News New Toyota GR Corolla - 300 HP, AWD, MT Only

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
North America is getting the cousin to the GR Yaris. A GR Corolla with all the same gear:

2023-Toyota-GR-Corolla-reveal-9.jpg

The newly announced 2023 Toyota GR Corolla gets a revised version of the G16E-GTS turbocharged 1.6-liter three-cylinder engine that makes 300 horsepower, or some 185.4 horsepower per liter.

A six-speed manual is the only transmission, and the shift lever sits adjacent to a prominent pull-style handbrake.

The standard GR Four all-wheel-drive system offers three driver-selectable front/rear torque splits, plus available Torsen limited-slip differentials.

North Americans who were paying attention were mighty upset when it was announced that the rally-inspired Toyota GR Yaris and its turbocharged three-cylinder engine that delivers 257 horsepower and 266 pound-feet of torque wasn’t coming to America. At the time it was said to be the most powerful production three-banger in the world, but Toyota's Gazoo Racing has significantly upped the ante to an even 300 hp and 273 pound-feet for the just-announced Toyota GR Corolla that is absolutely coming to our shores later this year.

Reactions: Elfear and KeithP

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Subaru STI exits stage left
GR Corolla enters stage right.

Gotta see that pricing once it they figure out the MSRP.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
I'd think at least 35K for the entry model. Over 40K for the Launch Edition with Carbon Roof and Torsen differentials.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
hmm, interesting. I was briefly intrigued by their "TRD" Camry and their various XSE lines or whatever...only to quickly learn that they are just garbage body kits for shitty stupid boring cars.

This, looks like a real thing. hmmm.

wtf...1.6L 3 cylinder? lol. awesome. I wonder what it sounds like. Didn't realize it was the same engine in the Yaris, which I know basically nothing about because they aren't over here. ...explains the extra HP "required." this thing is quite a bit larger than the Yaris.

But shit, that's efficient. I lol to think what GM was building as recently as the late 90s....5L for 175 HP or whatthehellever? Jesus.

Last edited: