise be alive.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Anyone who has voted for Republicans is complicit in the tens of thousands of deaths their policies cause every year. So if you vote for Republicans you are directly complicit in the deaths of possibly millions (depending on how many times you've voted) who would otherwise be alive.

So no Democratic policies or a Democrat has never been responsible for any deaths? If that's your stance, I'm sorry to tell you it's not based in reality or facts. You think Brown is better than anyone who voted Republican in the last 30 years, that's really just mind boggling. Someone who in just the two days know about, committed multiple assaults on people, among other crimes. But by your "logic" someone who has never assaulted anyone, been involved in a drug deal, stolen anything from a store, or other crimes along those lines is worse than Brown because they voted Republican once? Wow. Can't ever take your posts seriously.

baydude

Sep 13, 2011
Shots fired at Ferguson market! if latest videos are edited I hope CNN is held accountable!

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Shots fired at Ferguson market! if latest videos are edited I hope CNN is held accountable!

We'll be sure to hold them accountable to the same standards you hold for your team. That is, not accountable at all.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011

I mean sure, but what about somebody who died from the stress of an additional tax? They don't matter right?

You think too concretely in these matters.

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
So no Democratic policies or a Democrat has never been responsible for any deaths? If that's your stance, I'm sorry to tell you it's not based in reality or facts. You think Brown is better than anyone who voted Republican in the last 30 years, that's really just mind boggling. Someone who in just the two days know about, committed multiple assaults on people, among other crimes. But by your "logic" someone who has never assaulted anyone, been involved in a drug deal, stolen anything from a store, or other crimes along those lines is worse than Brown because they voted Republican once? Wow. Can't ever take your posts seriously.

Meh, crime victims matter too.

If you look at Michael Pollack, he's basically another one of those annoying hipster guys who is basically looking for any cause to stir up crap. He's getting his fifteen minutes now and probably hopes to launch a career with this, become the next Michael Moore (who is getting old).

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Yeah what this really shows is that the Brown was an idiot and lacked any kind of patience or common sense, unless the owner assaulted was in on the drug deal. The good thing about criminals like Brown is that they're too stupid and impulsive to get away with anything, the bad thing is it makes them more prone to putting people in dangerous situations. Could have waited for the original cashiers to give him the cigars, could have not gone for the cop's gun, but instead he impulsively lashes out and ends up dead.

fwiw it does show yet another example of the war on drugs being a total failure, people trained into violence to operate in the drug trade and keep our assault and homicide rates high to ban something that has never directly killed anyone.

Reactions: pauldun170

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
"Dirtbag" is irrelevant to the facts of the matter. There is no redeeming behavior on Brown's part, name calling isn't useful.

What we have determined is that some action caused Brown to be subject to confrontation by a police officer. Note we are discussing something between two individuals at the moment.

One side has contended that Brown was executed, another that Brown presented himself as a threat and the officer responded appropriately. Both can't be correct.

Fortunately we had Holder the AG come in and launch an investigation which would not be in the pocket of the police or state LEO. In examining the evidence the conclusion was reached that the officer's account was consistent with the facts and the other various statements were not. In other words there was no factual basis for action against the officer.

But you are correct, the department as a whole was found to be racist and that naturally does not sit well. With me at least nothing excuses the attacks against the officer based on belief of "what should have been" and a career ruined.

Getting back to Brown, the fact that there was a different explanation for his actions in the shop is wholly disconnected to his response when conducted by the officer.

It sucks, really sucks that things went down as they did, but there is no demon involved, just demonization.

The basic reality of the department being racist is why those other various statements were seen to be credible. It would've surprised absolutely nobody if they turned out to be true, incl the racists.