New Video Cards and games

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Am I the only person who noticed that there really isn't a single game the takes advantage of all the new cards that have come out? We've been playing all these A+ titles for years at best.

Seriously, what's going on here?

undeclared

Oct 24, 2005
What's going on? Practicality.

When developers make a 2009 game, they strive for the best visuals as possible (unless not intended)

When publishers release a game, they strive to get the game to the most people playing (buying) their game as possible..

When CEOs want to release their game, and make the stockholders happy, they want to release it in the quickest way possible to make the most money..

Hence, they tell the engine developers to keep it simple :)

In different companies (eg ran by developers instead of CEOs) they do tend to care a lot more about technologies used and keeping it up to date..

Obviously visuals are the biggest selling point at this point -- however, they can accomplish that fine with DX9.

This is my 2 cents (from what I understand about the market anyway...)

Other things to consider:
- Games either succeed RIDICULOUSLY or fail immediately.. it's genuinely been like that for as long as I can remember..
- It may take a lot more budget to invest in or create an engine that supports DX10/DX11 rather than using what exists.. to no monetary benefit (people will buy the game anyway if it's good)

Last edited:

Zensal

Jan 18, 2005
I would tend to think that it is because of cross-platform compatibility. Very few developers make PC specific titles anymore hence the write their games for the lowest common denominator, i.e. 360/PS3.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Am I the only person who noticed that there really isn't a single game the takes advantage of all the new cards that have come out? We've been playing all these A+ titles for years at best.

Seriously, what's going on here?

Well consoles are what most developers target.

Hopefully PC gaming will make a comeback.

Last edited:

Kyanzes

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2005
That notwithstanding, new cards still perform better. There's always room for more processing power to facilitate a notch higher AA.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
most of us still cant play Crysis maxed on their computer.
over the years there have been a number of GPU-power pushing games. like Oblivion in 2006, and Crysis that replaced it as the de-facto extreme benchmark for power.
we are just entering the time in between as Crysis does become playable at max settings with the AMD HD5xxx cards.

you are right about the amount of games that really make your computer sweat.
thats why i usually buy video cards second hand a year (or two) after they're released, when games take more power to play nicely at 1600x1200 than my current card can give them.