CPU - Athlon 64- 3000
Ram - 1 GB
Video card - Asus Ati Rad A9600
PSU - Corsair HX 750W

new items will be

M.B. - Asus P8P67
CPU - Core i5 2500k chip
Ram - 8GB

My main use or the PC will be using Photoshop CS5 but would like to do a bit of gaming now and then. My PC at the moment just about does Half Life, lol, remember that?

My budget is only around £100, based in UK, so I guess $125-$150.
Would like a card without a fan if possible to keep the noise down, but with a fan as long as its not too noisy.

Thanks Paul

Last edited:

PJones

Apr 19, 2011
Thanks for the replies so far.

I've been out of touch with video cards over the past few years and reading up on them today gives me a headache :D

Wanting to use PS CS5 is leading me towards Nvidia cards for the CUDA tech.

Just read up on the GeForce GTX 550 Ti and it would appeaar that the GTX 460 1GB mentioned would be the better buy for gaming and CS5.

Here in the UK both these cards are around £125-£130 which is a bit more than I wanted to pay.

The GTS 450 looks promising, around my £100 mark. I'm easy to please as yourself when it comes to gaming, after all I still play Half Life, Duke Nukem3D and Doom. :whiste:

Looks like I either save a bit more over the next month, new build will take me a couple of weeks, or go for the GTS450.

Other options?

Paul
I

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
I have a GTS 450 and it is the quietest card I've ever had. If you check Anandtech reviews its one of the quietest cards they've tested and it will be more than adequate for your resolution and the games you mentioned.