New U.S. diet guide recommends fewer calories, more exercise

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: b0mbrman
Originally posted by: PatrickBateman
great.........a new fad for the media to plaster all over the place
Exercising and eating right is a "new fad"?

fad = sh1t that electicutes as a work out, atkins etc.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Ulfwald
Yeah, I am a fat ass, but I am trying to do something about it. I have lost down from 370 lbs to 324 (just weighed in at Gold's Gym this morning) I have hired a personal trainer to help keep me going, and I have also changed my diet drastically. No more fast food, no more drive thrus, Cut out breads and refined sugars, got rid of the sodas, lots more fruits and vegetables, and plenty of exercise. I do 30 minutes in the morning on a treadmill, get my heart rate up to about 140, then hit the free weights for 4 sets of 8 each exercise, concentrating on one muscle group a day, then do a 15 minute cool down on the treadmill. Hit the showers then off to work.

at least there's someone with a brain. One you get down to where you wanna be, send your before and after pics to Men's health mag. They always have a page on people who changed their life over :thumbsup:

gotsmack

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2001
I have hired a personal trainer to help keep me going, and I have also changed my diet drastically

How much does a personal trainer cost?

Ulfwald

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
May 27, 2000
My wife and I get 1 session each a week,(as in 2 sessions a week) for a month for about 279.00. so that is 8 sessions at 279.00. A little expensive, but I have be around to watch my son graduate. I have also lowered my Blood pressure, my cholesterol, and started reversing the potential of diabetes. I do have the before pics, and I have to say I am completely disgusted with the way I allowed myself to become.

I could go to the beach and sell shade. but if I did go to the beach, PETA would try and roll me back in. :D

Anyway, just to let you know, My wife and I are doing the Dr. Phil weightloss plan. And it is working. just by altering my eating a bit more than I already was, I lost 10 lbs this week.

The trainer says I have 230 lbs of lean muscle mass. so I have about 90 more lbs to go. All I can say is that I am feeling better, and that I do have more energy.

I intend to keep going until I am at a healthy stopping point, then alter my eating to maintain that healthy weight. I will also continue to exercise so that I stay there as well.

gotsmack

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2001
My wife and I get 1 session each a week,(as in 2 sessions a week) for a month for about 279.00. so that is 8 sessions at 279.00. A little expensive, but I have be around to watch my son graduate. I have also lowered my Blood pressure, my cholesterol, and started reversing the potential of diabetes. I do have the before pics, and I have to say I am completely disgusted with the way I allowed myself to become.

I could go to the beach and sell shade. but if I did go to the beach, PETA would try and roll me back in. :D

Anyway, just to let you know, My wife and I are doing the Dr. Phil weightloss plan. And it is working. just by altering my eating a bit more than I already was, I lost 10 lbs this week.

The trainer says I have 230 lbs of lean muscle mass. so I have about 90 more lbs to go. All I can say is that I am feeling better, and that I do have more energy.

I intend to keep going until I am at a healthy stopping point, then alter my eating to maintain that healthy weight. I will also continue to exercise so that I stay there as well.

1/2 hour or 1 hour sessions and do you share the same hour with your wife or does she get her own seperate hour? also is the gym an additional fee or are you covered for that hour?

hysperion

May 12, 2004
BTW, My trainer's step father DIED on the Atkins Diet. What did he die of...................??????????????? Cornary Artery Disease. MAJOR FLIPPING HEART ATTACK!!!!!, all 4 arteries to the heart wer 90% or better BLOCKED!!! No chance of recovery, he just keeled over right there. Yeah, she says he was as thin as a rail, but his cholesterol was terrible, and his BP was off the charts.

I have lost a lot of weight the past few months, but I am moderating everything, proteins, carbs, sugar, veggies, etc. Rather than 1 big honkin meal a day, I now eat 5-6 small meals a day, mostly consisting of veggies/fruit, and lots of water. I drink 3 52 ounce mugs of water a day. so I know that when I lose 10 lbs in a week, it is not water weight. It is actual fat.

A pound of fat is on the order of 4,000 calories so I doubt you're losing 10 puunds of pure fat/40,000 calories a week as that would require nearly 6,000 calories a day as well as what you're consuming. I may be wrong on the info as I haven't looked it up in awhile and I know that the bigger you are the more you need to eat to maintain weight. However, awesome job with your weight loss, I trimmed down from 195 to 165 over the last 6 months eating quizno's, subway, and the guiltless menu at chili's (2 meals a day) along with 2 hours of jiu jitsu every day and alternating between running, marching, and situps/pushups as well.

hysperion

May 12, 2004
No, what happened to fat bastard? I am losing about 4-5 lbs a week, there fore I am losing it right on schedule.

After seeing this I take back what I said, that seems alot more reasonable then 10.....

remagavon

Platinum Member
Jun 16, 2003

This isn't meant as a stab at you, but why is your heatrate only 140 after 30 mins on a treadmill? I thought the target rate was much higher.