Question new upcoming intel cpu

hardcore_gamer29

Jul 24, 2013
should i wait for upcoming intel cpu for gaming pc or go with 9th generation when they are on discount? i play mainly games only like battlefield series and metro series

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
Upcoming Intel CPUs aren't going to offer much more.

They may move to 10nm for desktop but when they do, I expect they won't be as good for gaming, or probably won't see as many gains as we would expect.

What resolution are you playing at? What's your GPU? What's your budget?

At 1440p with a 2080 Ti, the 9900K only has a 2.5% FPS benefit over the 3700X or, if you don't do anything more than browse the web and listen to music and game, the 9400F.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
should i wait for upcoming intel cpu for gaming pc or go with 9th generation when they are on discount? i play mainly games only like battlefield series and metro series
If you like Battlefield, you will probably want to go with Ryzen 3000 series, they are already nicely discounted and they will be even more discounted, as the launch of 4000 series desktop Ryzen draws near later this year.
If you really wanna go with Intel for whatever reason, the upcoming Comet Lake will lessen the milking intel applied thus far. They should come out in 1-2 months at most (you will get more threads for the same money). Z390 is practically a dead platform anyway, so unless you get something for close to free, there's no real upside for going with 9th series Intel CPUs right now.

Reactions: Jimzz

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
Comet Lake-S won't offer much for gaming over CoffeeLake.
While what you say is ultimately true, it's also a bit out of context in this topic. I don't think it's sound advice to steer someone towards buying any current gen. Intel when building a new computer.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Like me just wait, then wait some more till a game warrants like lets say a 8c/16t chip. Given both new upcoming consoles will be using 16 threads, a 4700x or 10700k may be the options to opt for. Doing just fine with a 7700k, not into BF1 and BF5 as i think they are trash but for everything i currently play this 7700k is above and beyond the call of duty.

First time in years i ran into a massive cpu bottleneck with half of what i play, the 1080 ti destroys 1080p titles like no ones business then the 7700k is like well have a nice day there 1080ti. I am ultimately curious what Cyberpunk2077 will demand, THAT may get me upgrading but its gonna be a Oct/Nov upgrade. My guess? Prob whatever cpu is out and delivers the best fps unless Comet demands its own nuclear power plant and equally as bad cooling.

REALLY need some new games to make me warrant spending a dollar, at least i could have some fun with a potential Antec 900 to CM H500P Mesh swap. That or deck the Antec 900 so much with cfm fans i could just push a button and send it off into space. About as exciting as the pc will be till end of year.

Last edited:

Khato

Golden Member
Jul 15, 2001
As has already been said, don't expect anything new of interest from Intel... except I'd add that they're going to continue to offer price cuts in order to remain competitive in the mainstream market. Evidence of such is already apparent in the current pricing of the i5-9400F at what has historically been entry-level i3 territory. So if the desire is for a 'budget' CPU that performs almost on par with the high end, the i5-9400F is a solid option. The Ryzen 5 2600 is priced the same, but does lag behind slightly. Stepping up to the next tier costs 50% more for little more gain than potential future-proofing.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Yeah AMD smacking Intel around a good bit right down to the legendary cheap 1600af ,good luck competing with that one Intel. Not even a discounted 9400f is interesting to me, ok sorta if its a CSGO/LOL/BF4 build perhaps it would deliver the most fps there for sure but Newegg is smoking something quite good and not sharing it with its $159 price tag. I assume thats inflatation for lack of stock?

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Yeah AMD smacking Intel around a good bit right down to the legendary cheap 1600af ,good luck competing with that one Intel. Not even a discounted 9400f is interesting to me, ok sorta if its a CSGO/LOL/BF4 build perhaps it would deliver the most fps there for sure but Newegg is smoking something quite good and not sharing it with its $159 price tag. I assume thats inflatation for lack of stock?
I don't see that. All I see is the 1600 at $101

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
While what you say is ultimately true, it's also a bit out of context in this topic. I don't think it's sound advice to steer someone towards buying any current gen. Intel when building a new computer.

Well let's face it, OP is only talking Intel. He never mentioned any of the other products coming out this year. On desktop, Intel has nothing for sure excerpt Comet Lake-S, which is probably going to be less than 3% improved for gaming over 9900KS/overclocked 9900K. Rumours of some quasi-desktop TigerLake part are still floating around, but they're just that: rumours. Rocket Lake-S isn't until next year, and Alder Lake-S isn't until late next year, assuming all goes well. The landscape for future Intel products is pretty bleak. I wouldn't expect any improvements to their gaming lineup until next year. And it's not clear how well Rocket Lake-S is really going to do if Intel suffers the inevitable reduction in core count vs. Comet Lake. It'll probably be some faster per clock, but we haven't seen clockspeeds yet, and games that are starting to use more cores may not like it either.

Unless people are just holding out for discounts that may never emerge, I can't really recommend any Intel product but CoffeeLake for gaming at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: scannall

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Well let's face it, OP is only talking Intel. He never mentioned any of the other products coming out this year. On desktop, Intel has nothing for sure excerpt Comet Lake-S, which is probably going to be less than 3% improved for gaming over 9900KS/overclocked 9900K. Rumours of some quasi-desktop TigerLake part are still floating around, but they're just that: rumours. Rocket Lake-S isn't until next year, and Alder Lake-S isn't until late next year, assuming all goes well.

Round and round we go on the rumor mill, i can be perfectly content if the 4000 series demolishes Intel at competitive prices. I was hoping for some sort of fight no matter how unlikely Comet is to compete. I doubt it will to be honest but i do love a good surprise. :)

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
Well let's face it, OP is only talking Intel. He never mentioned any of the other products coming out this year. On desktop, Intel has nothing for sure excerpt Comet Lake-S, which is probably going to be less than 3% improved for gaming over 9900KS/overclocked 9900K. Rumours of some quasi-desktop TigerLake part are still floating around, but they're just that: rumours. Rocket Lake-S isn't until next year, and Alder Lake-S isn't until late next year, assuming all goes well. The landscape for future Intel products is pretty bleak. I wouldn't expect any improvements to their gaming lineup until next year. And it's not clear how well Rocket Lake-S is really going to do if Intel suffers the inevitable reduction in core count vs. Comet Lake. It'll probably be some faster per clock, but we haven't seen clockspeeds yet, and games that are starting to use more cores may not like it either.

Unless people are just holding out for discounts that may never emerge, I can't really recommend any Intel product but CoffeeLake for gaming at this point.
I completely disagree with you on recommending CFL or any current new Intel buys, but that's why it's beautiful (though sometimes also nervewrecking) that people are different :)

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Round and round we go on the rumor mill, i can be perfectly content if the 4000 series demolishes Intel at competitive prices. I was hoping for some sort of fight no matter how unlikely Comet is to compete. I doubt it will to be honest but i do love a good surprise. :)

Hey, keep your fingers crossed. Intel is basically signaling that they won't compete though.

I completely disagree with you on recommending CFL or any current new Intel buys, but that's why it's beautiful (though sometimes also nervewrecking) that people are different :)

Remember, the OP is asking about Intel products. What else would you have him buy? A 10900k for gaming? Realistically-speaking, they have nothing else coming until Rocket Lake-S. And there is a non-trivial chance of that getting cancelled if the market window for that product is too short. Comet Lake-S is already heavily delayed.

Reactions: mopardude87

Khato

Golden Member
Jul 15, 2001
Guess I should have specified the actual current pricing of $120 from major retailers for both the i5-9400F and Ryzen 5 2600. I'd expect that trend of Intel offering competitive pricing to AMD to continue... and that such is about the only move of interest from Intel for the year.

Personally, I'll continue recommending whichever processor represents the best value for the end-users need at the time. eg, currently the Ryzen 5 2600 would be better if use-case was affected by SMT, whereas i5-9400F is better for gaming/general use. That picture changes at each price point though. Hurray for there being choices available once more.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
Hey, keep your fingers crossed. Intel is basically signaling that they won't compete though.

Remember, the OP is asking about Intel products. What else would you have him buy? A 10900k for gaming? Realistically-speaking, they have nothing else coming until Rocket Lake-S. And there is a non-trivial chance of that getting cancelled if the market window for that product is too short. Comet Lake-S is already heavily delayed.
I just meant nothing on a 300 series platform, that's it.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
What benefit would a gamer get from going LGA1200?
This is the problem. There is no good Intel solution, but thats what he asked about. So AMD suggestions are coming.

OP, so we can stay on topic, are you open to an AMD solution, or do you only want guesses about what Intel MIGHT have in the next 6 months,. ????

Reactions: scannall

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018

LOL not exactly a shocker, i was hoping the team i have been using since i ever got into pc gaming would just do just last miracle.....that's just fine i see no game coming out that demands more then my 7700k/1080 ti 1080p set up so i could wait well into 2021 prob before i need any upgrade. Worst case 3700x/mobo/ram upgrade for Cyberpunk2077 and be set 3 years end of this year?

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Worst case 3700x/mobo/ram upgrade for Cyberpunk2077 and be set 3 years end of this year?

If you want to stick with Team Blue, your next best bet is Alder Lake, whenever that actually shows up. I'm not too optimistic about anything else from them. A 3700x is already going down in price, and should get pretty cheap soon.

This is the problem. There is no good Intel solution, but thats what he asked about.

Well there is but there isn't. A 9900k isn't exactly going to make you die of humiliation. It's still going to be pretty good for awhile. Feature-wise, I'm not sure what LGA1200 brings to the table with Comet Lake-S that Z390 doesn't have already. People are still arguing about PCIe 4.0 support on Comet Lake-S boards. Will it be there? I'm not sure that a gamer would much care. Yes, PCIe 4.0 NVMe drives are faster in sequential read/write situations, but games do not often present you with those situations. Z390 already has some boards with wifi6 so that's covered. Truth is, Intel-based solutions are just stuck in a rut. They aren't improving. So it's not that they're bad per se . . . in 2018, it was the chip to get, for awhile. It's just not getting any better.

Last edited:

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
If you want to stick with Team Blue, your next best bet is Alder Lake, whenever that actually shows up. I'm not too optimistic about anything else from them. A 3700x is already going down in price, and should get pretty cheap soon.

All i care about is maximum performance without having to go to extremes, i care about bang for buck in some cases too, so i would certainly pay 50% less for a cpu that is 20% slower then another one.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
All i care about is maximum performance without having to go to extremes, i care about bang for buck in some cases too, so i would certainly pay 50% less for a cpu that is 20% slower then another one.

3800x might be more up your alley, depending on what core count you actually want. 3700x is a good bargain, but you can squeeze higher clocks out of a 3800x without too much effort. That's assuming you don't need more than 8c. Once Vermeer launches, everything Matisse will go down in price.

Reactions: mopardude87