New version of SETIDriver....may be able to run on systems with Outlook and other problems...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Smoke

Distributed Computing Elite Member
Jan 3, 2001
I am not aware of any Service Install that uses SetiDriver. Whenever I get questions about Service Installs I have been able to provide this link as my best source of "possible" answers.

Shuxclams Seti Service Install Page

If there is a way to install SetiDriver as a "Service" I really wish someone would post how to do it. :)

IsOs

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
My SETI service installation files uses SETI Driver. The W2k version will work on NT 4.0 as well. I do have a modified version that I'm using with Windows XP. Just remember to replace the userinfo.sah with your own otherwise you'll donate workunits to my name;)

IsOs

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Smoke
I am not aware of any Service Install that uses SetiDriver. Whenever I get questions about Service Installs I have been able to provide this link as my best source of "possible" answers.

If there is a way to install SetiDriver as a "Service" I really wish someone would post how to do it. :)

Here's how I do it.:)
Put instsrv.exe and srvany.exe into C:\Windows\system32 for Windows XP or C:\WINNT\system32 for Windows 2000 or NT 4.
Then create a subdirectory C:\Windows\system32\sah or C:\WINNT\system32\sah.
Place your SETI Driver files into the sah subdirectory. Run SETI Driver to configure it the way you want it.
Then install SETI Driver as service using instsrv.exe and srvany.exe.
You then go to services and start the service.

I do have the set of files in a zip format with an installation batch file available, just follow the direction. The zip files were updated and SETI Driver is set to low priority/force idle.:)

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Excellent! ,your da man!:D

For you ----> :beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:.......................I think that's enough;)

screw3d

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Originally posted by: screw3d
Everytime when explorer crashes, the SETI Driver icon would disappear from the system tray although it is still running. I need to manually end process and start SETI driver again for it to display in the system tray. Would they ever fix this or could I do this on my own?

Err.. anyone?

Smoke

Jan 3, 2001
Everytime when explorer crashes, the SETI Driver icon would disappear from the system tray although it is still running. I need to manually end process and start SETI driver again for it to display in the system tray. Would they ever fix this or could I do this on my own?

Err.. anyone?
I seriously doubt there will be any more work on SetiDriver with the end of it's useful life so near. If you think you can fix it ... give it a go. ;)

I don't think the problem is that critical. When EXPLORER crashes it is probably a good time to REBOOT anyway. :p :D

Smoke

Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: IsOs
Originally posted by: Smoke

Here's how I do it.:)
Put instsrv.exe and srvany.exe into C:\Windows\system32 for Windows XP or C:\WINNT\system32 for Windows 2000 or NT 4.
Then create a subdirectory C:\Windows\system32\sah or C:\WINNT\system32\sah.
Place your SETI Driver files into the sah subdirectory. Run SETI Driver to configure it the way you want it.
Then install SETI Driver as service using instsrv.exe and srvany.exe.
You then go to services and start the service.

I do have the set of files in a zip format with an installation batch file available, just follow the direction. The zip files were updated and SETI Driver is set to low priority/force idle.:)

Ekeka, Mahalo Nui Loa! :D

Now where can I (We) get this zip file? :D

Since you have answered my original question so handily ... here is one more request:

Can the above routine be constructed in such a way that will facilitate its installation on a very large LAN (consisting of hundreds of computers)? :Q

Shuxclams

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I see what Isos has done.... It requires that each PC be configured manually... however if you (the end user) create a unique installation you could concievably intsall across a large LAN.

SHUX

Smoke

Jan 3, 2001
Shuxs wrote, " .... if you (the end user) create a unique installation you could concievably intsall across a large LAN."

If I understand this correctly the only problem is that the first WU will end up being crunched by all of the LAN computers resulting in duplicates. But if it gets things going IMHO it will definitely be worth the redundant WUs :)

Ben98SentraSE

Aug 26, 2000
Thanks for trying to come up with some things so far, guys, but in order for me to reinstall this on my network again I need something invisible and quick like Flexinstaller. I DO NOT want a tray icon on these PCs. Is there some freeware app that you can permanently change the Process Priority Class and Thread Priority Class on computers on your Windows domain as long as you have admin priviledges? If you can find me that tool, I will try this on a few machines and see if it works properly. Also, how can I view what the Process Priority Class and Thread Priority Class for particular tasks are so I can make sure they are at that priority?

Smoke

Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Ben98SentraSE
Thanks for trying to come up with some things so far, guys, but in order for me to reinstall this on my network again I need something invisible and quick like Flexinstaller. I DO NOT want a tray icon on these PCs. Is there some freeware app that you can permanently change the Process Priority Class and Thread Priority Class on computers on your Windows domain as long as you have admin priviledges? If you can find me that tool, I will try this on a few machines and see if it works properly. Also, how can I view what the Process Priority Class and Thread Priority Class for particular tasks are so I can make sure they are at that priority?
The SetiDriver Service Install that Is0s has outlined will do what you want. :)