New Trump NYT interview. He's the bestest as usual.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Whatever Donald Trump's twisted views on fairness and law are, we can't let those ridiculous views influence us from upholding real fairness, justice, and the law. The privilege Donald Trump enjoys won't prevent the hammer of justice and constitutional democracy from falling on his baked on combover.

What really gets me is America is being f'd over for Donald Trump. Of all people, Donald Trump. What the hell are we doing?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Trump is simply the world's greatest charlatan. I figure he's so good at it that he even fools himself about half the time.

Somebody had to take the crown atop the giant mountain of disinformation & lies spread by televangelists, talk radio hosts & right wing propagandists for the last few decades.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

jana519

Jul 12, 2014
What really gets me is America is being f'd over for Donald Trump. Of all people, Donald Trump. What the hell are we doing?

I think it's at least partially that Trump is an incompetent, ignorant, chaotic leader. If he was competent, informed, and orderly he would have been fallen by criminal indictments much quicker. Probably an overly simplistic view but pertinent.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Also what is the point of interviewing someone who lies about literally everything? What are you hoping to learn?

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Also what is the point of interviewing someone who lies about literally everything? What are you hoping to learn?

Because you never know what he's going to say. He essentially admitted to obstruction of justice in that Holt interview. Ask him enough questions and he'll eventually hang himself.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Trump is simply the world's greatest charlatan. I figure he's so good at it that he even fools himself about half the time.

Somebody had to take the crown atop the giant mountain of disinformation & lies spread by televangelists, talk radio hosts & right wing propagandists for the last few decades.

Is he really that good at it, or are the people who believe him just that gullible?

I personally think his lies are transparent.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Is he really that good at it, or are the people who believe him just that gullible?

I personally think his lies are transparent.

Con men & charlatans have preyed on the gullible since the dawn of humanity, I'm sure. The proof of Trump's prowess is in the result. He just built on the culture war con that the GOP has been running since Gingrich & before. He tapped into all the bullshit his followers already believed in, whipped it up to a feverish pitch. I'm sure that the GOP leadership was just as surprised as everybody else that he could get away with being so blatant a manipulator. He took it to a level they had not dared, and won, against all reason.

OTOH, they're not an actual majority & never will be. I try to look at the bright side.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Con men & charlatans have preyed on the gullible since the dawn of humanity, I'm sure. The proof of Trump's prowess is in the result. He just built on the culture war con that the GOP has been running since Gingrich & before. He tapped into all the bullshit his followers already believed in, whipped it up to a feverish pitch. I'm sure that the GOP leadership was just as surprised as everybody else that he could get away with being so blatant a manipulator. He took it to a level they had not dared, and won, against all reason.

OTOH, they're not an actual majority & never will be. I try to look at the bright side.

I view Trump's success as a natural convergence of his personality and beliefs with a certain segment of the population. For example, Trump has quite obviously been a bigot for entire life. He doesn't just fake the bigotry for his audience.

He does lie to manipulate people, but those people are predisposed to believe him because he's just the sort of person they tend to believe. All of which has little to do with his talent as a manipulator. He's actually one of the worst liars I've ever encountered in public life.

The personality which attracts them is real - he's not actually all that complicated. What's on the surface is the real Trump. But the lies themselves are completely sophomoric.

If Trump was a sophisticated manipulator, he wouldn't, for example, wear his childish narcissism on his sleeve. I know a guy who is an absolutely certifiable narcissist but he's much cleverer than Trump because he tries to mask his narcissism with self-deprecating humor.

It's not that Trump is so good at this. It's that his audience is just that gullible. They're easy marks.

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Finally sat down and read all the articles.

I think the real problem here is not Donald so much as his staff. If you think a 71 year old man needs constant babysitting, YOU are the fucking problem.
Leave the guy alone. Let him see what its like to fend for himself just one day. Maybe if we're lucky he'll go completely off the rails then quit when he sees how dumb and ignorant he truly is. Stop protecting a loser. It only causes problems.

Forgot to post my favorite article:
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/12/29/16829806/trump-interview-new-york-times

This is the best one because the first few lines flat out state exactly what the problem is. The guy is sick. And ignoring it is an even bigger problem.

The man was always an asshole, since he could first speak. But now we've got someone who's been told for 70 years its OK for him to be an asshole AND he's mildly demented. Donald is clearly experiencing the very early stages of Alzheimers and since no one is willing to admit it, he'll just get worse and do horrible things as the President.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/29/...t&contentID=WhatsNext&src=recg&pgtype=article

This one is actually kinda sad and scary. I already know that no matter what he says or does, the poor guy is gonna be vilified by the fucking Trump administration. Donald and Kellyanne and Sarah are gonna say the nastiest things about this poor man until he has a damn nervous breakdown. And their sycophants will spew bullshit for weeks about it. People like Alex Jones and most of Fox News. I feel sorry for him. Especially because he had no choice. When the president of the United States tells you to come over and do a one-on-one interview with him, you can't say "no".

Last edited: