New TV Plasma or Backlit LCD?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
I'm sure you can find other articles, but the bottom line is, Laservue is a DAMN good TV, comparable to any of the highest-end TV's on the market today, picture-wise.

Agreed that Laservue isn't bad, but even that comparison confirms my major point- its black levels are lacking compared to a Kuro and probably any current high-end Panasonic plasma.

Kuro's colors were their only weakness so I can see how the Laservue can beat them there. My ST50 doesn't have the black level quite up to my friend's Kuro but I like the colors better. I personally feel a VT50 is therefore a better TV than a Laservue across the board.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Is your computer monitor calibrated so that you can accurately make that judgement? Also, what's its color gamut?

Comparing PQ on the internets with photos is ridiculous at best.

My config at work aside (and which of my 4 monitors, or laptop on my desk shall I tell you about?) it's a simple comparison. You can crack open photoshop (which I did) and compare the colors if you like which negates the whole monitor issue. The one on the left has more yellow to it.

Unfortunately, there's no way to compare TVs well with just a photo you look at. Did they take the photo with the same white balance, for example? Things such as black levels however are easier to spot, and that DLP doesn't have good black levels.

Yeah, so? That's when Kuros were still being made. Today's plasmas at still trying to best them. Might even be there, now.

I don't call that comparison favorable, and as Childs pointed out, that's the only link. More than that, the site they're citing is dead. Panasonic picked up most if not all of Pioneer's patents, and their Viera plasmas have been on the rise since. Regardless, even an older viera (from say 2008) will still look better than DLPs and LCDs, IMO. My view is that I can calibrate the display and should, and that black levels matter more to me overall. We each have our own preferences.

Last edited:

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
Agreed that Laservue isn't bad, but even that comparison confirms my major point- its black levels are lacking compared to a Kuro and probably any current high-end Panasonic plasma.

Kuro's colors were their only weakness so I can see how the Laservue can beat them there. My ST50 doesn't have the black level quite up to my friend's Kuro but I like the colors better. I personally feel a VT50 is therefore a better TV than a Laservue across the board.

I sounds to me like your conclusion should be that you the VT50 is equal to the Laservue across the board. Colors is where the article I quoted said the Laservue was better, just like you said the VT50 was. And Laservue would be the better set for gaming and watching fast-moving things like sports, as even any regular DLP would. And DLP's use less power, if that matters to anyone.

Anyway, all I was ever saying was, Laservue should be an option for anyone who isn't concerned with the TV being thicker and doesn't want it wall-mounted. Check them out.
I'm probably going with an ST or VT also, mainly to hang it on the wall, otherwise I'd seriously consider the Laservue.

As someone mentioned previously, the differences between these high-end sets is very, very minimal. You are splitting hairs to find any noticeable difference.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
As someone mentioned previously, the differences between these high-end sets is very, very minimal. You are splitting hairs to find any noticeable difference.

Maybe I'm overly picky then. Well, no - I am. I just enjoy the black levels my plasma affords me, they're noticeably better than any DLP or LCD I've watched on, forgetting local dimming because they always looked to flicker some. It's always a nice feeling when the black of a scene looks as black as the bezel. To most people, that probably doesn't matter.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you get it for? From what I've seen they're going for about $4K now (street price), with the 70X5 going for about $5K.

I got it for $3100. I think it's time for a new model, and that's why.

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
Anyone aware of any BF discounts coming up on either of the two suggestions in this thread (vt50 or hx950)? I'm in a similar boat as the OP and looking to upgrade. Thanks!

Owls

Feb 22, 2006
I purchased the VT50 today from BB for 3299. Cheaper than Amazon at the moment but hard to find in stores so you will have to get it shipped.

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
I actually got BB to price match the 55vt50 to Abe's of Maine. Got it for $1895 down from $2499. Still breaking it in, but DAMN that picture is nice. Couldn't be happier.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Xmas is over and getting ready to pull the trigger on a VT50.
Was wondering if the VT50 has a setting for overscan?

I have a pc hooked to my present Panasonic plasma and have an issue with overscan. I have to go into the Nvidia control panel and squeeze the sides/top/bottom in a bit so the desktop isn't cut off. This TV has no setting to turn overscan on or off. I actually can't run the tiles on Windows 8 because of it. 8 doesn't like the resolution and won't open the apps. I run start8 so it isn't an issue but I want to run the new TV in full HD.

For clarification I am passing the signal from pc to tv via a dvi to hdmi cable over an 8800GTS card.
I am building a new pc that will have a GTX 660Ti with hdmi to hdmi.

Last edited:

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Xmas is over and getting ready to pull the trigger on a VT50.
Was wondering if the VT50 has a setting for overscan?

I have a pc hooked to my present Panasonic plasma and have an issue with overscan. I have to go into the Nvidia control panel and squeeze the sides/top/bottom in a bit so the desktop isn't cut off. This TV has no setting to turn overscan on or off. I actually can't run the tiles on Windows 8 because of it. 8 doesn't like the resolution and won't open the apps. I run start8 so it isn't an issue but I want to run the new TV in full HD.

For clarification I am passing the signal from pc to tv via a dvi to hdmi cable over an 8800GTS card.
I am building a new pc that will have a GTX 660Ti with hdmi to hdmi.

You most likely have an older 720p which had an issue with that. You should be good with the new VT50.

Cpus

Apr 20, 2012
Mitsubishi WD-92842. 92 inch 3d smart internet connected tv. 3000 shipped and installed from pauls tv or amazon.